Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

The best way to avoid cracked cases during shipping is to stick with Mini LP releases.
    Stay tuned, buy your favorites in time while they are still available at retail price.
    That's what this thread is about - helping people decide what to buy.

2. toilet_doctor

Sony has added a new title to the 7” Mini LP Hybrid SACD series with a nice price of $33.94:

Aug. 03, 2022

Toto TOTO IV 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (7-inch Mini LP Hybrid SACD, 5.1 ch)

Please note:
    It looks like only CD layer is 2018 remaster, but SACD layer is 2003 I think…
    [​IMG]
    "TOTO IV" Japanese original 40th anniversary deluxe edition features SACD hybrid (5.1ch) format. Its CD layer includes audio tracks remastered by Elliot Scheiner in 2018. This edition also includes four bonus tracks. They are based on unfinished outtakes from recording sessions from 1981-1982 and completed as new songs in 2018. Comes with a 1982 Japan tour pamphlet replica, a tour poster, a ticket for Budokan concert, and a donut vinyl single jacket replica. 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging.”

(translation)
    TOTO IV 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition [Limited Edition] / TOTO
    “TOTO has a great influence on the sound image formation of <City Pop>, which is popular all over the world in the history of AOR / ROCK. One of the most important AOR / ROCK records of TOTO is the 40th anniversary of its release and the 45th anniversary of its formation. In addition, this year is 30 years after the death of legendary drummer Jeff Porcaro, who was also the spiritual pillar of the band.
    TOTO's masterpiece, which sold 12 million copies worldwide and won the Grammy Awards in six major categories at the time, is now available as a 40th anniversary DX edition (SACD 5.1 ch hybrid board) unique to Japan! 5.1ch The SACD layer that recorded the audio is overwhelmed by the finely structured sound that pops out well separated from the five speakers. In addition, the CD layer uses a sound source that was remastered under the supervision of members by Elliot Scheiner, who is known for his work with Steely Dan in 2018. Furthermore, based on the unfinished outtakes from the recording session from 1981 to 1982, 4 songs completed as new songs in 2018 are additionally recorded as bonus tracks. 1982 JAPAN Tour Pamphlet Replica, Tour Poster, Budokan Performance Ticket, Analog Edition Single Jacket Replica, Member's Session List BOOK, etc. Fans coveted board full of valuable memorabilia! 7-nch paper jacket specification.”

Waiting for Your Love

It's a Feeling (Live, 2016)
    https://youtu.be/Belf2LxrOXo

3. Automatic buy! And I have the 2003 SACD and 2018 (or 19?) complete album box. Artwork is worth the 33 bucks alone!

4. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Bought

toilet_doctor likes this.
  5. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

Odd. I just received 6 from them.

Jagger69, Terry and toilet_doctor like this.
  6. toilet_doctor

2003 SACD runs from $70 to $100 even now...

jhm, Rockstar2112, ispace and 2 others like this.
  7. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I love these 7” sacd releases, totally in

8. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Just received the recent re-released SHM-CDs from Norah Jones, they are not advertised as such but they are a mini lp cardboard sleeve release, and for some strange reason they are not the same dimensions sized sleeves, The Fall being a fair bit bigger. no new mastering but bonus tracks for these Japanese cds.

9. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

I will definitely buy this SACD hybrid of "Toto IV". It is my favorite Toto album. I hope that they will do "The Seventh One" next :agree:

10. toilet_doctor

This is something "never heard of" before.
    "To commemorate its 20th anniversary, we reissued four titles, "Feels Like Home," "Not Too Late," "The Fall," and "Norah Jones' Free Time."
    [The Fall] This is the 4th album released in 2009. Featuring her new band members with Jacqueline King as her producer. A collaborative songwriting with Ryan Adams, Okkervil River Will Sheff, and Jesse Harris."
    Standard size is 135x135mm, what is it in this release? Are they all the same?

11. swintonlion

The Fall measures 140 mm x 150m mm wide, the Featuring cd alsò in this re release series measures 125 mm x 140 mm wide, these are the 2 I have at the moment . One possible explanation could be that the sleeves could have been made out of Japan .

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  12. swintonlion

I've opened The Fall cd and there is a fold out 250 mm x 350 mm poster enclosed picture is similar to the cover photo but not the same, on one side and the lyrics on the other side, could have come with the original vinyl release unfortunately I do not have to compare.

