Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Belle August releases:

August 25, 2020

(SHM-CD)
    Mainhorse S/T
    Refugee S/T
    (2SHM-CD)
    Patrick Moraz The Story Of I

Cardboard sleeve reissue featuring SHM-CD format. 2020 remaster. Comes with a bonus track.” ($29.84)

Previous release by Disk Union label Arcangelo in 2008:
    [​IMG]

(translation)
    Mainhorse [SHM-CD] / Mainhorse
    “[Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] Patrick Moraz from Switzerland. He joined Yes in 1974, and with the album "Relayer" he would be stunning of progressive rock fans with his skillful keyboard work, but the first album released after going to England was the only work of this Mainhorse. It's a work that was created with a hard rock approach with the keyboard as the main element, but his technique is a thrilling work that you can fully enjoy. Paper jacket, 2020 latest remaster, SHM-CD definitive contents! Bonus track recording.”

"Before Patrick Moraz released the Mainhorse LP in 1971, he and bassist/cellist Jean Ristori founded one of the most significant groups in prog rock history. In the summer of 1969, the two left Switzerland for England in an effort to form a new band. They found it in drummer Bryson Graham and singer/songwriter David Kubinec (World of Oz). Initially calling themselves Integral Aim - then Mainhorse Airline - and supporting acts as Free, Canned Heat and Humble Pie.”

[Soon, word “Airline” was dropped and] “MAINHORSE debut was released to little fanfare in 1971 after the group had signed with Polydor Records, but dis-banded soon after the completion of their one-and-only album. It's a genuine shame, because it's a wonderfully constructed and highly-original seven-track album that was made at a time when groups such as YES, ELP and GENESIS had yet to find true international success. Moraz (Organ, Keyboards, Vocals) was augmented by Peter Lockett (Guitar, Violin, Vocals), Jean Ristori (Bass, Cello, Vocals) and Bryson Graham (Drums), who would later play with SPOOKY TOOTH. Moraz was the groups figurehead, composing and writing most of the music, whilst Peter Lockett contributed most of the lyrics and vocals. The style of music was un-ashamedly progressive, with multiple-keyboard and guitar solo's showing off both Moraz's and Lockett's skillful playing styles. It's also impressively original, with the group creating a unique twin-instrument attack and at the same-time avoiding sounding quite like anyone else either since or before them. But for all Moraz's brilliantly-handled moments on either the Keyboards or the Organ, it's the beautiful Passing Years, a mainly guitar-led piece which is the stand out-track with Lockett's Gilmour-esque finger-picking floating over the deliberately mysterious lyrics, creating a moment of thrilling beauty. Quite how MAINHORSE failed to make the grade will always be a slight mystery as more-and-more puzzled listeners stumble across this unique record due the groups affiliation with Moraz. Thankfully MAINHORSE is at last receiving the respect and admiration it has always deserved.”

Some find the influence of Jon Lord and the fact that he often sounds like a cross between the early Deep Purple and The Nice ...
    Whatever you think, this is a good album with a skillful keyboard and a beautiful lead guitar:

Passing Years

Mainhorse Airline 1969 version with David Kubinec (lead vocals) sounds even more heart-wrenching:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCSYdcaQmWs
    Pale Sky
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROMRe1prvBo
    Live version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOAJVOO-r0M

More Tea Vicar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TGLRu-niCM

I will take my chances with a new 2020 Japanese remaster.

Cardboard sleeve reissue featuring SHM-CD format. 2020 remaster. Comes with a live 1974 disc.” ($37.98)

Previous release by Warner in 2005:
    [​IMG]

(translation)
    Refugee [SHM-CD] / Refugee
    “[Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] In 1973, the image of Nice was updated with a keyboard trio formed by former Nice Lee Jackson, Brian Davison and Patrick Morraz, and a real progressive rock work. The thrilling and lively performance is wonderful. However, although this work was released in 1974, an unfortunate band that began its history with Moraz joining Yes shortly after. In addition to a paper jacket, the latest remaster of 2020, SHM-CD, the definitive contents including a disc containing the live performance of June 1974!”

