Japan For Japan 35dp-4 Sold for Over $1200

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by ATSMUSIC, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member Thread Starter

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

A sealed one of these sold for $5000 last year.

3. ATSMUSIC

I remember that, this one has no obi of course.

4. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Maybe Ralph bought it?

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Jeeeezzzz. If I had any sense whatsoever, I would sell my copy, but . . . . . . .

6. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

It had been listed for some time and I'm really surprised it sold at that price :eek:

7. ATSMUSIC

I will probably sell mine at some point, silver top though so I guess it is worthless :D

8. ATSMUSIC

I was too.

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I don't know what to think. Seriously. If you had told me last March, a month before discovering this forum, that I would buy a single CD for $350.00, I'd have sincerely thought you were insane.
    Until I heard it.

And we're talking about one of my all time favorite albums...from the day it was released in 1975...all the way through the next 35 years...but it never sounded like my Japan-for-US. UNBELIEVABLE.
    I'm still so happy (6 months now) that with all the hoopla today over the SACD being discussed...I actually expect to be...less than overwhelmed. In fact, for DSOTM, the SACD sits dormant, and I play my CDP Non TO Black Triangle.

10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The seller lists this cd as "extremely rare" "gold top version!"

I've never seen a "gold top version."
    Anyone?

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Several of the first Japan market 35DP and 35 8P CDs pressed by CSR had a "gold top". I only have one in my collection (Willie Nelson), but I'll try to start grabbing them at some point.

12. ATSMUSIC

I have heard the gold top version of this was actually more common than the silver one. I am sure the demand is greater for the gold top though because that would be the absolute first press.

13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Not only a gold top but some discs have "crude matrix numbers" adding to the listening pleasure. :angel:

14. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Interesting.

15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I almost bought it but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I own a J4US 2-track so no biggie.

16. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

Hey, maybe we can make 25 separate threads on 35DP-4 in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' before 2011 is over.

17. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Well, I for one can't get enough of 35DP-4 threads. I am drawn to them like a moth to a flame, or perhaps more accurately, like a gnat to a fluorescent bug-zapper. The 35DP-4, IMHO represents the absolute pinnacle of CD collecting. Of course, it helps if it's a Japan for Japan, gold top, crude matrix, with obi. Still sealed also adds to its appeal. ;)

18. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I'm assuming this was a BIN rather than an auction?

I think one sold for nearly $2000 last year, but in this case the seller started at $5000 and then kept dropping the price every few days until it went at £1990 or something like that.

There will be another, very interesting, Floyd Japan Gold top finishing in the next few days. Currently at $349
    Will be fun to watch.

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It was BIN, the seller varied the prices as time progressed, the odd thing is I don't think the seller made much money on it. It was purchased not long ago for around the same price IIRC.

20. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Is this a coloration of the coating or substrate?

21. I have quite a few, I'm trying to get the first 50 in gold and silver as far as this is possible. However, this one still eludes me.

22. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

The seller purchased this copy from muff8678 for around $980 late last year. :agree:

23. ATSMUSIC

I am pretty sure I am selling my silver top since they are going for such high prices. :eek:

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The first 45 35DP titles were released with "gold tops" (through Journey 35DP-45). I'm only missing one - ironically, it's the Willie Nelson (35DP-28)! Anyway, I have never seen any later releases with gold tops. The early Epic/Sony releases (35 8P), and the Japanese CBS/Sony (35DH) and Epic Sony (35 8H), were also first pressed with the gold tops, but I am not sure how many titles were available. I am pretty sure that the classic music titles (38DC) were never released with gold tops, or at least I haven't seen one.

You should know that some people here in Japan think that the "gold tops" are prone to warping, because of that gold laminate. I think I disagree, but I have not tested all of my discs.

Finally, I think that the Gold top Pink Floyd is more common than the silver, but both are impossibly rare. By the way, if you ever see a sealed copy of one of these early titles and want to check if it is gold or not, just hold it up to the light and look at the clear edge of the CD case - the gold disc will show a distinctly gold edge.

25. Thank you, now I know not to look past 35DP-45 for a gold version. I don't think I have any 35.8P in gold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.