Jane's Addiction

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Criminy pete, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I've been on a big Jane's kick lately. There are so many great shows on youtube.

Here's a really good one from London in '91

Super intense version of Ain't No Right at 14:50

2. vamborules

I'm sure no one cares about this but me, but I have to bump this because the NME just asked Perry about this incident.

How they thought to ask about this is anyone's guess...but they did.

6: Two months after the release of Jane’s Addiction’s debut album ‘Nothing’s Shocking’ in 1988, what did you smash up and try to feed to the audience at a live New York show?

“Oh right! I got super-excited – this was our first trip to New York to do our own show and I grabbed a guitar – but it belonged to Dave [Navarro, Jane’s Addiction guitarist]. I wasn’t thinking ‘cos when you’re performing you go to this altered state. I grabbed it from the guitar stand, ran out onstage for the encore and smashed his guitar to smithereens and threw it into the audience. And Dave went: ‘What did you do?! That was the first guitar my dad ever bought me! That was my first Gibson!’. I really suck. I always regret that. That was terrible. I should have never done that but you know, I’m an idiot.”

Does Rock 'N' Roll Kill Braincells?! – Perry Farrell, Jane's Addiction frontman and Lollapalooza founder - NME

Read more at Does Rock 'N' Roll Kill Braincells?! – Perry Farrell, Jane's Addiction frontman and Lollapalooza founder - NME

3. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Only saw them twice (Astoria in 1990 and Marquee in 1991) but loved those first two albums. Especially side 2 of Ritual. That still gets dusted off once a year.

Luisboa and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Sure Perry. You were in an “altered state” because of “performing”. Lol

5. vamborules

I'm just glad he talked about it. And kind of amazed. You have no idea how long I searched for info on that.

Luisboa and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Big big fan of JA before the reunion.
    I consider Ritual a masterpiece, one of those perfect albuns that only happens once in a while. Besides the incredible hooking guitar and bass riffs it has amazing epics, great solos, psychedelic stuff, truly beautiful calm songs, etc etc, everything. Not a single wrong note from begining to end.

The curious thing is my brother always prefered Nothing's Shocking, something I never understood. But he his more a straight rock kind of guy and I always were more for the alternative stuff. Saying that both are top albuns in their own field.

7. vamborules

I prefer Nothing's Shocking if I have to choose but they're both great. All three original lineup albums are amazing.

I think Three Days and Then She Did are maybe their greatest two songs. But as an overall album I think NS beats Ritual.

Matthew Tate and Luisboa like this.
  8. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

:righton: Since you prefer NS and mentioned two Ritual songs (great songs without doubt), I will do the oposite, since I prefer Ritual, and say that Up the Beach is probably the first JA song it comes to mind when I think of them. That bass intro and then that strong psychedelic ambient of solos and Farrels crazy singing its really from other planet.

For me JA are a band with no week songs and no week links in the playing, whats left is a matter of personal taste imo.

9. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Ritual is the masterpiece for me, maybe it’s because I heard that first. I was a little disappointed in hearing NS, it just didn’t have the same punch.

10. vamborules

This is pretty amazing. Super-early Jane's show pre-Dave and Stephen. And not only that but they're (D&S) in the audience and you can see them!

11. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

I have been spinning Ritual a lot the past week. I wish there was more out there. Live at 25 doesn't really do it for me.

It has been 30 years.. I was hoping for something special.

12. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

I’ve always wondered why there hasn’t been deluxe editions of Nothing’s Shocking and Ritual.
    Kettle Whistle and Cabinet are just decent-good rarities compilations. In my opinion, the best thing about Cabinet is the Radio Tokyo demos, the Hollywood Palladium show and the DVD. The rest of the demos and live material are just so so, really. Another well-recorded classic era live show like Hollywood Palladium one would be great. Makes me wonder if there really are any others. Wasn’t the live Jane Says from Kettle Whistle from a ‘91 lollapalooza show? That sounded great.

13. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

There are.

Matthew Tate and ian christopher like this.
  14. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

We DESPERATELY NEED an LP reissue/remaster of the first record (Jane's Addiction, 1987).
    The prices are crazy for used copies.
    I was reading through this thread and wondering if there was any love for the album here. This was JA at their peak of perfection -- and they recorded it. I wonder if it was recorded to analog tape? I would love a 24/192 transfer if possible, too.
    No matter what...this album is from outer space and the start of something that was perfect. Even the boots from '86 are perfection. The arrangements and the delays/reverbs on everyone was stunning from the beginning. The echoing vocals always made me wonder WTF? -- but now, I get it. It took a long time. And they had nearly everything to do with modern music stepping into the '90s in grand fashion.
    Cheers to XXX!
    "Whores"

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  15. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Totally agree. My 1st ex-wife brought NS into our relationship in 1988, and to say I was totally underwhelmed (given the contemporaneous hype) would be a massive understatement; Mountain Song and Ocean Size aside, it's a weak album. But that all changed with Ritual.

Knowing as I now do that they had much of Ritual in their arsenal way before they recorded NS, and that Jerden apparently chose the NS tracks from 19 demos he was given to listen to, I can't help thinking NS was a yuge brainfart...but it all came good in the end :edthumbs:

Ghost of Ziggy and Vinyl Socks like this.
  16. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Okay, that might be stretching it. But this album is something else.

17. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Three Days has always impressed me but I just can't stand Perry Ferrell's voice.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Be grateful you were only sidetracked for 5 years. Lots of folks have wasted an entire lifetime on that turgid band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.