J'arrive: The Jacques Brel Song-by-Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vagabone, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Kowalski

Kowalski Forum Resident

Je t'aime

A beautiful song, the poetic lyrics ,sung with enthusiasm and fervor.;)

zipp, spondres and Vagabone like this.
  2. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

Je me retiens!
    These are definitely some of the most obscure and difficult-to-unpack lyrics that Brel had written at this stage of his career. But if I were to summarise them in four words, it would be "Love is all around".

zipp and Vagabone like this.
  3. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Je t'aime

This is fantastic, very passionate but with a bit of restraint. It's sounds like the stirring grand finale of a play or movie. 5/5

Lance LaSalle, zipp and Vagabone like this.
  4. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Yes. I saw a similar discussion. We're not the only ones intrigued by this line.

How about:

For the raindrop like a finger on the harpsichord of the pool,
    Which plays to the moon's score, and resembles your singing,
    I love you

Vagabone and spondres like this.
  5. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

That's certainly neatly phrased. I don't quite understand how Brel can just leave out (une) page de (la) lune, but obviously he can!

zipp likes this.
  6. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident Thread Starter

D'oh!!! That should read "1959" of course.

While I'm here, advance warning for anyone who missed it earlier: tomorrow is "Ne me quitte pas" ("If You Go Away").

spondres likes this.
  7. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Je t'aime
    3.75 / 5

A completely straight love song, which has not quite the depth or originality of other songs on this album, but the poetry is sublime. The performance is also fantastic, I like those slightly overproduced climaxes in Brel's songs of this era.

zipp, spondres and Vagabone like this.
  8. Je t'aime

Ooo-er Jacques. Not heard that before, sounded a tad overheated and also reminded me of Les Biches.

2/5.

zipp, Vagabone and spondres like this.
  9. Vagabone

Our average rating for "Je t'aime" was 3.96
    Today's song is
    Ne me quitte pas
    (Don't Leave Me)
    (Also known as "If You Go Away")

Words by Jacques Brel
    Music by Jacques Brel and an uncredited Gérard Jouannest

Arranged by François Rauber
    Recorded on the 11th of September, 1959 at Studio Blanqui, Paris with François Rauber and his orchestra.
    Sylvette Allart: Ondes martinet (uncredited)

McLover, zipp and Lance LaSalle like this.
  10. Vagabone

The song was first recorded by Simone Langlois in January 1959, also with Rauber, not the first time she got to sing a Brel song before its author.
    Simone Langlois version

The reason Jouannest (who was to become Brel's most frequent songwriting partner) did not receive a writing credit for this song is that he was not yet a member of Sacem (Société des auteurs, compositeurs et éditeurs de musique) which I presume is the organisation responsible for collecting distrubuting royalties.

Suzanne Gabriello, Brel's on and off mistress from 1955-59, believed this song was written about her.

Part of the melody is said to echo the start of the second movement of Franz Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6

This initial Brel version, as well as appearing on the album, appeared on the La valse à mille temps EP, and as the B side of the "Les Flamandes" single (Unless that was a double A side https://www.discogs.com/master/7267...-Son-Orchestre-Les-Flamandes-Ne-Me-Quitte-Pas).

It finally got a spotlight appearance as the lead track of another EP, in December 1960, a year after its first release.

A possible reason it was not initially used as a lead EP track is that Brel initially intended for the Simone Langlois version to be the hit version.

In 1999 a CSA Institute survey in France found that 31% of those polled considered "Ne me quitte pas " the greatest song of the twentieth century. It has topped or been near the top of various other "France's Favourite Songs" polls.

Brel was thought to have had mixed feelings about the song. I recall someone (perhaps his daughter France) saying he hated to expose himself as being at the mercy of a woman in this way. Brel himself asserted much later that the song wasn't a love song, but a song about the cowardice of men.

zipp and spondres like this.
  11. Vagabone

It was rerecorded in Dutch under the title "Laat me niet alleen" during sessions in Brussels on the 12th, 13th and 14th April 1961.

The translation was by Ernst van Altena.

This was released in Belgium and the Netherlands in 1961.

spondres likes this.
  12. Vagabone

TV appearance (TopPop, 1961):

spondres likes this.
  13. Vagabone

It also appeared on the 1961 Live album

It was rerecorded in 1972 for the rerecordings album (often itself retitled Ne me quitte pas). We'll discuss that version separately when we get to it.

Brel personally sang it in the film version of Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris (the song did not feature in the original stage show). I'll post that version when we discuss the 1970s version.

spondres likes this.
  14. Vagabone

It is Brel's most performed and recorded song. Among those who have recorded the song in its original language are Nina Simone, Marlene Dietrich, Nana Mouskouri, Alison Moyet, Juiette Gréco, Sandie Shaw, Céline Dion, Natacha Atlas, Johnny Hallyday, Barbara, Ute Lemper, Sting, Belinda Carlisle, Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean, Angélique Kidjo, Maysa Matarazzo, and Mireille Mathieu.

