I've been looking for floor standing speakers with little success!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris C, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last! Thread Starter

With all of this speaker searching I have found that you guys around Virginia have a LOT of dealers of the stuff that I'd love to audition near you. Up here in my neck of the woods in Northeast Ohio, it's mostly smaller brands that nobody has heard of. Our biggest dealer in these parts is a musician and a guy who loves only expensive speakers that can make an instrument sound like an instrument. Well hell, isn't that what ALL of us really want? I just want my speakers to not cost as much as a house or a car and that they can, if I wish, play them with similar quality, at volume 4 or 11 (Note: I rarely play my music THAT loud).

2. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I would think Revel would have something nice in your price range.

timind likes this.
  3. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

My Rega dealer is one block from where I work. I live in Southwest Va in the mountains, but in driving distance to Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh, And Charlotte NC. The dealer that carries Dynaudio is in WS. He also carries Naim, KEF, Rega, Clearaudio, and several more lines. He has the Chorus 60 and 30 for demo. KEF Reference And Blade 2’s on the floor also Has the Blades in a 6000 cubic ft room and they need it to not overpower the room. Close to the Smokies too:)

Chris C likes this.
  4. Chris C

Good choice, I actually already auditioned BOTH the f228Be (is that the $10,000 dollar model?) and the one below it (that was $5,000). Both are great sounding speakers and they are still on my short list. Outside of the beryllium tweeter, I'm not sure that the $5,000 price difference is truly worth it. My biggest fear of buying Revel now is that they are owned by Harmon Kardon and do I really need to say more???

unclefred likes this.
  5. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Probably a dumb question but have you listened to the 804D3s? If so, what didn't you like about them?

6. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Perhaps a pair of Dual Concentric Tannoys could be interesting to audition. To my ears they are great for classic rock at high volume, and they have great midrange. With your budget I would recommend their Prestige series, Kensington model (used) or Turnberry (new).

7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It's not channel cancelling, it's interaural crosstalk cancellation. Once you hear SDA's it's really hard to go back to plain stereo. They will not be available to purchase until the first week in November, but are being demo'd at select dealers now.

Sneaky Pete and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Chris C

I've been wanting to hear those Tannoys, as I bet that they'd be right up my alley!

9. Chris C

You clearly should work for them, as you are certainly one of their biggest cheerleaders! My thinking with any of that "scientific" thinking is, "if it was so great way back when, then why did they stop doing it"? Those little cliches like SDA, have always seemed like a sales "gimmick" to me personally. I hope that POLK have success with their new speakers, but I fear that they may have bastardized their stance a bit by giving their last speakers away at half price or more and those were speakers that the POLK fans seemed to love.

10. Chris C

Not a dumb question at all, but I've done the 800 series already and while they are truly great speakers, I'm just ready to move on to something new, plus, I have always hated that damned tweeter on the top, which have always been a disaster just waiting to happen!

11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

GoldenEar Triton 1 Ref. They have built-in powered sub-woofers that blend in seamlessly.

Twinsfan007, BayouTiger and thegage like this.
  12. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I heard them first time around Comb filtering and don’t move your head to get the effect. Think I will pass

13. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

If my budget were $10K I would look hard at the Dynaudio Contour 60. I was going to buy a pair, but then I fell into a great deal on a pair of Confidence C2 Platinum. If you have the amp to push a lot of current at 4Ω look into a pair of Confidence C2 ($16K retail). Any dealers with them in stock will be motivated to sell them since they are discontinued, with the new Confidence 20 and 30 on the way.

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

best i have heard at your budget are the bowers and wilkins 804 d3. you must listen. smooth as silk yet micro resolution the defies realism.
    second best are the spendor D9. speed, detail and star burst dynamics.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  15. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Spendor D11? Is that new or am I just clueless on Spendor models despite owning D7s?

16. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Just goes to show that different folks have different tastes. I have heard the 802 through the 805 at Audio Advice in Charlotte and like none of them.

17. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

LOL....it's impossible for them to comb filter.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The market changed in the early '90's. People didn't want large wide speakers. Guess what, large wide speakers are coming back.

You're doing yourself a disservice by not listening to them.

Fruff76 and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

When they come out, go for it. I heard them all years ago. Not my cup of tea, I doubt anything has changed

20. avanti1960

amp and source? they sounded really nice with a 200 WPC mac amp and cd player

21. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You couldn't be more wrong.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Audio Research and VPI. Don’t remember the model numbers

23. avanti1960

my mistake.

24. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

That’s fine. Last Polks I liked were the 10’s.

25. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Just curious....did you mean the D7 or D9?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.