I've watched The Parallax view, re: plane travel in the US in the 70's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Uglyversal, May 24, 2022.

1. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is probably not what most people would expect here but there was a scene I just can't shake off and keeps coming back to my mind.

Just walking into a plane, getting a seat and paying for the ticket on the plane, I think the plane was already in flight.

Seems so surreal to me, I have a hard time imagining that as a possible.

Was that ever a thing in the US???

jbmcb likes this.
  2. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Yes. I first flew at age 5 in 1972. Our ride to the airport walked us right to the gate (I don't even remember a metal detector), and we boarded using one of those big staircase things.

3. Uglyversal

Amazing how things have changed!

Edgard Varese likes this.
  4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Paying for the ticket on the plane?!

Never my experience (I've been flying since the 1950's) ... was it some sort of small-town, commuter service in a small, single or double-prop plane (6 or 8 seats or something)?

Close as I've come to that experience that I can remember was, flying from Killeen, TX to Dallas in 1972, where you'd walk into the terminal and right to the ticket counter which was by the gate; buy ticket or collect boarding pass, walk out 20 yards or something to the airplane (which was something like a King Air, 8 or 10 seats).

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Scowl, carrick doone and longdist01 like this.
  5. Uglyversal

I don't know what type of plane, might have been a 707 or 737 at most, but not as small a 10 seat. It was a service from a lesser airline. If I am not getting my facts mixed up it was a plane supposedly leaving from LA which is were the Parallax offices were. However they boarded just walking through the Tarmac and up the stairs. At that time such large airport might not have been using them anymore. That is the reason I have my doubts about me mixing up the airport.

Most passengers had tickets already but they allowed Warren Beatty to pay on the spot $66 or so for the ticket, the air hostess collected the money. The plane was about to leave, I don't know whether that might have been a factor or whether all that was fictitious. I wouldn't expect a movie that is based on conspiracies to allow such a pot hole that would dent the credibility of the plot. What do you think?

longdist01 and bhazen like this.
  6. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

I just found this online as to some who claim they could buy the ticket on board the plane in the 70s.

How casual was air travel in 1974?

I used to ride the Eastern shuttle from Newark NJ to Boston regularly for business in the early to mid 80s but I do not remember ever seeing anyone buying their tickets on board though.
    I never did or knew it was an option.

EVOLVIST and Uglyversal like this.
  7. Uglyversal

Great thank you! I was looking too but I couldn't find anything. To me it sounds crazy these days but I imagine might not have been so then because it was also before all the hijackings started to become a regular segment on the news. Who could have imagined things were so simple regarding air travel. I can think of many simple and nice things I've experienced myself and are now a thing of the distant past but this was new to me.

Davosco likes this.
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

That's 10 years later though

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I do not remember EVER being able to buy a ticket on board.

However, I do remember being able to run-up to the counter for PSA Airlines 15 minutes before departure, buy a ticket, and get on the plane. It was super easy to do in San Jose.

geo50000, Scowl, Paul Gase and 2 others like this.
  10. My first flight wasn't until 1981 and at that time I don't recall anyone paying for tickets seated on the plane.

11. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

Beatty's character's flight was from LA to Denver, so this was unlikely to be one of the economical commuter flights operating in major cities at the time (on which people could and did pay while in flight). His registration and payment for his flight, from his seat and after take-off, was likely a plot device to continue building suspense. He identifies the explosive-rigged luggage being loaded on the tarmac and boards the same plane without knowing its destination...being confronted for payment allowed him quicker access to the flight crew.

The film came out in 1974, which was pretty much the last year of truly unfettered air travel. There had already been dozens of skyjackings, including Dan Cooper's infamous flight on Thanksgiving Weekend 1971 (in which the elusive Mr. Cooper paid for his ticket on a Portland, Oregon - Seattle, Washington commuter flight at the airport ticket counter). The metal detectors and prohibitions of non-ticketed personnel beyond were soon to come.

Simon A and carrick doone like this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Flying now days is like riding a Greyhound bus with wings.

13. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I've been on planes for 60 years and can testify it's exactly like this.
    [​IMG]

14. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I've always wondered this. The parallax view is a favourite of mine. I have it on bluray and every time I watch the place scene i too, wonder if that's how it really was

jwoverho likes this.
  15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I remember paying for a ticket while on-board a plane, and I think they were still accepting payment after takeoff. Pretty sure it was America West. A reservation might have been required, but I remember the flight attendants walking through the aisle with those old credit card slider machines. This was probably in the 80s.

What happened if they were airborne and a passenger couldn't pay? I don't know, but I assume you'd be met by authorities and charged with stealing?

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I flew a few times in the mid to late 70s always on TWA or American between St. Louis and DFW airport. I never paid once I was on board and don’t remember it even being an option.

17. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

Was it this one?

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Maybe the writers had only traveled by train at that point, and nobody caught the error? :p

19. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I recall being able to race to an airport, park, get a ticket and board a plane within 30 minutes or so. It wasn’t fun. But it was doable.

kwadguy likes this.
  20. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Same here! Terrific film, and one of the best 70's paranoia thrillers, which I can't get enough of watching: KLUTE, THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR, THE CONVERSATION, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.

Ray Hicks, BDC, blutiga and 2 others like this.
  21. I’ve been flying since 1970 and none of the major airlines I can recall doing this.

Scowl likes this.
  22. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I have all the films you list and yes they are essential viewing
    Don't forget the Frankenheimer paranoia trilogy. They are three very different and very brilliant films.

jwoverho likes this.
  23. Uglyversal

Yes, it seems it was, Globe airways, I saw it on a website listed as a fictitious airline with a couple of minor alterations they might have used the same plane for several films.

24. Uglyversal

Which ones are you referring to exactly? I have watched for first time Seven days in May which I thought was terrific and I've just ordered Manchurian candidate which I haven't seen for a long time but I am not really familiar with his works.

25. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Anyone ever bought a smoking ticket and it actually smoked?
    1:42