Jacksonville, FL Used CD and Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by rockclassics, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm going to be in Jacksonville next weekend. We'll be staying about 20-30 minutes east of downtown. I'll have a rental car and some time to kill on Saturday evening and probably Sunday afternoon too. Any suggestions on stores to visit for used CDs and vinyl? Thanks for any help.

2. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

Bumping, as I have the same question.

3. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I was in the area last month visiting my sister in Ponte Vedra Beach. There used to be a CD Warehouse in Jacksonville and an independent store in Jax Beach, but both have closed down. Not sure if there are any in Jacksonville itself anymore.

Your best bet may be St. Augustine (and if you are in the Jax area you really should spend at least a day, as its much more interesting than anything Jax has to offer IMO) . There are two stores there, Music Matters and Budget Records & CD's. I was not impressed with the former (small and not great used selection and very pricy new cd's), but did not have a chance to stop at the latter.

4. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

Thanks for the information. I'm actually staying in St. Augustine, but I figured that Jax would have more. I'm on the hunt for vinyl, so I'll check out the two spots you mentioned.

5. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

No.

Sadly, the Jax market for Used and Collector's CD & records
    is pretty much dead.

I used to travel down there (I live an hour away) once every month
    or two , looking for music. But all the stores I shopped, dried up & blew away.

Have not been down there in over a year now.

6. drukgs

drukgs Forum Resident

It is pretty dead here in Jax as far as music stores go but one did just open on Forsythe St. across from the tax collectors office. Can't remember the name at the moment but it has an ok selection of used vinyl and cd's. Wouldn't go out of the way but if you're in town worth a stop.

7. drukgs

drukgs Forum Resident

All St Augustine has to offer is touristy stuff. Granted there is some beautiful architecture around Flagler College but otherwise its just a bunch of stores selling Florida t-shirts and hot sauces. Not that Jacksonville is all that great of a place either but i would rather spend a day at Jax beach than St. Augustine any day.

8. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

Budget Records here in St. Augustine sounded nice, but they were closed today and I'm leaving tomorrow morning.

9. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

I'm posting this just in case anyone is searching about Jax stores in the future:

Budget Records in St. Augustine is no longer in business.

That store is Budget Records of Jax (yep, same name as the St. Aug store). I do not know if the store still open. The guy who run it, Ron, is big into hard to find prog. That's the only thing he mostly talk about.

Now the big store of records in Jax is Yesterday and Today's records and CD in the Beach Blvd Flea Market. Only opens on Friday-Sunday and yes they are in a Flea Market. They have thousands of records in stock with the usual commons and the rare stuff. If you are into bargins you will not find it at that store. Records are $5 and up (ultra common mint stuff will be $5, yes, Boston is $5). You only go into the store if you are looking for harder to find stuff (for example I picked some Peter Green, the two Euro Stray Cats albums, Kraftwerk Radio-Activity, etc for $8-$20 a pop). The store is better if you know what you are looking for. Now CDs are $3-$5 a pop unless it's a gold CD then it gets ebayed. I found good target CDs for $3-$5 a pop.

Then there's In Th'Grove which is located at 9750 Regency Square Blvd. It's run by my friend Tim. He gets some cool stuff in. I don't visit him too much to be honest.

Of course there's flea markets around Jax so if looking to buy records go to flea markets.

10. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Was just in Jacksonville a couple weekends ago and will say that the Beach Blvd Flea Market had some great finds--definitely seek this out if you are in town (plus get some good citrus fruit :)). I saw two larger vendors (not sure which one was which), but had some good finds at both.

11. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

Good! Even if I'm posting this over a year late! :D

Updates on the Jax area:

The Beach Blvd Flea Market still has Yesterday and Today's records (which is still number #1 when it comes to inventory selection). They expanded a bit so they have more Records + CDs for sale. In the next row of Yesterday and Today's is a music shop with mostly CDs and some LPs. In that store the owner will get in target CDs which he will pull it into the "import" box for $10 a pop (yet he will pass on the CBS Japan for US presses). The next row after that store is DooWops which is full of cheap crap LPs and tons of CDs. You will be rewarded if you dig thru the guy's CDs and check often so I'll leave it at that. Always check the open tables on the other end of the flea market since you will find great deal on CDs here and there. Long story short this is one of the best places to look for CDs in Jax so I encourage you folks to check here when you are in the area and make sure you check EVERYWHERE.

Downtown Jax is suppose to still have the Budget Records store but the old owner sold the store to someone else and I haven't been there since. Since I only buy CDs I'm not doing the travel to downtown to see the guys's small CD section.

Not too far away in the Five Points section of Riverside is Deep Search Records which sells new indie vinyl and you can read books with cafe in the store I think. FYI it is a hipster trap so you have been warned.

If you want to be in a not so good part of Jax there's the Ramona Flea Market in the westside. I don't like the westside and the parking lot is next to section 8 housing so it isn't the most safest area of town. The flea market is a MUCH Biggest flea market than the Beach Flea Market where there's tons of people who sell CDs and LPs. It does cost money to get in.

There are two FYEs I go to in Jax and I will stop in once awhile to see if there's any good CDs to pick up. I been lucky in FYE a few times.

In Atlantic Beach there's the Young, Loud, and Snotty record store/skate shop. Plenty of records but I don't like the selection. Don't get me wrong I like the owner a whole lot but I don't think the selection is aim for the collectors who been doing it for years. If you want CDs then don't brother going there.

ribors likes this.
  12. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Thanks for the update... I'll probably be there again next summer :)

13. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

If you are then I would be more than happy to show you around the area for the good stuff. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.