James Gang - Live In Concert (Carnegie Hall 1971)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by disraeli, Dec 7, 2022.

1. disraeli

disraeli Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mind boggling huh. Just gave it a whirl on the turntable. Forgot how incredible this performance was.

The opening chords to Stop…sounds like Joe and the boys caused cracks in the Carnegie Hall structure.

And, how was a band that loud allowed to play that venue? Ha! Inquiring minds wanna know.

Right up there with the Pie’s Fillmore masterpiece and that’s some high mark.

Did anyone here attend this show? Can you still hear? Had to ask!

Ok, to be discussed. Anyone else blown away by this live album?

2. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

All of the Joe Walsh LPs are classic.
    I always hoped for an expanded version of the live album. Lost Woman is a highlight

Swansong, Icenine1, hi_watt and 6 others like this.
  3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

They shoulda done an Allman Bros. tribute, in honor of their faithful transportation to the venue.

[​IMG]

Tied to the hitchin' post !!!

Swansong, fr in sc, ARK and 1 other person like this.
  4. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

Great post.....they were pretty incredible....Joe is not brought up when speaking of greats....but he's been around a long time and he can play for sure...powerful album....there is a bootleg out there...audience tape....I think I have a cassette of it whole show ....has Bomber, Funk 49, Midnight Man....Johnny B Goode and some others think 9 other songs from the show....never seen it in a true boot...but there is another boot out there called James Gang Rides Over Fillmore 11.71 Fillmore West......they should do an expanded version of it for sure....you know they got the tapes...

5. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Ha! What a coincidence to see this thread!
    Just ordered a copy of this amazing lp in EX+ condition!
    Cannot wait!
    [​IMG]

Swansong, supermd, BrentB and 4 others like this.
  6. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

A shame they didn't include the rest of the show as a 2 LP set. I have a boot, but the other songs are just fair audience recordings. They also played:
    Funk # 49
    Asshtonpark
    White Man Black Man
    Thanks
    Garden Gate
    Again
    Woman
    Johnny B. Goode
    The Bomber
    I was also very glad that someone recorded their two Allen Theatre reunion shows in 2001 and the shorter Hall of Fame show from the same year off the soundboard. Great shows if you can find them.

Swansong, supermd, hi_watt and 9 others like this.
  7. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Would love to see an expanded reissue of this.

8. pscreed

pscreed Kranky Katt

A great live album that captures a great band at the peak of its powers… sign me up for an expanded reissue, that’s an instant buy.

Love this album!

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Joe needs to get some of these shows into that "box set" he is allegedly putting together.

10. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

Got that album when it first came out. My favorite live album at the time and still is. Still have that very same record.

Swansong and fr in sc like this.
  11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Did I read somewhere that the rest of the songs performed don’t exist anymore!

12. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

Yes this is the rest of it....we got a fairly good generational copy.....its audience....but damn...its great stuff!!!!! This is why bootlegs are so important....they should be sold on the corner like at a newspaper stand.....they let you get what the Record Companies (despise them) and the artists ( love them but their judgement is poor...they want to sell records sure...but damn let me decide not you...once you play it...bootleggers own it....LOVE BOOTLEGGERS and BOOTLEGS) do not put out....THEY DO NOT KNOW!!!!!! The People do.....I love bootlegs.....and copyright records too.....they make life livable!!!!!!!!!! This should be out as a 2 lp set.....CUT IT LOOSE FOR THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the silver MFSL of this album is beautiful sounding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Wish they would put out an extended deluxe version.

15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Just got this version a few days ago. Really sounds wonderful, especially "Ashes, The Rain & I".

16. Birchman

Birchman Discerning Ear

I see that there is a 96/24 download of this live album available on HD Tracks. It appears that the download was released 10/7/21, possibly by Geffen. This was one of my favorite albums back in the day. Thank goodness my playback equipment was average back then and I never really heard the poor quality of the original recording. I have an original vinyl, the MSFL and a 1996 MCA. The MSFL is good but certainly doesn't get around the muddiness of the master tape. The 1996 MCA sounds loud and sure seems to be compressed when viewed in Audacity but, oddly, shows a good dynamic range in the dynamic range date base. Does anyone have any information about this 2021 96/24 download? Is it any sort of sonic improvement over what already existed and is it worth purchasing? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  17. Further

Further Forum Resident

Love this album. That sound Joe gets, going through the echoplex on You’re Gonna Need Me is nothing short of amazing. I’d love to hear the full set but especially The Bomber. Man, what a great band they were!

18. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Great Band Great Album, I'm with you all this definately deserves and expanded reissue.

19. Mix4800

Mix4800 Forum Resident

Love any and all Joe Walsh stuff. I’m a Walsh myself!

Swansong, kevin5brown and yesstiles like this.
  20. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

I thought that the multi-tracks went up in smoke in one of those storage unit fires or something. Either that, or just lost.

21. Birchman

Birchman Discerning Ear

Has anyone listened to the 96/24 download currently available on HD Tracks? I might have buried my above question in too much dialog.

22. Birchman

Birchman Discerning Ear

Never mind...I just went ahead and bought it. From what I can see in Audacity and hear the 2021 Geffen master at HDtracks is a different master than the MSFL and the 1996 MCA. It is not as muddy as the MSFL and not as compressed as the MCA. Probably about as good as it can get, though in terms of clarity the MCA is pretty clear but a little more fatiguing.

Swansong likes this.
  23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

"Take a Look Around" is sublime.

Haggis Wampovich and Swansong like this.
  24. Birchman

Birchman Discerning Ear

Swansong likes this.
  25. Talpa

Talpa ourmaninthesouth

remember reading somewhere decades ago that joe learned keys from his mom, who was a classical pianist. his hammond b3/leslie tones [leslie via guitar as well] are sublime..really pulls at you even now. a great field production/recording by bill syzmczyk btw.
    of course it was carnegie hall so naturally an organ is going to sound massive - maybe marshall amps were part of the rig.

as a player, will always associate joe as the ohio valley/mid-america source to the stars [as he became] for vintage 50's gibson/fender guitars..most famously jimmy page's #1 '59 les paul came via walsh.

anyway, great lp. joe was/is a great songwriter; maybe influenced from his mom. tend my garden was the killer for me; that massive hammond intro.. those leslie cabs breaking chunks off the ceiling [in my mind]. bet it sounded massive in that hall =|