It was one of many Brel songs adapted into English by the prolific American poet/singer/songwriter/composer Rod McKuen, as "If You Go Away", in 1966. (McKuen's other most famous Brel adaptation was the earlier "Seasons in the Sun", ("Le moribond")).

Among the artists who have recorded it in its "If You Go Away" guise are Frank Sinatra, Shirley Bassey, Al Martino, Dusty Springfield, Ray Charles, Bobby Goldsboro, Tom Jones, Glen Campbell, Scott Walker, Brenda Lee, Neil Diamond, Madonna, Terry Jacks, Marc Almond, Damita Jo, Sheena Easton, Cyndi Lauper, Barbara Striesand, Matt Monro, Emilíana Torrini, Julio Inglesias, and Jack Jones.

Of his English lyric, McKuen observed that he retained the line "shadow of your dog", but every single other version of "If You Go Away" except Sinatra's, opted for "shadow of your shadow" instead. The English language wikipedia page for "If You Go Away" unfairly complains that it does not include the dog motif. (Of course, both "shadow of your dog" AND "shadow of your shadow" are used in the French lyric). McKuen also sings the original title "ne me quitte pas" several times in his versions.

Momus recorded a somewhat more faithful English version of his own called "Don't Leave".

It has of course been adapted into many other languages.

Apologies if I failed to mention your favourite version.

zipp and spondres like this.
  15. Vagabone

Lyrics/paroles

Ne me quitte pas
    Il faut oublier
    Tout peut s'oublier
    Qui s'enfuit déjà
    Oublier le temps
    Des malentendus
    Et le temps perdu
    À savoir comment
    Oublier ces heures
    Qui tuaient parfois
    À coups de pourquoi
    Le cœur du bonheur
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas

Moi, je t'offrirai
    Des perles de pluie
    Venues de pays
    Où il ne pleut pas
    Je creuserai la terre
    Jusqu'après ma mort
    Pour couvrir ton corps
    D'or et de lumière
    Je ferai un domaine
    Où l'amour sera roi
    Où l'amour sera loi
    Où tu seras reine
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas

Je t'inventerai
    Des mots insensés
    Que tu comprendras
    Je te parlerai
    De ces amants-là
    Qui ont vu deux fois
    Leurs cœurs s'embraser
    Je te raconterai
    L'histoire de ce roi
    Mort de n'avoir pas
    Pu te rencontrer
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas

On a vu souvent
    Rejaillir le feu
    De l'ancien volcan
    Qu'on croyait trop vieux
    Il est, paraît-il
    Des terres brûlées
    Donnant plus de blé
    Qu'un meilleur avril
    Et quand vient le soir
    Pour qu'un ciel flamboie
    Le rouge et le noir
    Ne s'épousent-ils pas?
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas

Je ne vais plus pleurer
    Je ne vais plus parler
    Je me cacherai là
    À te regarder
    Danser et sourire
    Et à t'écouter
    Chanter et puis rire
    Laisse-moi devenir
    L'ombre de ton ombre
    L'ombre de ta main
    L'ombre de ton chien
    Mais
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas
    Ne me quitte pas

English paraphrase (thanks as always to spondres)

Don't leave me.
    It must be forgotten,
    Everything that can be forgotten,
    All that has already flown.
    Forget the times where we misunderstood each other,
    And the hours lost
    Learning how to forget these hours
    That can strike with blows of "why"
    At the heart of happiness.
    Don't leave me.

I'll give you raindrops
    From a country where it never rains
    I'll dig up the earth
    Even after I die
    To cover your body
    In gold and light.
    I'll create a kingdom
    Where love will be king,
    Where love will be the law
    And you will be queen.
    Don't leave me

Don't leave me.
    I'll invent for you
    Nonsense words
    That you'll understand
    I'll tell you of those lovers
    Who saw their hearts come aflame anew.
    I'll tell you the story of this king,
    Who died of not being able to meet you.
    Don't leave me.

We have often seen dormant volcanoes erupt again into flame when we thought them too old.
    There are, it seems, burnt lands that produce more corn than the most fertile April.
    And when the night comes, when the skies are aflame, do they not wed, the red and the black? Don't leave me.

Don't leave me.
    I won't cry any more.
    I won't talk any more.
    I'll hide myself over there
    And watch you dance and smile
    And sing and laugh.
    Let me become the shadow of your shadow,
    The shadow of your hand,
    The shadow of your dog.
    Don't leave me.

spondres likes this.
  16. Vagabone

Out of the hundreds of cover versions, I have selected just three to post, that I think are hard to ignore.
    Simone:

dlemaudit and spondres like this.
  17. Vagabone

Sinatra:

spondres likes this.
  18. Vagabone

Springfield:

That's all the covers I intend to post today.

spondres likes this.
  19. Vagabone

Ne me quitte pas

I do believe this is one of the greatest songs ever written, and the original Brel studio recording one of the greatest recordings. The depth of feeling, the vulnerability, the anguish in the vocal, The beauty and imaginativeness of the lyrics and the melody. The eerieness of the sound. The Dutch version is also great, though if I had to choose I'd still stick with the French version. The 1961 live version is also wonderful but lacks that otherworldly ondes martinet.

