Jackson Browne anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floatupstream, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I have Running On Empty and The Pretender on whatever were the original US CD releases.

2. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I’m a lawyer in love working for Everyman and hoping to avoid being late for the sky. I’m no Pretender but at times these days I feel like I’m running on empty and have to hold on and hold out against the world in motion. I need to remember that there are lives in the balance and that, standing in the breach, I’m alive.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i'm not sure of the exact number, but i would conservatively venture to say that jackson browne has at least 20 - 30 songs out there that were never on any of his albums. they appeared on soundtracks, tributes, duets and various compilations over the years.

very close to 2 CDR's worth of material for sure.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of him. He and America are the best 'americana' to these ears.

5. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

What about all those early songs/demos? Will they ever see a legitimate release?

6. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I tend to buy everything by Jackson Browne.

Satrus likes this.
  7. New 2019 remaster of ROE sounds nice.

8. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

But I've got a half dozen vinyl copies picked up for $1 or less over the last couple of years. I can't justify splurging on a remaster. My ears are 60+ years old so I doubt I could hear the difference. Hell of an a album, that's for sure. :targettiphat:

9. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Any point to buying this if I already have the first remaster plus the DVD-A and the re-remastered CD that came with that?

A remix sure, but do I need another remaster? What is new with this one?

10. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Jackson Browne anyone? Why the hell not! JB goes good with the Eagles, Linda Ronstadt and all of the California based singer songwriters!

11. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

"Redneck Friend" is one of my very favorites from him... a very overlooked great early track of his.

And "Rosie" is very clever! :winkgrin:

A6mzero and CCrider92 like this.
  12. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

Probably my favorite male vocalist....LOVE everything up until "Lives In The Balance"
    Thought he regained his groove with both "I'm Alive" and "Looking East", but I'm not a huge fan of his last three.

CCrider92 likes this.
  13. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

And if I'm not mistaken, Redneck Friend was written about Gregg Allman. The ironic thing is that GA is probably the furthest thing from a redneck. I get it, "laid back friend from the South" just doesn't have the same ring too it. But as someone that has lived all my life among rednecks the difference is obvious. :shrug:

steve phillips and CCrider92 like this.
  14. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I bought a "BEST OF" that included a somewhat atypical song that was chosen as the title track - "THE NEXT VOICE YOU HEAR". I like a lot of his songs, and I love "SOMETHING FINE"... But I also found "THE NEXT VOICE YOU HEAR" so unexpected that I fell in love with it.

I have never heard this song mentioned since - 1997 - but does anyone know whether he performed this song live?

Edit: I just found out that he released a live version of it the following year. I thought I knew to look up the facts on Discogs before I pose a question... :shake:

Edit II: Wrong again...

15. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

My favorite single song of his is ‘Boulevard’.

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

good lord, 'the naked ride home' just might be his best overall album, that or 'i'm alive', not a single weak song in the bunch on either of those.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  17. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

That's the great thing about music....it touches us each differently!
    While I certainly feel NRH is Jackson's strongest album of the 21st century, I don't think it comes even remotely close to his first seven releases.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Reggie Sears

Reggie Sears Int’l Recording Artist, Mix Engineer and Producer

My favorite is “Running On Empty.” Great album. Classic album in my opinion.

19. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble Forum Resident

I'm with RJP - Reading this thread leaves me thinking that a majority of posters might benefit from investing in a copy of 'The Naked Ride Home'.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  20. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Casual listener, as is my wife. She loves The Load Out, which plays on Sirius regularly.

21. tennesseeborder

tennesseeborder Forum Resident

I love him and have his first few albums. I saw him in Fort Myers, Fl. solo in 2004

22. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

I want to acquire Late for the Sky and am wondering if I should go for the hi-res version. Has anyone heard it? (The MFSL is a little pricey for an album I don't know.)

23. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

I didn't warm to JB until a few years ago, with the notable exception of Running on Empty, which everyone seemed to have back in college. The other stuff seemed a little to laid back and simple for me... until a local station trotted out "Sing My Songs to Me" and "For Everyman". Yeah, they just let them run together like they're supposed to. Finally I got it. I don't like the entirety of the For Everyman album, but Late for the Sky is gorgeous, especially "After the Deluge".

Reggie Sears likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

Haven't heard the hires but this is one of my very favorite DCCs.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

just about a perfect album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.