Jackson Browne anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floatupstream, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Running on Empty is just perfect. The Pretender is pretty close. Both were monster albums in the 70's in college, played constantly on nights when you were sitting around drinking and passing spliffs.
    The Pretender mfsl is wonderful.
    Sometime I have to insert that fantastic No Nukes live version of Before The Deluge into Running on Empty.
    I bought Hold Out, but eventually realized I never played it except Disco Apocalypse.

CCrider92 and stewedandkeefed like this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I tried but found his music pretty bland compared to the kicks I get from Manassas, Neil Young, Grateful Dead,...

3. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I always thought "Lives in The Balance" was one of his greatest songs. Here's an acoustic version that strips away the gunk

4. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

One of America's greatest songwriters. His run in the 1970's was fantastic. As several others have pointed out, Late For The Sky is one of the greatest albums of all time, a true masterpiece. "For A Dancer" may be the best song ever written about the passage of life to death. Just an incredible song.
    Like many 70's artists (I think of Springsteen in particular), he kinda lost his mojo as the 80's went on into the 90's, but I always felt he stayed true to his work. I've never seen him live and I need to correct that.

5. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

I’m a big fan. I listen to all his stuff except maybe World in Motion and Lives in the Balance. Love the new stuff as much as the old tbh. In a way I like the new stuff better because the songs are not from the point of view of a 20 year old idealist or a 30 year old coke head. They seem more mature to me. I’m surprised that he hasn’t gotten the rock biography treatment or the massive remastering of his catalog. He seems a little overlooked compared to some of the greats from his generation.

CCrider92 and OptimisticGoat like this.
  6. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

If you were a teenager in the 1970's, there was no better way to ingratiate yourself to girls than playing Jackson Browne records, cassettes, or 8-tracks.

7. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

I do like the way many of the 70's greats, including JB, sing about being old men. Maybe it's because I'm just one or two years and a couple of changes behind them.

8. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I like him a lot. I found the new track added to his "BEST OF", "THE NEXT VOICE YOU HEAR WILL BE YOUR OWN" to be atypical - but great.

CCrider92 likes this.
  9. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I have the 2 cd best of and I think it sounds pretty good. It is possibly loud, but the older songs were recorded mid 70s so this was the golden age of the great analog studios in Cali.

I met Jackson and his son swimming in a hotel pool. Funny, I don’t see well without my glasses, and the kid said hi and he challenged me to a swim race. It was only when I got closer to Jackson that I recognized him. Nice, very regular guy. He was playing in town that night.

Agreed with all posters extolling his songwriting. Also with his effect on young and older woman. No shortage of all of them at his concerts.

Jarleboy, CCrider92 and grx8 like this.
  10. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Been listening since mid 70's.A beautiful artist,incredibly talented.

11. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Whats the old mastering? Thanks.

12. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Daddy's in the living room shooting up the evening news

CCrider92 and A6mzero like this.
  13. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Damm.......that should be David Lindley....man I hate spell check!!!!

CCrider92, OptimisticGoat and mark ab like this.
  14. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

I saw him in concert 3 times in his glory years then once many years later with just D,Lindley. I don’t think he’s ever lost it. All of his albums are consistently good. Listen to The Naked Ride Home , it’s as good as anything he wrote in the seventies.
    I would say Hold Out is about the weakest effort I can recall from him and it still has some spectacular songs .

CCrider92 likes this.
  15. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

The Asylum CDs of Jackson Browne's first few albums were mastered twice I think (once in the 80s maybe and again later?) with same catalog numbers. So For Everyman SD 5067-2 has at least two distinct masterings and it's kind of hard to find the older mastering, especially when ordering online, since it's not easy to tell the difference between the two versions (you have to look at matrix numbers). This has been covered on the forum before I think. Here's one:
    Jackson Browne Albums On CD

CCrider92 likes this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

his album 'im alive' is just gut wrenching.

each and every song he bares his heart and soul, it took big balls to do what he did on that album, big balls.

CCrider92 and Ephi82 like this.
  17. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Sky Blue and Black is probably a top five Jackson song for me. Both lyrically, and vocally, it's phenomenal.

18. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I would say I’m a definite fan and a fan of Late For The Sky in particular. Heard that on cassette in the mid to lay 80s and it really opened up his catalogue for me. He has had some great tracks on each album but no one album measures up to LFTS - a desert island disc. Saw him in concert for the first time this year. Great show and luckily 3-4 LFTS tracks. Not a compelling live performer in my view. He would be better in a small venue which if that was ever possible (which it won’t be). :)

CCrider92 likes this.
  19. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I think the first 5 up to Running on Empty are great.
    After that, he usually had a few good songs on every album.
    When Somebody's Baby comes on during Fast Times at Ridgemont high, its perfect for that scene.

CCrider92 likes this.
  20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The Pretender is one of my favourite albums.

And yes, even and especially, Linda Paloma!

Fender Relic, CCrider92 and Mooserfan like this.
  21. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Forum Resident

I've enjoyed listening to JB for a long time now. My favorites are "The Pretender" (except for Linda Paloma :disgust:) and "Running On Empty."

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

3 pages now and its 'the pretender' and 'late for the sky' and "running on empty'.........please listen to the later stuff....please, i implore you all. :uhhuh:

A6mzero, CCrider92 and ChuckyBuck like this.
  23. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Jackson Browne for me epitomises the Laurel Canyon sound I love so much. I never tire of listening to his music and have been on board since his first album. I don't think he lost his muse in the '80's. I think 'Lives In The Balance' is a great album and Jackson is to be admired for taking the political stance he adopted. Not enough performers of today write and make enough 'protest' music,

I have all his albums many on both CD & LP, to be joined by a DVD-A of 'Running On Empty' I've just bought from a guy in Sweden thanks to the earlier posts on this thread.

Like many on here I love 'The Pretender', 'Late For The Sky', 'Running On Empty' but IMHO he hasn't released a bad album. One of my recent favourites is a live (legit) CD I picked up from CDJapan of one of his recent concerts in Japan. As someone has already stated his band is really great.

Let's hope we get some new music from JB soon.

A6mzero and CCrider92 like this.
  24. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

One of my favourite songwriters. I think he peaked with Late For the Sky but his earlier albums are pretty good as well. Every time I listen to Before the Deluge, which is partly about climate change, I am amazed we are still fighting the good fight today.

A6mzero, CCrider92 and Mooserfan like this.
  25. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw him twice on his solo acoustic tours. In the middle of Doctor My Eyes, the guitar tech came out carrying a telecaster, plugged in, did the lead break and then walked back off. So cool....

CCrider92 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.