Of the covers, the first two versions I ever heard witll always mean a lot to me: Dusty Springfield and Nina Simone, two of my favourite singers. I find McKuen's lyrics feeble in comparison to Brel's, but if I wasn't comparing them to anything else, I'd like them well enough.

5/5 (just a formality, of course. Actually I may soon be wearing out the "5" key on my keyboard.)

McLover, zipp and spondres like this.
  20. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

Ne me quitte pas
    Absolutely one of the greatest French-language songs of all time, if not the greatest. The original version is musical perfection, from the evocative opening moments with tinkly piano and the best ondes martenot ever onwards. Later the sparse backing is delicately augmented with some understated strings and elegiac woodwind (clarinet? oboe?).
    A propos of cover versions: the Terry Jacks rendition of 'If You Go Away', hot on the heels of his number one hit with 'Seasons in the Sun', reached number 8 in the UK singles charts in 1974.
    5/5 (obvs)

zipp, Lance LaSalle and Vagabone like this.
  21. Parc Fermé

Parc Fermé Forum Resident

Ne me quitte pas

- First performance :
    First performed live by Brel on 5 November 1958 at Théâtre Bobino, Paris. Written shortly before that together with Jouannest soon after the pianist replaced Rauber "on the road".

- B-side :
    The controversial, masochistic text initially causes a mild panic at Philips. Canetti explicitly warned Brel to temper his optimism about this song: "The ladies will gloat and laugh at you."
    Edith Piaf agreed when she heard the song in a live performance. According to her, "a man is not allowed to sing something soft/weak like that" [! different times; ed].
    Canetti and Piaf initially got their way as Philips put the song on the B-side of the La Valse à Mille Temps EP and Les Flamandes single, while giving both those titles preference on the album cover too.
    When Brel's kneel before a woman conquered the French-speaking world, the error was corrected by Philips and Ne Me Quitte Pas was released again, now as an A-side on an EP.
    [Extract from René Segher's biography]

- ondes-Martenot :
    As mentioned earlier in this thread it is unclear who's playing the ondes-Martenot: Jeanine de Waleyne or Sylvette Allart. I myself said it was probably Allart (see analysis somewhere earlier in this thread), however I have since learned that Allart played the ondes-Martenot during Brel's live performances while it may have been de Waleyne after all who played on the studio recording. Apologies.

Personally (and I may be in a minority here :cool:), I regard the ondes-Martenot as a fad, and while it produces an eerie sound indeed, I think it is very much of it's time and dated now (like early 70's Minimoogs/synthesizers and grated drums in the 80's). Therefore, I prefer the 1972 remake of Ne Me Quitte Pas musically, and the original 1959 version vocally because of Brel's innocent and vulnerable performance (and less dramatic than the 1972 version).

- Covers :
    Nina Simone's cover is indeed one of the best, emotionally at least as her French is cringeworthy. For the same reason, being Dutch myself, I don't like Brel's Dutch version (of this and the other songs he did). The translated lyrics are great, but his pronunciation is mediocre at best, emphasising the wrong (parts of) words etc. Clearly he hardly ever spoke Flemish or Dutch normally.

Finally, I'd like to mention Marlene Dietrich's cover in German (Bitte geh nicht fort). Another great one, imho.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  22. Parc Fermé

Parc Fermé Forum Resident

Marlene Dietrich's cover of Ne Me Quitte Pas in German (Bitte geh nicht fort)

Andreas, spondres and Vagabone like this.
  23. Vagabone

Thanks for the information as always.

Parc Fermé and spondres like this.
  24. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Je T'aime. Very romantic, but a bit over the top for my liking. Magnificent performance, though. 3.4/5

Ne me quitte pas: 5/5

Monumental. It goes full-bore into malancholy emotionalism. Gorgous lyrics, by the melody just kills me. It's so good. And I think it definitely has a lot of Brellian melodic signatures.

25. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Ne me quitte pas

Best cover version?

Dusty, obviously.

But no version is better than the original.

10/10

Don't leave me.

It must be forgotten. Everything can be forgotten,
    Everything that's already slipping away.
    Forget the times of misunderstanding and the lost time learning how to forget those hours
    That could kill with too many "whys" the heart of happiness.

I'll give you a raindrop necklace from countries where it never rains
    I'll dig up the earth even beyond death to cover your body in gold and light.
    I'll create a kingdom where love will be king, where love will be the law
    And you will be queen

I'll invent for you meaningless words that you'll understand
    I'll tell you of those lovers who saw their hearts come aflame anew.
    I'll tell you the story of this king who died of not being able to meet you.

We have often seen dormant volcanoes erupt again into flame when we thought them too old.
    There are, it seems, burnt lands that produce more wheat than the most fertile April.
    And when evening comes, for the skies to be ablaze, do they not wed, the red and the black?

I won't cry any more. I won't talk any more. I'll hide myself over there
    Watching you dance and smile. Listening to you sing and laugh.
    Let me become the shadow of your shadow, the shadow of your hand, the shadow of your dog.

Don't leave me.

Parc Fermé and Vagabone like this.