The previous story is well known, Keith Emerson, the heart and sould of THE NICE left the band to form the first Prog supergroup ELP, so in that instant THE NICE ceased to exist. But bassist Lee Jackson and drummer Brian Davidson wanted to revive the band, so they searched for another keyboardist who could replace Keith, and they found him. The Swiss born virtuoso Patrick Moraz left MAINHORSE so they recruited him and the result was incredibly solid.”

“REFUGEE is one of these "must have" albums, if you really like the progressive rock genre. That is, prog rock with massive keyboards and based on classical themes. Overall, the album displays huge musicianship and talent, lots of interesting keyboard playing and a phenomenal back up by Lee and Davison. The vocals are a bit "off" but still in the context of the music. The opening of the album with Papillion is a piece played in fast tempo based on the same themes as Gaillarde (Trace - Trace 1973) with bits and pieces from "The Flight of The Bumblebee". The album moves into "Someday" which is a more rock song with vocals, great drumming on this track. The third track is "Grand Canyon" which is a suite running 16 minutes plus. I'd call this tune a true prog rock masterpiece. "Ritt Mickley" is a more jazz inspired tune and exposes lots of great bass and drumming. The last tune is "credo" another suite played in pure Keith Emerson style, mixing classics and pieces of jazz. Exceptional piano playing by Moraz. The sound of mellotron and Church Organs fits perfectly with the progression of the song and makes quite a closing of a great prog rock album. Again, for those familiar with Triumvirat, Trace, and ELP; Refugee is an album much worth having.

In one way I feel that if Moraz hadn’t left Refugee to join Yes on Relayer, we'd have had some more great albums by this band.” (progarhives)

Ritt Mickley Live (BBC Radio 1 "In Concert", 9 May 1974)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnz8TzIXlLI
    Someday
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvpS3xSR0Ms

Cardboard sleeve reissue featuring SHM-CD format. 2020 remaster. Comes with two bonus tracks.”

Previous release by Disk Union label Arcangelo in 2006:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(translation)
    The Story Of I [SHM-CD] / Patrick Moraz
    “[Bell Antique Paper Jacket Series] From Switzerland, Patrick Moraz, who suddenly became a keyboard hero in his career at Refugy, joined Yes as the successor to Rick Wakeman and created the first of his solo album. The progressiveness of playing various keyboard groups inexhaustibly in all directions and the fusion of the first-class fusion world such as Jeff Burlin and Alphonse Musern (former Weather Report), further develops the music that Yes tried in "Relayer". It is a masterpiece among the masterpieces that makes it possible to recognize the high contribution of Morraz in this work again! Paper jacket, remastered by himself (2020 remastered), SHM-CD, 2 bonus songs. The definitive contents of the recording!”

“After playing a role in the success of Yes’ Relayer album in 1974, keyboardist Patrick Moraz launched a solo career and became one of the more celebrated keyboardists of his age. During the '70s, when Moraz reached his prime as an artist, the keyboard was still a new and complex instrument. Technology was still evolving in the age before the personal computer. For this reason, Moraz's trailblazing keyboard work startled his audience. He practiced a new and exciting sound that was ahead of its time, owing a bit to the era's prog rock sound. However, that prog rock sound soon lost its novelty as the '70s became the '80s, and Moraz had to adjust to the times on his '80s solo albums. At the same time he found security in the Moody Blues, a legendary band whose ranks he joined for a few albums.
    Born in Morgues, Switzerland, Moraz spent his youth studying music at fine European schools as well as classical studies in Latin and ancient Greek later on. His studies cumlimanted with his time spent as a student of Nadia Boulanger, a highly regarded teacher. His first taste of major artistic recognition came when he was awarded Best Soloist at the Jazz Festival of Zurich in 1963 for his piano playing. As a result of his recognition, Moraz began performing as the opening act for major jazz artists. By the late '60s, he was mounting tours of his own across Europe; in 1965, he came for the first time to America; and in 1966 and 1967, he was performing in such far-away locales as Africa and the Middle East.

Moraz then began working in group settings after his success as a solo performer. He formed Maihorse. The group released an eponymous album on Polydor before Moraz moved to London and started another group, Refugee, with Lee Jackson and Brian Davidson. It wasn't long, however, until Moraz was onto something new, his biggest opportunity yet. In August 1974, Yes invited him to join them as the group's keyboardist and Moraz accepted. The group had become quite ambitious by this point and began working on what would become one of their most celebrated albums, Relayer, an album that Yes toured behind for three years.

