Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

I've Just Cut The Cord

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ALAN SICHERMAN, Mar 17, 2020.

1. misterjones

misterjones Forum Resident

I don't know what the "Time Warner mess" was or is. I moved into a new apartment in 2007, leaving TW behind in favor of RCN, for which the new building was wired. I then switched to Verizon because it had the Big 10 Network. Ah, the good old days of apolitical sports! I remember, however, that TW had the best DVR box. Maybe times have changed - e.g., way too much content now and disabled features because the cable provider doesn't want to deal with people who can't figure them out (like, I was told, the "picture-in-picture" or PIP button) - but that basic TW box worked better than anything I've had since. Oh, I'm sure new boxes hold more, but the search and channel guide functions were much better then. For example, you used to be able to save searches in case (say) a movie you wanted to watch would pop up down the road.

2. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I haven't had internet access in my house since I bought it 3 years ago. I watch the news on broadcast sometimes (it's been particularly interesting recently as you all know). I access this forum through my phone.

3. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

The glowing puck went out two decades ago. Although the technology is used to show the first down line in football broadcasts.

Large screen tvs and HD help enormously for what was once televising a hockey game is like pouring the Atlantic Ocean in a fishbowl as Stan Fischler once said. But you do need a sl0w mo and someone adapt enough to show how it was set up to truly appreciate what looks like pell mell.

4. misterjones

I have just "unwatched" this thread. It is these gratuitous comments that leads us down that forbidden path. Sure, it seems innocuous at first, but it is an invitation to further forbidden comments. There really is no point in saying anything but "I watch the news on broadcast sometimes" and leaving it at that.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I apologize for the offense!

What I meant was that until very recently I didn't even watch broadcast news, it wasn't sufficiently dramatic enough for me to bother.

misterjones likes this.
  6. misterjones

Not a problem. I'm learning myself. I note that I made a similar statement about my dislike for football (above) now as opposed to a few years ago. I didn't need to say why networks like BTN were important to me then but not now.

7. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Wow.

8. softl

softl Well-Known Member

As I've noted somewhere here, I enjoy the OTA MeTV broadcasts. But, I work 2nd shift maintaining a high pressure boiler and having a tablet on my desk keeps me awake. I have YoutubeTV and TUBI available but I'd like to watch MeTV if I can.

I downloaded the app and registered an account, however I can't figure out how to view the current programs. Anybody have any input/advice they'd like to share. TIA

9. geetar_await

geetar_await You bet yer sweet bippy I like music.

I cut the cable, too. Like almost all the lineup I can now get for free, and got back the TV and antenna costs thanks to garage sales and auctions. I am one cappy hamper.

10. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

When the wife and I were deciding to dump DirecTv, I was concerned about recording the network shows like THE BLACKLIST and YOUNG SHELDON that we liked if we went to a service without the local channels; being at the TV when these came on like we had to before VCRs simply isn't an option for us. I remember seeing a device that made me think it worked as a DVR for over-the-air broadcasts.

Since with we went with Roku and YouTubeTV, it wasn't anything I had to look into further, but a quick search showed several articles on OTA DVRs.

JcS

11. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

Also known as RECTUM.

Chris C and Veronica Mars like this.
  12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Ironically, that's exactly what my wife calls them! Lately, she can't get over that woman they chose for their "business" spots (supposedly filmed in Canada?). She's like, where did they find her and what's up with that hair? I personally have a huge problem with the "blue dress vs the blue set". These commercials are about as LOW budget regarding worth and bad actors as a company this size could possibly get.

13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

14. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

Install uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger and Ghostery, all free. Do some creative sleuthing online and you will be shocked what can be found live streaming. All the major sports, PGA and LPGA. Probably would break some rule to post the links here. Yes, this raises some ethical issues, but the never-ending upward creep of cable TV pricing is like a crime unto itself.