13. toilet_doctor

125 x 140 mm is a standard digipak size. The poster dictated non-standard cover, which we usually call Mini LP style. It was done like this in 2009 by Blue Note in US:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They should come with standard Mini LPs, but don't want to reformat this poster.

Jagger69 and swintonlion like this.
  14. toilet_doctor

P.S.
    Japanese 2009 version of The Fall (made by EMI, Japan) is repeating US version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interestingly, despite SHM treatment, the price of the new release went down on a couple bucks.
    By the way, in 2010, they released Deluxe Ed. 2CD with live album.

jfeldt and Jagger69 like this.
  15. Kopczas

Kopczas No nonsense audiophile

LOL.. I just got All In One box!!! but yeah for SACD stereo I`ll get this one too :D

Jagger69 and toilet_doctor like this.
  16. swintonlion

Regarding the Norah Jones SHM-CDs I've just received the Not Too Late cd and this release is NOT a card sleeve but a jewel case, so a real missed bag, i will not be getting the other re releases as ive got the MQA-UHQCD editions, will be interesting to know if anyone purchases them what form they are.

17. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

Interesting Fun Fact for mini lp lovers: in Japan, a "mini lp" is called and known as simply a "paper sleeve" CD.

18. toilet_doctor

The most of Norah Jones SHM releases are jewel cases. I use to have 2016 Day Breaks in digipak, but was really disappointed with the sound - don't bother with it:

[​IMG]

2019 "Begin Again" SHM-CD came in cardboard sleeves, but I don't know what format and size - it looks like Mini LP style:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe it's a digipak... This is a very nice album, but I didn't buy it, because it too short (under 18 min).

To make everything more crazy and mixed up, they released Pick Me Up Off the Floor in SHM as a jewel case ed. and Deluxe Ed. w/2 bonus tracks in a 7-inch Mini LP cover, but it is a regular import disc:
    [​IMG]
    Pick Me Up Off the Floor + 2 (LTD.DLX) [Limited Edition] [Import Edition] / Norah Jones
    "Norah Jones' 7th studio album is now available as a limited edition deluxe edition! Includes standard edition + 2 bonus tracks ("Street Strangers" and "Tryin'To Keep It Together").
    7 inch paper jacket specifications. Includes sheet music for "I'm Alive," "Flame Twin," and "Hurts To Be Alone."

If you like Norah's smoky timbre, don't miss her live album "...'Til We Meet Again" SHM-CD of 2021.
    Unfortunately, this is a jewel case and not cheap, but worth the price - musically strong, with extended versions and different arrangements (11-12 out of 15). But, unusual for live recording great sound, elevated it a couple of notches higher - very balanced sound, with life-like vocals, lush piano and very tight bass. This sound on its own could be used as a sampler, but listen to this massive song:

My god, I can't help myself I’ve got to hear you again and again, and again” (comment)

One more from this album
    https://youtu.be/kfhQjEzxyGs

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Jagger69 likes this.
  19. toilet_doctor

Even more: "Paper Sleeve" is already our interpretation, they call them "Paper Jackets".

Jagger69 likes this.
  20. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Did anyone pick up the new Hanoi Rocks mini lps?

21. toilet_doctor

The Mini LP treatment of one of the latest King Crimson Live album 2 SHM-CD comes in August ($33.74).
    At the same time, 4 solo albums of Robert Fripp will come as a remastered Mini LP SHM release ($22.28, Exposure - $36.98).

Aug. 17, 2022

(Mini LP SHM-CD)
    King Crimson Music Is Our Friend (Live in Washington and Albany, 2021) [2 Mini LP SHM-CD]
    Robert Fripp Exposure - Fourth Edition (Steven Wilson Mix) [SHM-CD+DVD-A]
    Robert Fripp God Save the Queen / Under Heavy Manners
    Robert Fripp Let the Power Fall
    Robert Fripp Washington Square Church 1981

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jewel case version was released on Dec. 22, 2021 (out of print)