After so much touring, Yes decided to take a break so the group members could explore solo projects. Moraz worked with 16 Brazilian percussionists in addition to a normal bass/guitar/drums band, creating his first solo album, Story of I (1976), which would become perhaps his most well-known. Atlantic released the album and it impressed many, winning Moraz much admiration. He released several follow-up albums for different labels, the first of which, Out in the Sun (1977), continued to explore his interest in Brazilian music.

Following the success of Out in the Sun, the Moody Blues invited him to join the band on its world tour for the comeback album Octave. Following the tour, Moraz helped the band craft Long Distance Voyager, a huge success for the band. While with the Moody Blues, he continued recording solo albums. Future Memories I (1979) and Future Memories II (1982) were quite revolutionary for their time and were chosen to represent Switzerland at the Montreux Golden Rose Festival. His other early-'80s works were equally as daring, though not always popular. By 1991, Moraz had decided to part ways with the Moody Blues and continued to concentrate on his long-running solo career.” -- Jason Birchmeier, All Music Guide

Music here (14 short pieces) is a little sketchy, in my opinion. I prefer his previous works with other bands to his solo albums. Due to his virtuosity and ability to play in any style Patrick shines as a team player.

Nevertheless, the album has its moments:

Intermezzo (2019 Remaster)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAZtfEvefeQ
    Best Years of Our Lives (2019 Remaster)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bad5o1SZ40U
    Rise and Fall (2019 Remaster)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW0c_aRaG_Q

Here he works on Steve Howe solo album Beginnings (1975) Live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBRVPudvB3A

If previous releases sound not so good, it more likely points to poor recording quality.
    Belle was not happy with the 2019 remaster and tried to improve the sound in 2020 – this is a good thing. But did they succeed? This is a Japanese remaster, and we have no info yet, who did remaster and what approach was used, for example, to smooth off the brightness and such… They could roll off the highs… The chances that the sound will be improved are not that great, I think.

[​IMG]
    Airmail Records box set was released in 2009 with a new mastering. 1st album of this mastering is not available even now (?)

Jagger69 and Musicisthebest like this.
  2. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

The 1st paragraph you've quoted states that the 2020 remaster is done by Patrick Moraz. However the heavily compressed & still bright (but not excruciatingly so) 2019 remaster was also remastered by Patrick Moraz, together with Jean Ristori at MTX Mastering Studio according to the 2019 Esoteric CD sleeve notes. As PM was presumably happy with what he did in 2019 I can't see the 2020 version being much different. Another factor is the SHM material used for this release. With some releases I've noticed that the SHM material can slightly add to the brightness of recordings, something that the 2019 master does NOT need.

I hope I'm wrong & we get a decent sounding CD of this great piece of music, something that has yet to happen in my opinion.

ispace, toilet_doctor and Jagger69 like this.
  3. toilet_doctor

I just listened to the remaster of Esoteric Mainhorse 2019. Only two tracks # 4 "Pale Sky" and # 6 "More Tea Vicar" (about 14 minutes) sound good. The others have the same problem you mentioned: brightness and dynamics left a lot to be desired.

Interesting discrepancies on the remaster:
    In the booklet credit notes: “Re-mastered by Jean Restori at MTX Mastering.” (No Moraz has been mentioned).
    In the minimalist booklet liner notes: “The album has been re-mastered personally by Jean Ristori and Patrick Moraz for this release.
    In the description on the Esoteric and Cherry Red websites: “This edition has been newly re-mastered under the supervision of Patrick Moraz and is a most welcome reissue.”

These are misleading statements. How deeply were the artists involved? Perhaps they only approved of the work of some sound engineers because they were convinced that they couldn't do better.
    Now they are continuing in Japan - no, I don't think Patrick was happy with the job in 2019.

I’m still going to buy this 2020 release and we’ll see what is going on.

