Japanese "Golden Era" Direct-Drive Turntable Standouts

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundgarden, Aug 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundgarden

Soundgarden Forum Resident Thread Starter

And yes, if you have these dimensions I'd appreciate it.

2. Peter van de Beek

Peter van de Beek Forum Resident

Yeah, thanks. The UA7cf should have a lower natural own resonance, then the origonal metal wand. So it should handle more cartridges with ease. The rest is the same, So you van switch wands like you do with the SME headshell attachment.

It also still does a nice job with all the new MC's from AT. It keeps all the energy there. And the bearings are made from natural gem-stones. Almost no wearing and clearance.

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I had one of those on a Linn LP12 many years ago.

Peter van de Beek likes this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Needs a very massive plinth system for best performance, and must be in top mechanical condition. And will require periodic maintenance. This is better suited for me than for you. And parts hard to find now since the parts source had to change professions. He went from broadcaster to truck driver. And you'd likely want a different tonearm than that one. As you'd want anti-skating and the ability to track at lighter forces than what's commonly used in that arm. If I were near, I could teach you how to service and overhaul one, except for motor repair work.

Soundgarden likes this.
  5. Soundgarden

Just looking back on this comment now. This table is interesting. Without knowledge to the contrary, it's easy to assume that this would be a lesser table to the Kenwoods mentioned above with the higher numbers. Given how naming and numbering conventions often work. But it seems some folks love this table enough to make me wonder. Anyone out there agree or disagree? Curious.

6. Soundgarden

Question on this one. How can one best find information on motors? Specially the motor in this DD-8, but really in general. This seems like a pretty difficult thing to do on the Internet for many of the lesser known direct drives form Japan.

7. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

It is difficult to find stuff like that out. I suspect the motor is a Victor product as Victor (JVC) made a lot of DD motors for Micro Seiki as well as other company's like Yamaha's flagship model the GT2000.
    My advice is to look for a JVC QL-7 or a QL-A7 if you want auto lift and shut off. The QL-7 omits those features. I know I was floored the first time I played my QL-A7. I think the superb tonearm that is common to both of them is a lot of the reason along with that fabulous motor drive.

BillWojo

PooreBoy likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Yea, it's not too easy, there is some info at places like Micro Seiki DDX-1000 on thevintageknob.org . I originally saw the info on the DD-8 motor at diyaudio when doing some research, someone was looking to replace the motor on their DDX-1000 and found that, while not the same part number, the DD-8 motor fit and worked (JVC MC936B2). They are Victor motors, as Bill says, many were using JVC motors at that time. This is right before most of the Japanese tables went to coreless motors ... Micro Seiki DQX 1000 - motor - Page 2 - diyAudio

Soundgarden likes this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

OP, I am starting to wonder if you're looking to buy one, or reverse-engineer one and build your own?

Soundgarden likes this.
  10. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Can’t have a direct drive conversation and leave out the flying saucers....

[​IMG]

hi_watt, sturgus, Trabik and 2 others like this.
  11. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

@BKphoto, I have been talking about flying saucers but JVC ones. Here is a JVC QL-A7
    [​IMG]

BillWojo

12. Soundgarden

Well, not reverse-engineer one so much as understand the specific components, like maybe how to assemble a Franken DD-8? Which is sort of what I'm doing.

I've got a DD-8 plinth/platter/motor/basic electronics setup on the way. I plan to send it into my tech for an inspection, have whatever work is needed done, and re-veneer. I've got a MA-505 MkIII S-shape on the way too. Plus a DD-8 base plate that probably has to be modified (lots of local precision machine shops, if needed) to fit the MkIII. And a new reproduction dust-cover. I think that there's some risk that the motor doesn't work right given that it looks like that turntable has been parted out. So if that's the case, it helps to know what motor to look for. If they're even available at all anymore. I've never done this before with a turntable. So I'm not exactly sure what I've waded into.

And I also wonder whether a coreless motor, like from the DQX-1000 could be dropped in. I'm far more familiar with dropping motors into cars (!) so I have no clue whether it's possible. But if so, and if it is a better motor as some have suggested, that seems like fun too. I did say before, I don't like things to be easy. Sometimes giving yourself a challenge that has to be overcome is the best way to learn. As is getting advise from audiophiles with more experience. So thanks to all of you for the info. I imagine at some point I'll have something very interesting (or frustrating?) to report.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  13. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

that’s a sweet deck...

BillWojo likes this.
  14. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

The TT-101 is my daily driver, I really love it.

[​IMG]

BillWojo likes this.
  15. Davey

I think the DQX-1000 motor was very similar to the DDX-1000 motor but with more torque since they increased the platter mass. Neither were coreless. I don't know that any of the Micro Seiki tables used coreless motors, most of them were brought to market in the mid 70s before the move to coreless designs in the Japanese market, and Micro was concentrating more on their flagship RX series belt drive designs in the late 70s and 80s. They did provide a lot of turntable design work to other companies, and many of those tables used coreless motors, like the top Yamaha and Kenwood tables we've talked about above.