(translation)
    Music Is Our Friend (Live in Washington & Albany 2021) [SHM-CD] / King Crimson
    “The latest live album of King Crimson's last (?) Performance in Washington, D.C. on September 11, 2021 with the addition of the sound source of the Albany performance on August 22 as a bonus is now on sale! Corona The United States, which had been on the alert due to the terrible situation. King Crimson became the first British band touring the United States since 2020, when the artist's tour was isolated. Super veterans, musicians who are at risk of life if they get over 300 years of corona when all ages are added, have taken a harsh tour by bubble movement on a tour bus! Since 1969, they have toured many times. The performance at Washington, D.C. The Ansem on September 11, 2021, which is said to be the last performance in the Americas, was announced as a live album. It was a rush release before the heat immediately after the tour ended, and it was released immediately after the Japan tour from the end of November 2021 to the beginning of December. So, the old label released it with jewel case specifications. Since all of Millennium Crimson's live albums have been released in paper jackets, there were many requests for paper jackets, so this time it will be released as a repackage version. The SHM-CD format, which was also used on the old label, will be inherited as it is. The aggressive performance that has nothing to do with the slowdown of BPM, performance potential, and deterioration of power seen in the live performances of many veteran bands fully demonstrates its power and destructive power even in this 2021 live sound source. An excellent live album where you can enjoy the threatening performance that is not ashamed of the name of the strongest progressive rock band in existence! Commentary, lyrics included.”

Review

Comments
    “I was at the DC show and there was no ASS left in the building because KC kicked all of it.”
    “Just heard it. Sounds Amazing. Great, Great Performance.”

“Starless” (Live at Orchard Hall in Tokyo 8th December 2021)
    [​IMG]
    https://youtu.be/laKt80x0E4k

Count me in.

Jagger69 likes this.
  22. toilet_doctor

Robert Fripp to release "Exposure - Fourth Edition (Steven Wilson Mix)." This Japanese edition exclusively features the high-fidelity SHM-CD format. Disc 2 (DVD audio only) is pressed in Japan. Features 5.1ch surround sound, stereo (both 24/96), the 3rd edition, and "Last of the Great New York Heartthrobs." Features a Mini LP, replicating its original UK design. For the DVD, its jacket features the design of the EP "Network" released in the US. Comes with lyrics.”

[​IMG]
    2006 Mini LP release

(translation)
    Exposure 4th Edition (Steven Wilson Mix) [SHM-CD + DVD] [Limited Edition] / Robert Fripp
    “Robert Fripp's solo album released in the valley of Crimson's supreme masterpiece "Red" and "Discipline" that shocked the 80's music scene is re-appearing in the final form! Steven Wilson's original multitrack tape The new mix from was named the 4th edition. At the time of its release, it was regarded as the central figure of the relics of the past in the UK, but in the new activity base NY, it develops free-spirited activities with artists of New Wave, punk, pop and funk. A borderless rock album born from such free music activities. Guests are backed up by a luxurious and strong lineup of guests such as Daryl Hall, Peter Gabriel, Peter Hammill, Phil Collins, Brian Eno, Michael Walden, Tony Levin and Rick Marotta. Only the Japanese edition uses the SHM-CD format for the CD (limited / normal), and the limited edition disc 2 DVD (audio only) is a domestic press. In addition to recording the 4th edition in high resolution in 5.1ch surround and stereo (both 24/96), the 2005 3rd edition, the "Last of" which can be said to be the original "exposure" that was stored with complaints from the management of Darryl Hall.・ Great New York Hearts Robbs ”is also included. The paper jacket reproduces the original British version E-type jacket for both limited and normal editions, and the EP "Network" jacket released in the United States is used for the limited edition DVD. With English commentary translation and lyrics.”

Review
    The debut of Robert Fripp still has some recognizable aspects of King Crimson's Larques’ Tongues - Red period. Exposure is the bridge between this period and the later King Crimson. Many great guests were invited to work on this record like Peter Hammill and Peter Gabriel. Still this ain't no masterpiece, because the songs/compositions don't have the great atmosphere of King Crimson and most of them are based on some small themes and don't have the song progression that we were used to. The record contains Rock'n Roll, Crimson alike riffs, ballads and Frippertronics. And one thing is for sure: the songs have over the top vocals except the last song sung by Gabriel which is a gentle one. Peter Hammill and the woman vocalist Daryl Hall give themselves totally and reach a certain level of craziness.
    This is a quiet divers record with some nice songs, and I quess Fripp and his fellow musicians had some joy during the recordings. This record is enjoyable and a nice addition for King
    rimson or Peter Hammill fans. Prepare for the crazier side of Fripp! Three stars.