Musicisthebest and Jagger69 like this.
  4. toilet_doctor

Together with Patric Moraz The Story Of I box set, two more albums will be released by Belle:

Aug. 25, 2020

(SHM-CD)
    Mainhorse S/T
    Refugee S/T (2SHM-CD)
    Patrick Moraz The Story Of I

Dulcimer And I Turned As I Had A Boy
    Lost World Band Trajectory

“Cardboard sleeve reissue featuring SHM-CD format. 2020 remaster.” ($29.92)

This album was released before by Airmail Records as a part of Larry Page Collection:
    [​IMG]

And I Turned As I Had Turned As A Boy [SHM-CD] / Dulcimer
    "[Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] NEPENTHA released Dulcimer in 1971. The three members play guitar, woodwinds, dulcimer, bass, and vocals. Among British folk/trad works, the concept-oriented music and the delicate performances are splendidly dreamed and splendid. The sound of Dulcimer, who is said to be a distant ancestor of the piano, adds color to the album's exoticism. A beautiful work in which beautiful jacket work talks about its contents. Paper jacket, SHM-CD, the definitive contents of the latest 2020 remaster!"

[​IMG]

DULCIMER were a longstanding collective consisting of three musicians, all multi-instrumentalists: Dave Eaves, Pete Hodges and Jem North. The band's origins are sketchy, but they recorded their debut 'And I Turned As I Had Turned As a Boy' as a trio under the direction of Troggs manager Larry Page in 1970. The album made little impression at the time but is widely sought-after by serious UK folk music collectors today. The album has been reissued several times on both vinyl and CD. The band recorded twice more in the early seventies before fading into obscurity, but neither 'Room for Thought' or 'A Land Fit for Heroes' (with rural English author Fred Archer) would find their way into official release until years later. DULCIMER had a resurgence of sorts in the nineties thanks to the small President Records label, who released a trio of the band's albums as well as the shelved 'Room for Thought' project on CD ('A Land Fit for Heroes' had been issued thanks to the band's own financing in 1980). Their music has been described as folk-rock and is mostly acoustic and features odd themes, creative arrangements and occasional progressive forays. DULCIMER will appeal to fans of understated, acoustic-driven music with classic folk instrumentation such as mandolins, acoustic guitars, flutes and of course dulcimers.” (progarchives)

While It Lasted

Sonnet to the Fall
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb2IfLt2oug
    Morman’s Casket
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMTg-WNtXl4&t=197s
    Pilgrim from the City
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvGNG5qpEcI
    Time In My Life
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL4THGpKWqU

Trajectory 2020 version [SHM-CD] / Lost World Band
    “[Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] Lost World Band from Russia who has released 5 studio works to date. A debut album of a phantom work that became difficult to obtain immediately after its release in 2002 by a band formed mainly by three friends from the Moscow Conservatory, one of the three major conservatoires in the world. It's a renowned masterpiece that features a modern concerto "Trajectory" for violin and flute, and expresses hard tunes with a powerful performance. The ultimate version of a paper jacket, SHM-CD, and 7 bonus songs! A memorial release to Vasily Soloviev, a fruitist who died in February 2020. Contains 7 bonus tracks.”

[​IMG]

“Lost World Band was founded in Moscow, Russia in 1990 (initially as simply "Lost World") - Still active as of 2019’
    The way they play classical rock is unlike anyone else, and some of it is outstanding. LOST WORLD was formed by 3 conservatory-trained students in 1990, but their debut album, "Trajectories", was only released in 2003 by Boheme Music. The trio ( Vassily Soloviev- flute, vocal, guitar; Andy Didorenko - acoustic and electric violin, guitar, bass guitar ; Alexander Akimov - keyboards, programming, sound engineering ) wrote short yet complex and skillfully arranged (featuring flute, violins, acoustic guitar) songs and instrumental tracks.
    Their second album, the completely instrumental "Awakening of the Elements", was released in 2006 by MUSEA. This is classical progressive rock of the highest order, with flute and violin featured prominently. Probably because they are Russian, they sound unlike any of the other prog bands with heavy classical influences, so ther music sounds quite original. These guys can definitely play and write great music.
    LOST WORLD cover a variety of styles, with moods ranging from dark and frenetic to gentle, romantic and pastoral. Because the pieces are generally of modest length, it never gets boring. Soft soundscapes change into riffy moments, violin interplays with flute, complex signatures and shifting moods abound. Very good for those who about to be introduced to Russian Prog!”

