Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

is there anything on it that couldn’t be assembled from other sources? I think most of the extra SM tracks were on an early 90’s box set?

2. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I believe they can be, but I don't have that set. There is s thread dedicated to SM as it was intended, which I am sure you are aware of and I am sure the info is there. On further listening though, I am happy with the BSCD2.

3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Are the Syd Barrett minis being released at the same time a new mastering?

@toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor likes this.
  5. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Thank you for your very fair question.
    Syd Barrett Mini LP BSCD2 release was supposed to be issued along with the David Gilmour release. We talked about it in details (Post 733-34, page 30). Sony did not say a word about the new mastering. However, this may no longer matter, since it never saw the light of day. Even Sony’s announcement has disappeared, as it was never existed.
    (Buy the way, Warner 2015 release of Mini LP SHM with the new remastering has long been OOP and doubled in price on the market).

I could not find any information about the prospect of this release.

6. toilet_doctor

7. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Carlox and toilet_doctor like this.
  8. toilet_doctor

Let's see in March then...

Carlox and Jerry Horne like this.
  9. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

10. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

One of the reasons for me to join this forum, was this thread. I have become a huge fan of Japanese Mini LP SHM-CD's. And recently I have bought three Elton John Albums "Elton John", "Honky Château" and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". And I think that the sound quality is very good. But I can't compare these CD's with other versions, because I didn't have these albums before.

I also would like to thank everyone for their posts, especially toilet_doctor. They are very helpful and interesting.

Jarleboy, Rockstar2112, jhm and 5 others like this.
  11. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Try this thread
    Elton John - Your favorite CD Mastering of each of the First Eleven Albums

I have just posted on there, but apart from Empty Sky (which I like the SHM for its racous sound), I would say the other SHMs are either as good as or better than any versions I have heard.

Jarleboy, Jagger69 and Instant Karma like this.
  12. toilet_doctor

Guys, please stick to Mini LP topic like this:
    Billy Joel 52nd Street 7’’ Mini LP SACD (40th Anniversary Ed.)

40th anniversary edition of "52nd Street" from Billy Joel features SACD Hybrid format with 5.1ch surround on SACD layer. 2ch voice track features 2011 digital remastering by Ted Jensen. Packed in a 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging. Comes with a pamphlet replicating the one made for 1979 Japan tour, five bonus cover artworks replicating ones made for singles, and memorabilia.”

Shvartze Shabbos and Jagger69 like this.
  13. toilet_doctor

Or this:
    UK versions of The Rolling Stones Big Hits in Mini LP SHM-CD

14. I hate Jensen’s remaster of this album.

15. There was noticeable clipping on the digital download. I love the packaging but I also kept my vinyl reissue of this as well as the original mastering.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    c-eling and toilet_doctor like this.
  16. I actually prefer the track listing without Beatles Forever which always sounded like a half assed song.

Oyster Boy, toilet_doctor and Simon A like this.
  17. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Just picked up the SHM-CD of Thirty-Three and 1/3. Very disappointing sound: compressed and far too loud. My 2017 vinyl will continue to be my go-to for this album, together with the 1991 CD for certain tracks (Beautiful Girl, Crackerbox Palace and Learning How To Love You which are noticeably veiled on the vinyl).

Dam, ispace and toilet_doctor like this.
  18. toilet_doctor

Universal will use 7-inch packaging for SHM-CD release for a first time:

May 15, 2020

Bon Jovi 2020 (Deluxe Ed.) 7” Mini LP SHM-CD + DVD

Japanese original release. Bon Jovi to release the 15th album. This edition includes a bonus DVD music videos each for "Limitless" and "Beautiful Drug" and features SHM-CD format. Includes lyrics and description. 7-inch packaging.”

(translation)
    Bon Jovi 2020 Deluxe Edition [SHM-CD + DVD] [Limited Edition]
    “Don't be afraid to step on, push ahead in a new era! About three and a half years, the 15th original album! "Living is infinite", singing powerfully and including the latest single "Limitless"! The single "Limitless" is uncertain an upbeat cheering song that sang the importance of always being positive in the world. Everyone says that they can enjoy the present even while they are "desperately living so as not to drown". In addition to the latest singles, the album features "Unbroken," which sang about issues related to military service, as well as topics that are of great importance today, such as gun control, politics, and the definition of family. As you can see from the album title and the jacket photo, where the American flag reflected in the pensive John Bon Jovi's sunglasses can be seen, Bon Jovi 2020 is an irony for the presidential election 2020 It is a work with a message character. Bonus DVD includes Limitless (Music Video) and Beautiful Drug (Music Video). Japan Original Deluxe Edition (SHM CD + DVD + Lyrics / Commentary + Paper jacket of 7-inch size [about 17 cm square] larger than usual).”

Bon Jovi - Unbroken

Bon Jovi: Wanted Dead or Alive - Live from Wembley Stadium (June 21, 2019)

New song about a new reality:
    Do What You Can - Bon Jovi feat Vinnie

and the first co-writer:
    Do What You Can - Bon Jovi + my2nd verse (Acoustic Cover)

[JBJ:]
    Tonight they’re shutting down the borders and they boarded up the schools
    Small towns are rolling up their sidewalks, one last paycheck coming through
    I know you’re feeling kinda nervous, we’re all a little bit confused
    Nothing’s the same, this ain’t a game, we got to make it through

When you can’t do what you do, you do what you can
    This ain’t my prayer, its just a thought I’m wanting to send
    Right here we bend but don’t break, down here we all understand
    When you can’t do what you do, you do what you can

[co-writer:]
    Here’s to staying indoors, staying in touch online
    Quarantine n’ chill, avoid those supermarket lines
    ‘Cause not everyone can get tested or have a hospital bed
    So let’s do our part to make sure everybody is fed

19. This came out a year ago. I have it and it’s a straight reissue of the original SACD but the packaging and replete ephemera is simply amazing. This whole collection, I think there’s about 8 titles to date, are well worth the price of admission.

20. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

The Bob Marley paper sleeves SHM CDs are being reissued. Some of these are the deluxe editions, not the Barry Diament remasters but nice sounding, think it's the 2001 mastering.

21. old school

old school Senior Member

Has anybody heard the King Crimson box set of In The Court of The Crimson King HQCD K2 yet? Would love a review with DR values if possible thanks.

Jagger69 and toilet_doctor like this.
  22. toilet_doctor

I'm working on it - just finished Disc 1. Speaking in 2 words: huge impression; or buy it.

23. old school

old school Senior Member

Yeah I ordered it. I figured it would be real nice! Thanks TD.

24. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Is this remaster from the 2011 box set with all of Billy's albums newly remastered? I didn't know that the download sites even had these remasters as I thought they were exclusive to the box set.

25. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Do you know if all the ELO titles that were remastered a few years ago are on hi-res sites to download? What would I look for to make sure it wasn't the older 2001 remasters?