(progarchives)

Contribution of Peter Gabriel “Here Comes the Flood” is the best moment of this album:

Breathless
    https://youtu.be/Rz1GVwLwH2M

I May Not Have Had Enough Of Me But I've Had Enough Of You
    https://youtu.be/t4xg2y7N2tM

[​IMG]

(translation)
    God Save the Queen / Under Heavy Manners (Remaster Edition) [SHM-CD] / Robert Fripp What is Discotronics? The most mysterious discipline Crimson in Robert Fripp's history is re-released in a paper jacket and remastered format on the eve of the birth of Discipline Crimson! The second album under the name of Robert Fripp, which was released following "Exposure". At the time of its release, fans who expected something to follow the sound of "Exposure" turned it over. Although under the name of Flip, this work was a work of Fripp & Eno and a work in a different category connected to the current Soundscape series. For Robert Fripp, this work was "examine and submit some ideas that are important to me." The first half "God Save the Queen", which corresponds to the A side of the original analog, is a part that reconstructs the “Flippertronics” performance sound source that has undergone a masterpiece evolution from the latter half of the 1970s. The controversial second half, Under Heavy Manners, was a funk named “Discotronics” with guests including David Byrne of Talking Heads, Basta Cherry Jones, who was a sideman of Talking Heads at the time, and Paul Duskin on drums. Challenge to rock. The work that has been out of print for a long time has been remastered and released on SHM-CD, a paper jacket only in Japan (the first paper jacket)! With English commentary translation. Includes unreleased songs.”

Review
    Now, how's this for a lark: Bobby "Chuckles" Fripp decided to give you, the consumer, a whole lotta bang for your buck. Rather than selling two EPs, he lowered costs and presented "God Save The Queen" and "Under Heavy Manners" on a single album. Brilliant economy, but what about the music? On one side, you're solely assaulted by the tape loop explorations that characterize the fine art of ambient Frippertronics. Brian Eno would be proud! On the other side, "applied Frippertronics" are used to cushion both rollicking rock rhythms and the -isms of David Byrne (Absalm el Habib).
    Consider this a conceptual prelude to 1984's Three of a Perfect Pair
    .”
    (progarchives)

Under Heavy Manners
    https://youtu.be/i_0BhfYmUjY

[​IMG]

Let the Power Fall [SHM-CD] / Robert Fripp
    “The final version of the Robert Fripp solo project following "Exposure" and "God Save the Queen" will be revived in remastered edition, Japanese edition paper jacket, SHM-CD format! Announced on the eve of the resurrection of Discipline Crimson A mysterious work that contains the essence of the Fripptronics performance! <Drive to 1981 (Fetal movement to 1981)> In "God Save the Queen / Under Heavy Manners" born from the project Following Robert Fripp, the third solo work! The work that had been made into a CD in the past but has been out of print for a long time is revived in the 2021 remastered version by David Singleton! Original release in 1981 This work was released in April of the year, just before Discipline Crimson started rehearsal from May of the following year. A work containing the best of Frippertronics performances extracted from the two years of Frippertronics performances with the activities of leading The League of Gentlemen. Due to the remastering, "1984 (single edit)", "1984 (mix 1)", and "1984 (mix 2)", which were not recorded in the original album, are additionally recorded! With English commentary translation.”

Review
    “Similar in style to Fripp's collaborations with Brian Eno ("No Pussyfooting" and "Evening Star"), but without the synthesizers, this album features long slowly building tracks made up of looped guitar riffs. Done before the days of digital delay lines, Fripp used Eno's trick of using two reel-to-reel tape recorders in tandem, and then called it Frippertronics. So, each track starts with a note or two, then that plays back a few seconds later, while Fripp plays another note on top of it, and so on. Soon there's a "melody" of sorts, with layers of guitar built up into a wall of sound. Some tracks are quieter and somewhat "soothing", and some louder and a bit abrasive. King Crimson fans will recognize the various guitar sounds that Fripp employed at the time this was recorded (between "Red" and "Discipline"). Imagine a King Crimson song that consists of a slow, multi-tracked Fripp guitar solo. If that idea appeals to you, check this out.”
    (progarchives)