Trajectory 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGVYZDmeQVo
    Trajectory 2 (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dsaxYQfOv4
    My Heart Was Crushed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoS5txo55qk
    There's Day, There's Night
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBd0O_9e-o4
    Yesterday Night
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJWrihhKRQ
    Birds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiRRXhK0FCY
    The Curtain
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_d_n7x94ck

Shvartze Shabbos and Jagger69 like this.
  5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

July 28, 2020
    Syd Barret: 4 Mini LP x Blu-spec CD2 Reissues
    [​IMG]

Four rock masterpieces from Syd Barret finally will be released as cardboard sleeve reissues. Each features Japan exclusive high fidelity Blu-spec CD2 format. We could say this is a miracle release as they had been delayed over a year from their original release date . . . Don't miss out this chance.

This series features the following titles: "The Madcap Laughs," "Barrett," "Opel," and "An Introduction to Syd Barrett."

zinan, Shvartze Shabbos and Jagger69 like this.
  6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Are they doing a new remaster or just using the latest masters?

Shvartze Shabbos and Jagger69 like this.
  7. dsdu

Don't know, but it says reissue and doesn't mention remaster.

Jagger69 and noname74 like this.
  8. toilet_doctor

- update -

The first 5 Can UHQCD titles that were previously offered as a promo box only can now be purchased separately on eBay.

9. toilet_doctor

This is how they look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boaz, Shvartze Shabbos and Jagger69 like this.
  10. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Can also be purchased from yesasia and hmv Japan.

Jagger69 and toilet_doctor like this.
  11. toilet_doctor

Five more Can albums have been announced for the September release - UHQCD, but again at the same price as regular Mini LP CDs ($22.26).

Sep. 25, 2020

(UHQCD)
    Can Soundtracks
    Can Future Days
    Can Unlimited Edition
    Can Out Of Reach
    Can Rite Time

“CAN cardboard sleeve reissue feature UHQCD format. Original artwork.”

(translation)
    Soundtracks [UHQCD] / Can
    “It is a work that collects the soundtrack sound source of the movie that was in charge at the beginning of the formation, but there is no blur in the original sound color. Malcolm Mooney, Damo Suzuki and the only singer to listen to the songs of the two singers. Includes eternal anthem "Mother Sky". Overseas liner notes/commentary by David Stubbs (author of "Future Days - The Construction of Krautrock and Modern Germany"). Paper jacket specifications (reproduce the original artwork). Original Release Date: 1970.”

She Brings The Rain

Mother Sky
    Can did a lot of soundtrack work, for both film and television, so “Soundtracks” cherry picks the highlights and arranges them in a very intelligent tracklist. However, the real killing blow for “Soundtracks” is how it all ends. “Mother Sky” recorded in July 1970 for the soundtrack of Jerzy Skolimowski's film Deep End is fourteen and a half minutes of utter devastation. Probably the most scorched, searching guitar work Karoli ever released. Here sounds like he is unpicking the skies with his fingers. Underneath that, Holger and Jaki fuse into an inhuman rhythm machine playing some secret, primal, snapping, tribal stomp. When Jaki begins unleashing drum rolls, it is physically impossible not to move in some way. The whole rhythm insinuates its way into your body and takes over in a manner that would be frightening if it wasn’t so pleasurable. Damo sings softly over the top finding exactly the right words to articulate what is going on, like some gentle shaman. Irmin, sneaks in making his keyboards sound like electric shocks. It is a musical bomb. The picture is from the original Liberty's promotional poster for Soundtracks, and was used at the back cover of the original record too.” (comment)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVi-UTF9PL4
    Deadlock
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4cTGyV918E

(translation)
    Future Days [UHQCD] / Can
    “A popular work competing for 12 among all the works. It is also the most optimistic album of all the works. We dream of the future as the peaceful sound of the title song, warm polyrhythms, and pleasant electronic sounds pouring from the sky. Japan original edition. Includes overseas liner notes. Paper jacket specifications (reproduce the original artwork). Original Release Date: 1973”

(from reviews)
    As one of the essential Can albums, Future Days may be the most balanced of them all. Leaving behind the experimental prog rock that the band had established on previous albums, this record is much more ambient in terms of music. Damo Suzuki's voice is also lower in the mix this time. This would be his last LP with the band before leaving and starting solo projects. It was probably the right decision, because this album would be a difficult one to follow up.
    Many reviewers have observed that Future Days is Can's "summer" album, and I would have to agree. "Moonshake is the ideal beach music. The rest of the songs have a soothing ocean-side atmosphere to them.
    It's a blissful forty
    minutes. Listen to it however you can and try to forget about life's troubles, if only for a short period of time.”