The main issue with changing motors in some of these tables is that a lot of the control electronics is external, so the motor drive and dynamics has to fit the design. I have been toying with the idea of using the Dual CS-701 EDS-1000 coreless motor on a Micro Seiki table, it is mostly self-contained with the controller board inside, but the CS-701 is getting hard to find nowadays since many have been parted for similar projects. There are still many of the CS-721 tables on the used market, it uses a lower torque version of the same motor, the EDS-1000-2, so not as desirable, but I like the idea of a low torque direct drive with a heavy platter, similar to the Bardo DD tables of today.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Soundgarden likes this.
  16. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Sony PS-8750

Sapphire arm bearing, oil filled mat, "antistatic lid", x-tal lock

Sony PS-8750 on thevintageknob.org

Have one myself, wish it lived a better life before it got to me. Heaviest table I've owned. Sound is incredible, makes my 1200mk2 look like a toy.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    LoveYourLife, BKphoto and Soundgarden like this.
  17. Soundgarden

I sorta figured that was the case. And is a good reason for me not to consider a motor switch before I know the table and parts and have a better sense of what I'm doing. I misread your post above above coreless, thinking you meant that that the DQX-1000 was coreless. I see my mistake now...

I did notice there's a junked DD-8Z on Ebay right now. For Basically $150 shipped. Just re-listed for zero bids last time. Has no platter or arm. But it does have motor, electronics, and seemingly everything else. I was thinking it might be worth picking up for spare parts, in case they're needed. But I don't know what the Z denotes. Only clear difference is the DD-Z is black! Any clue?

18. Soundgarden

That's a truly gorgeous table that I'd never heard of before! Wow. I see there's a PS-6750 that's perhaps close in quality and a PS-4750 that I'm guessing isn't as close. What are other PS-Sonys that might be close? This one seems exceedingly rare. Thanks for the contribution!

LoveYourLife likes this.
  19. Davey

The DD-8Z isn't much different beyond the color, but it does use the bigger dustcover like the DD-7/40 that rests on side mounted rubber-cushioned posts instead of directly on the plinth for better isolation. It also uses the standard version of the MA-505 tonearm with threaded shaft and nut to mount directly to plinth, along with DIN connector for phono cable, instead of the custom version of the arm with the added plate and RCA connectors on the standard DD-8. I don't know of any other differences, but there very well could be.

Soundgarden likes this.
  20. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

As far as I can recall, I think I've only ever owned three turntables in my life (not counting some Sears combo unit when I was a pre-teen).

I started with an AR-77XB belt drive (manual) (p. 49). Loved it. Have no idea why, but I traded it for a Phase Linear stereo power amp, and replaced it with a Yamaha P850 direct drive (full auto) (p. 56) that I still use.

I've also got a Pioneer PL-510A direct drive (manual) (p. 77) in storage that's awaiting a purpose in life.

I consider both those direct drive turntables to be "classics" - albeit likely not either known to or appreciated by most.

Jeff

Soundgarden likes this.
  21. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

The Micro Seiki DQX motor was quartz locked while the DDX was not. Neither used a coreless motor.

@Soundgarden, The motor casting is cracked on that DD-8Z, that supports the lower bearing so who knows how much internal damage is done. I wouldn't bother with it.
    If your bearing is in good shape on your motor about the only other things that can go bad is a few caps on the boards and adjustment pots. Have you had a service done on it yet?

BillWojo

22. SeaTac

SeaTac Active Member

I have a Denon DP-47F Turntable with Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge that I bought new decades ago. How does it rate today?

After all this time I have no idea if these are decent components’ but setting it up again has rekindled my interest in Vinyl. I've really enjoyed listening to my old record collections again now that I have a dedicated 2-channel setup and have been bitten by the bug. I found the original Shure case with alignment gauge and what looks like it could be an extra cartridge end.

I am now setting up a second 2-channel room with a VPI Prime turntable but want to see what I can get out of my Denon.

nosliw and Twinsfan007 like this.
  23. Soundgarden

I noticed that too on the DD-8Z. Yeah, I'm not interested in that. I'll just cross my fingers that the one I ordered is all right. It's still on its way. I'm going to take it straight to my local tech when it arrives.

As for the three MS tables that keep coming up, here's about all I can find (some of it from this post!)

DD-8 motor: JVC MC936B2
    DDX 1000 Motor JVC(?) M922C (from service manual)
    DQX 1000 motor: JVC MO936F

DDX 1000 has a 2kg platter, DD-8 a 2.6kg platter, and DQX 1000 a 2.9 kg platter. So I'm guessing the DDX motor would be underpowered on a DD-8 and the DQX motor perhaps slightly overpowered. And the DD-7 motor presumably much less power than the DD-8 (1.5kg platter).

But because Mo93gF is quartz drive, does that make it incompatible with a DD-8? The guy Davey mentioned from DIYAudio seems to have successfully put a DD-8 motor into the DQX, but perhaps it doesn't work the other way around.

Also, Davey, did I read correctly above that the DD-8 motor is the same as the *Pioneer* PLX-1000? I must be missing something there.

24. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I believe that the DP-47F was Denon's top of the line for automatic TT's during the 80's. It's a pretty decent TT that should hold up. If you want to make sure it's in top condition you'll want to have it serviced and recapped to be safe IMO. Great TT! :)

SeaTac and nosliw like this.
  25. MRL_Audio

MRL_Audio Forum Resident

Any thoughts on whether the Technics SL-M3 fits into this category. I know there are those that will shun this model since it's T4P but there are some outstanding cartridges in that category. Dynavector DV-10P and Technics 310MC are a couple of my higher end cartridges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.