I've Finally Done It...My Top 100 Albums Of All Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Synthfreek, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Question - is this a current list, or an all-time list? I ask because of the "burnout" factor that many of us have for certain classics or favorites that we have just heard too much.

2. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Yeah, the recent desert island 10 only I chose only items which HAVE stood the long test of time and I find I still enjoy them a lot. (only one, and the only Pop/Rock of my ten was also not that old. but it was a hopefully i would like it forever.)
    So yeah that desert island ten was not my current top ten at all. it was stuff I knew I could be happy with forever as the ony music I could listen to ever again.

3. wayved

wayved Guest

Good list!

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Good point Elizabeth. Some new discovery may be in next year's "to sell" pile! I just find it hard to rank art personally. Some music just hits me emotionally and I can't quantify how it makes me feel, like Blender magazine gives out 5 stars. Other albums send waves of nostalgia and happy memories, but would I play it more than once a year?

to OP, nice to see Boards of Canada, Future Sound of London, Aphex Twin and The Orb here on SHF!

5. PennyLanes

PennyLanes Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing about several posts made...just minus the "damn" ;) , then swap the "Vangelis" for "any album you might disagree with relative to your own personal list".

It's worth mentioning that the thread title does not read, "I Want Your Opinion: Please tell me where I went wrong in choosing My Top 100 Albums Of All Time". :tiphat:

6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity Thread Starter

All time...I'm not burned out on anything on my list...yet. I will make adjustments on the rateyourmusic site and will update the thread here if anything changes.

7. If you had named any other Malmsteen album, I would've lost all respect for you. :)

Oh, and: 49/100.

8. MusicalHeaven

MusicalHeaven Well-Known Member

I don't buy a single album of someone unless I fully embrace them.

Mitland likes this.
  9. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

Extra bonus points for including the Vampyros Lesbos soundtrack which I didn't see the first time I looked over the list! I've turned so many people on to this gem of an album. Groovy isn't a word I use any more but it sure fits this LP.

Synthfreek likes this.
  10. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I tried to make a top 100 albums list once, changed entirely the very next because I had this crazy theory that in order to have a definite 100 albums list I had to quit listening to music altogether or else the exercise would be pointless because you risk loving another album a little bit more after another listen or to add a new artist to you list after discovering one. But nice try!

11. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

Fish Rising!!

12. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Congratulations on putting together a top 100 list. I've heard 20 of these albums, but we only share 4 albums between your list and my 100 favorite: "Pet Sounds", "Loveless", the Replacements' "Let It Be", and Sleater-Kinney's "Dig Me Out" (all of which are terrific).

Lots of interesting picks from the one-album-per-artist rule. The only one that's a big surprise to me is R.E.M.'s "Green"--any particular reason you picked that one? Also, I'd love to hear why "In a Silent Way" is the Miles Davis album.

13. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

I really dig the Twin Peaks soundtrack getting a mention. Badalamenti has some really cool stuff.

14. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

You don't agree these are his top 100 albums?

15. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever seen any Top 10 list that included a Yngwie album. I applaud you.:edthumbs:

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I've only got 18 of those. Maybe 19. I can't remember which Cabaret Voltaire albums I own.

That forum 250 is more conservative than our local 'hits and memories' oldies station would compile.

troggy and nbakid2000 like this.
  17. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Pete Namnook is probably just as well known as Pete Namlook.
    My point was, while I respect everyone's musical taste, this is not exactly
    Something you would see in a top one hundred of all time list.
    Glen

18. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I like your list a lot.

Not because I agree with all the entries, because mine would likely be very different than yours -- I like it because it seems unique and not some SHTV or RYM rehash of the same classic rock / jazz titles. You've got some in there of course, but there's enough differences where it looks like you've really made it your own. :edthumbs:

19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

These :righton:

20. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Very nice to see a refreshing list not full of the usual albums.

21. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Oh my god...that is hilarious. Zing!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  22. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

I've been holding my breath for you to put this list up for ever :) and then you go and put Bowie ahead Bolan?? The Slider should have been way higher up the list but hey, it's your list!

23. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

Green is my favorite REM album too. The tip-top from a long hard slog up the mountain before the long slow decline down the mountain. "Dreams they complicate my mind"

ian christopher likes this.
  24. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I have 34 from your list... the list is pretty adventurous.

Zoot Marimba and Synthfreek like this.
  25. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

outstanding effort dude...and though, from my perspective, the majority of your picks indicate diminished aesthetic capacity from heavy crack use, I suspect each and every one of us could say the same about one another's recommendations....ah, the subjectivity of artistic expression and appreciation - hell, look at how much someone just paid for a painting of a blue ping-pong table this week! you people rock/have a great sabbath/katie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.