A warm, Krautrockish breeze: 9/10
    FUTURE DAYS is a demonstration that even ambient music can be unique and accomplished when done correctly. CAN channeled their psychedelia in a hypnotic and immersive atmosphere, built atop several layers of electronic, synthesized and unusual sonorities. The result, a relaxed melody akin to tropical lullabies, depicts a certain degree of experimentalism without sounding absurd or downright bizarre
    .”
    (progarchives)

Moonshake (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22m57uHa8AA
    Future Days
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JKb5xbYkYg

(translation)
    Unlimited Edition [UHQCD] / Can
    “It is one of the masterpieces, though it is an unpublished sound source collection until 1975, in that CAN's world music adventure = popular name "quasi-ethnic series" can be heard. It's amazing that you can't feel the latest sound when you listen to it now. Includes overseas liner notes. Paper jacket specifications (reproduce the original artwork). Original Release Date: 1976”

(from review)
    All of Can's albums were recorded in their own studio, Inner Space, initially located in an old castle and subsequently in a disused cinema. When they weren't touring, they worked in the studio every day, with bassist Holger Czukay acting as producer and engineer. Their first few albums were recorded on 2-track equipment, and it was not until they were well established that multi track recording became available to them. Unlimited Edition is drawn from something like 7 years worth of work, some of it material left off mainstream releases, some of it work in progress, some of it apparently recorded for the band's own amusement and all of it fascinating.
    Both of Can's lead vocalists, the American Malcolm Mooney and the Japanese Damo Suzuki, are represented on this album, and there is also plenty of instrumental work. Tracks 1 - 13 were originally released as Limited Edition a couple of years prior to this, and were combined with the remaining pieces to make an excellent value double album in 1976

This is not a great album for the Can newbie, but for anybody interested in Can or in German progressive music generally it's highly recommended.”

Empress And The Ukraine King
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrK8RGNYljw

(translation)
    Out of Reach [UHQCD] / Can
    “As a result of the change in the dynamics of the group without the participation of Czukai, the content was fluffy, and at one point it was an unfortunate work that saw the anxiety of omission from the official discography, but there are also attempts to explore the critical point of CAN's methodology, and it is quite interesting to listen now . Commentary; Paper jacket specifications (reproduce the original artwork). Original Release Date: 1978”

Give Me No Roses
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhkGlw2br6w

(translation)
    Right Time [UHQCD] / Can
    “The only reunion board created by the disbanded CAN by recalling the original singer Malcolm Mooney. The sound sense and skill of each person's solo career, especially Shukai, are shining in making Dadaistic or insane sounds. Overseas Liner Notes. Paper jacket specifications. Original Release Date: 1989”

Review
    “The name 'Can' within the music world was almost something relating to a bygone era by the time 'Rite Time' had appeared in 1989. This album, actually recorded in '87, shelved, mixed in '88, shelved, finally prepared for release during '89 by Holger Czukay, demonstrated a group of musicians that had polished their 'chops' and releasing something which was almost a convincing, mainstream product that was (possibly) aimed at winning a legion of new fans, and maybe becoming a new lease-of-life for the fans of old - that's the way I understand it to be, but it didn't quite work out that way. 'Rite Time' tried too hard to be an acceptable item, both commercially, and nostalgically, and hence only featured shades of brilliance. The line-up was once again the 'classic' one of MONSTER MOVIE infamy with dear Malcolm Mooney on vox, Czukay on Bass and Horn, Liebezeit on Percussion, Karoli on Guitars and Schmidt handling the modern keyboards (no trippy Farfisa Organs or Alpha 77 synthi this time around) , the choice tunes of the album are the longer cuts : 'On The Beautiful Side of a Romance' being one of Can's most accomplished compositions, 'Like a New Child' and 'Give The Drummer Some' showing elements of the free-spirited jamming that was their trademark during the 70's. The shorter tunes are quirky, catchy and slightly demented thanks to Mooney's ranting - for me, I say it's worth it for the Beautiful Romance track alone, so, generously award it a 3-star rating
    .”

