Jane's Addiction "Nothing's Shocking" 24 Karat Gold Disc Coming from Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jonmayo15, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Kevin would do it.

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I'd like that :thumbsup:

George P likes this.
  3. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Just picked this up. Love the sound quality: Everything crystal clear and eminently crankable!

4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I got this one as well. I must admit I never owned this album before, so I dont know how it compares to previous editions, but it sounds great.

Great guitar playing all around

5. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

I don't know how I did not know about this. I must find a copy. I don't care how much of a minority this places me in, but this is the best album ever released by anyone. :)

pablorkcz likes this.
  6. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Of the thousands of albums I own, this has been in my top 5 since the day it was released. Depending on my mood, it's often #1.

pablorkcz likes this.
  7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

It is a great album and the Audio Fidelity version sounds awesome.

8. See Here...
    Better hurry and purchase a copy while it's still in print again. These re-prints usually only last a short while.

9. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

Done. :)

10. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I can't find this anywhere on Amazon, my preferred retailer. Am I missing something?

11. easyge

easyge Senior Member

12. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

I just bought it straight from them.

13. serge

serge Forum Resident

I listened to the original a few weeks ago and it sounds wonderful... I'm not hearing how this sounds that much better for me to purchase it again... also how is the vinyl?

ODShowtime likes this.
  14. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

The original sounds wonderful enough, as you said. So why bother with the vinyl when it's probably not going to sound "that much better" for you?

:wave:

15. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

My CD showed up yesterday. Woot! :)

PH416156 likes this.
  16. Jimi Justin

Jimi Justin Active Member

I know Im late to the party . I just found out this had been released. Ive always loved this record. I still have a cassette of rough mixes of this album that Dave Navarro gave me in 1988 I think. I remember telling him when I heard it " you realize you just played on one of the greatest rock albums ever recorded?". I still put this in my top 50. The original cd release is good but this is definetly worth the few extra $. The dynamic range on this is exceptional for a rock cd.

17. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

My favourite album of all time. :) I'm gonna have to figure out a way to record Windows Media Player's output so I can have a decoded HDCD copy, since that's the only thing I have that plays/decodes HDCD.

18. Jimi Justin

Jimi Justin Active Member

Foobar with the hdcd plugin. its free.

19. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

I thought that just used hdcd.exe, though. Which I'm fairly sure I read does not decode all of HDCD's features. Is this not the case?

20. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

Hmm, the CD doesn't seem to actually use any HDCD features anyway. At least, not according to what I'm seeing in foobar. Why bother encoding with it if you don't use any of the features? Or else I'm just doing something wrong. But I've added the plugin to foobar, and scanned for HDCD presence, and it says it is there but peak extension is disabled and transient filter is intermittent.

Simply eyeballing the waveforms of the straight CD rip and the HDCD decoded copies I don't see any differences at all. I suppose that'd be because it is telling me that peak extension is disabled on these tracks.

21. serge

serge Forum Resident

the original cd sounds great to me.. does this sound better? if so how?

22. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Bass!

23. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

In order to match the original master, here are the changes you have to make to the new remaster:

Up to 41 Hz needs +1 dB
    42 Hz to 54 Hz needs 0 dB
    55 Hz to 93 Hz needs +1 dB
    95 Hz to 1365 Hz needs 0 dB
    1392 Hz to 3582 Hz needs +1 dB
    3652 Hz to 6642 Hz needs +2 dB
    6772 Hz needs +3 dB
    6904 Hz to 9584 hz needs +2 dB
    9770 Hz to 12316 Hz needs +1 dB
    12556 Hz to 18469 Hz needs 0 dB
    18829 Hz needs +1 dB
    19196 Hz needs +2 dB
    19570 Hz to 19951 Hz needs 0 dB
    20340 Hz needs -1 dB
    20736 Hz needs 0 dB
    21140 Hz and above needs +1 dB

[​IMG]

So, it actually has *less* bass than the original master, though 1 dB differences here and there in the bass range aren't going to be terribly noticeable. If you notice it at all, there will be less. And there are several other bands where it has less energy. The only band where it has more energy is a narrow one around 20340 Hz, that last dip at the top.

JayNYC likes this.
  24. musocat

musocat New Member

So, it's a year later and I just got a copy... I have an original CD and I just A/B'd them. On the first listen, I'm not impressed. The AF copy is just as massively limited as the original and I'm not hearing much if any difference. I was hoping they'd leave the brick wall limiters alone so the drums would have some impact, but the output level and lack of peaks are identical or nearly so. I don't have an HDCD player, so maybe the HDCD part sounds better, but on a standard CD player, whatever differences there are between the AF and my original CD are hard to discern.

hi_watt likes this.
  25. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

Massively limited? Very confused. This album has always sounded great. Both the original release and this one.

eyeCalypso and DPM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.