Excerpt from '1984' by Robert Fripp, from the album "Let the Power Fall"
    https://youtu.be/ceb98-MoOZM

[​IMG]

Washington Square Church 1981 [SHM-CD] / Robert Fripp
    “Just before the start of 80's Crimson, the legendary Frippertronics performance revives! Frippertronics started from the introduction to the collaboration work with Brian Eno. The system that creates sound loops and drone sounds by making full use of two Revox tape recorders and various effectors became the prototype of the current soundscape. Frippertronics made great strides during the New York era in the late 70's, when he was free-spirited producers and session activities. 1981, when this work was recorded, was the time when King Crimson began to revive after receiving a revelatory inspiration at the end of the live activities of The League of Gentlemen. Robert Fripp, the total settlement of the New York era, overcame the equipment troubles inherent in analog equipment, and recorded the masterpiece performance of the time when it became possible to control flippertronics even at the live site. The Japanese edition uses the SHM-CD format to maximize the potential of the stereo CD master mixed by David Singleton from the original open reel tape. The sound recorded on the CD master is faithfully reproduced, from the scene that sounds faintly in the silence to the climax that shakes the large cathedral. DVD (audio only) discs with limited demand are cut and released as a single CD. An important sound source where you can experience the many discoveries that were born between the solo album "Exposure" and the 80's Crimson masterpiece "Discipline". Paper jacket / SHM-CD specifications. With English commentary translation.”

Review
    This is not Fripp’s best effort nor his most memorable, despite a fairly extensive promotional effort by Polydor and recognition from industry magazines like Rolling Stone and Trouser Press. The heavy dance theme and cheesy spoken-word discourses about modern music detract from Fripp’s decent guitar, although admittedly even that is sub-par compared to anything he’d done previously.
    As I recall the album did fairly well on the pop charts back in 1981, but I suspect mostly because younger fans bought it for its B52s-like danceability and the primitive art-looking cover (kind of like Trio’s first album or most of the punk albums that came out around the same time). The music itself was a disappointment.
    Basically, this is forty minutes or so of backbeat, a thudding and unimaginative bass line, dance riffs on organ delivered by Wilkinson, and Fripp’s rather out-of-place guitar work. This is really a poor and heavily commercial effort by a talented artist who should have known better, even in 1981. One star and not recommended
    .”
    (progarchives)

Dislocated
    https://youtu.be/ztQGoqxK7kw

Jagger69 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  23. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Bumping my old post. Again has anyone here listened to any of the most recent Universal mini LP albums of the Julie London catalog issued in 2021? There was a prior mini LP issue around 2007 but this inquiry is solely about the latest 2021 series. As noted some had complained about the sonics of the 2021 issues.

Jagger69 and toilet_doctor like this.
  24. It’s breakout versions from this glorious box. And if you have the box, you’re set, unless it’s for the collectibility aspect of the Japanese packaging, certainly not for SQ. Nice synopsis of the upcoming titles nevertheless, good Doctor.

Robert Fripp - Exposures

[​IMG]
    This limited edition box set contains 32 discs including DVDs (audio only) and Blu-ray. Packaged in a 12" boxed set with 48-page booklet including extensive notes by Sid Smith and Al Okada plus press releases, photos and memorabilia. This is the single largest set in the series released by DGM and one of the most comprehensive boxed sets devoted to a single period of an artist's career released to date. Features the complete collection of Robert Fripp's studio and live solo material from 1977-1983. Covers the period from the first Exposure sessions to the end of The League of Gentlemen and final Frippertronics concerts. Much of this material in the box has never before been released.

Jagger69, ispace and toilet_doctor like this.
  25. toilet_doctor

For the most part, these complaints are true. I have plans to do a detailed comparison of every 2021 Julie London album with previous releases to get to the bottom of this issue. (Meanwhile, I am far from being ready with my report...)
    However, there is something important that I can say right now: The previous Mini LP release was made with new remastering in 2010. I have compared several albums from 2010 with their 2021 counterparts and they sound absolutely identical, just 1:1 - they say it's the same mastering and printing on the same regular discs. So, if anyone thinks they are safe with 2010 release that sounds better than the new 2021 reissue, then they are wrong.

Jagger69 and Mr Bass like this.