On the Beautiful Side of a Romance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBeTer2li9k
    Like A New Child
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSiR93IMAQI

Jagger69 likes this.
  12. toilet_doctor

Maurice, Jagger69 and Dok like this.
  13. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Unlike the earlier Can UHQCDs these will be available from CD Japan. No mention on the CD Japan website about the mastering.

Boaz, Jagger69 and toilet_doctor like this.
  14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Mastering credits? Ted Jensen's name appear anywhere?

15. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Yes. “Mastered from the original two track master tapes by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, New York, 2001”. In the insert.

16. toilet_doctor

Traffic has no experience with Mini LPs, they messed up the first batch, deciding for box sets from the beginning, then for individual CDs - cdjapan didn't order them on time. It is possible that they will receive them soon or only from the second run, if any... The 2nd box has not been announced yet...
    I'm quiet sure, this is 2007 Spoon Records, UK Remaster. You can see on the back:

Remastered Edition, 2007
    [​IMG]

Same 2007 Spoon Records, UK mentioned on back cover, nothing on OBI
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another secret of the low price of the UHQCD pressing is revealed: Printed in Taiwan.

It's worth thinking about. This has never happened before, even with SHM.
    Whereas UHQ is much complex stuff involving a manufacturing process.

For better or worse, UHQCDs came out of Japan before our very eyes...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  17. Kopczas

Kopczas No nonsense audiophile

More likely paper sleeve has been printed outside Japan. Correct me if I`m wrong but even it`s true that there is pressing plant on Taiwan, it would start production with something closer to mainstream due to lower risk of profitless release. The other way it make no sense to me, cause technology costs, rights to release cost and so on, so it wouldn`t be possible to make final product cheaper, moreover for typical consumer buying one CD for 22$ is heresy since cheaper edition is available. We are minor target.
    But I might be wrong, and if quality (materials, precision, audio data) of Taiwan pressing would equal to Japanesee, then it`s good IMO.

toilet_doctor and Jagger69 like this.
  18. swintonlion

Cds made in Japan, listening to Ege Bamyasi now.

toilet_doctor and Kopczas like this.
  19. toilet_doctor

The first pancake is lumpy.
    With this Traffic label everything got mixed up. If CD says "Made in Japan" then this is a replica of 2007 Spoon Records, UK LP printed in Taiwan or covers printed in Taiwan.

The Traffic should put all the info on the OBI - not on the cover.
    Also, when they used abroad printing, they put in an announcement: "Disc made outside of Japan".
    It was very doubtful that they will allow small independent label to do something with UHQCDs outside of Japan.
    It is a plant with a dedicated production line with a quality control at every stage, where everything must comply with Japanese specifications.
    Even Hong Kong major labels branches print their limited editions in Japan.
    It seems like a promotional price like first Universal Mini LP UHQCDs.

What's about sound, swintonlion?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Jagger69 likes this.
  20. swintonlion

I do not have another version of the cd to compare but this cd sounds fantastic, very dynamic sounding. The book inside looks like a replica of the earlier release cds, i have Future Days remaster and the layout of the book is the same as that with the same credits, one other point no Tago Mago cd yet not sure why, will be ordering more of these. The sleeve is a little flimsy but only a minor quibble.

Boaz likes this.
  21. toilet_doctor

Yes, they said in the ad: "Foreign Notes / Commentary by David Stubbs." Maybe the sleeves are printed in Taiwan (?)
    Possible they will do 5 more albums with Tago Mago.

What's in the credit notes about the remaster?

22. swintonlion

Remastered by Andreas Torkler using the original master tapes at Sonopress, with group members in attendance.

23. gjuro76

gjuro76 Forum Resident

Owned these first three albums on Simply Vinyl lp's. Liked them a lot.

24. swintonlion

As i posted about the remastering credits from the booklet not to say that is correct
    could of used the original booklet and the cd mastering my have been tweeked, but only a thought no evidence of that.

25. dsdu

When I preordered I selected registered airmail shipping. Hoping that option is available in September or else shipping will cost me a whole lot more.:sweating: