Jason Reitman directing new original-universe "Ghostbusters" movie set for 2020 release

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 15, 2019.

1. It’s sad when the funniest person in an all female cast of Ghostbusters is Thor. A man.

JediJones, ampmods and Vidiot like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Firmly disagree. "GB16" was an entertaining little flick with lots of laughs.

I think Paul Feig is money in the bank. His movies vary in quality somewhat but all of his "Bridesmaids" to date flicks have been good - and he created "Freaks and Geeks", which gets him street cred essentially forever.

I have waaay more faith in Feig as a filmmaker than I do Jason Reitman. As discussed earlier, he's been very inconsistent and hasn't made a good movie since 2009.

I hope "GB20" will be fun, but I don't have a lot of optimism. If it's half as funny as the Feig film, I'll be happy...

3. Oatsdad

Yeah, I knew that - and John Candy was originally cast as the Moranis character.

Candy could've been fine as Louis, but I agree that it's tough to see Belushi as Venkman - clearly he would've been played in a very different way in that version.

Murray completely made that character his own. I remember when I got the Criterion laserdisc in 1991, it included the screenplay.

Most of the dialogue was the same when I compared final film to script - except Venkman's lines. It felt line 90% of his dialogue was made up by Murray! :D

Vidiot and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

And there is no way Eddie Murphy at that point could have or would have played that small a role.

905 likes this.
  5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Winston would have been in the movie from the beginning if Eddie Murphy was cast. I think it ended up working better than it would have with Belushi and Murphy.

longdist01 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

and the tv ads will be 90 percent bill murray

Flippikat and Vidiot like this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Can't agree with that. I really enjoyed both Young Adult and Tully. Haven't been able to see The Front Runner yet, and I have no interest in Labor Day.

I don't know whether this new GB will work or not, but I think Reitman is an interesting enough choice.

JediJones likes this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

He had just done Best Defense. He wasn't a huge star until Beverly Hills Cop, which came out right around Ghostbusters, didn't it?

JediJones likes this.
  9. the pope ondine

labor of love's are usually very hit and miss. im not optimistic but who knows

nah, he was a huge star, he got paid big bucks for a couple weeks work on best defense trying to salvage it, eddie disavowed it right away nd it didn't really taint his career...(I think harem nights would tho)

10. Oatsdad

Never saw "YA". "Front Runner" was oddly dull and toothless, and I thought "Tully" had potential but ended up as a mis-cast mess.

"Labor Day" was just awful from top to bottom!

Obviously others' mileage will vary, but I'm sticking with my belief that JR made 2 good movies and that's it. The rest are erratic to bad.

I dearly hope he makes a good film with "GB20", but this track record fails to inspire confidence - especially because none of his films seems to show him as a fit for the "GB" universe.

If his dad didn't direct the 1st one, there's no way he'd be involved...

11. Oatsdad

"BHC" came out late 1984 vs. "GB" in mid-1984.

"Best Defense" barely counts as an "Eddie Murphy movie". From Wiki:

"As originally filmed, the film did not feature Eddie Murphy's character, and was solely a Dudley Moore film.[3] The film's preview screenings were received poorly, and the studio suggested filming a role for Eddie Murphy, who was at the peak of his popularity. Murphy's part was almost unconnected with the rest of the film and his character never even came into contact with the main cast."

"GB" was shot after "48 Hours" and "Trading Places" made EM a big star. Yes, he'd become a bigger star with "BHC", but he was already knocking on the "A-list" door before "BHC"...

12. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I watched Ghostbusters 2016 & enjoyed it because I suspend reality when watching films & I accepted & enjoyed it as a film not related to the original two. Since the characters are now established, I would not have a problem with a sequel being done with the female cast.

As for "Ghostbusters 3", If they can get Bill, Dan & Rick signed on, they can have them made up to look much older in the beginning & living at a retirement home. A time shifting ghost character can show up with a "We're not done with you yet!" & it sweeps over them to put them back to their real age & in their suits. The story can continue from there. My opinion.

13. the pope ondine

it was a debacle, eddie was trying to make comedy of nothing and the Dudley part was actually not bad but it was so choppy with the eddie stuff mixed in nothing worked...the adorable kate capshaw was in it....she was the flavor of the month for a while in the early 80's dreamscape, Indiana jones etc

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm in.

JediJones likes this.
  15. Houston_Music_Fan

Houston_Music_Fan Forum Resident

Why do some people seem to think Hudson wouldn't be in it? He's game. He was in the 2016 reboot and I saw him not too long ago in Kevin Smith's Comic Book Men. I don't think he'd turn down a major motion picture, especially a sequel to his most well known work.

For the record, I'm in. Jason Reitman deserves a chance. He's obviously a good filmmaker, his dad said he cried when he heard his son's story idea, and he might be the one to get Murray back on board. Let's do it. The only real head scratcher is why this took 30 years. The all female reboot was a gimmick and Murray/Aykroyd have stalled a legit sequel for too long.

JediJones and hellion like this.
  16. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I think it would be good idea to only have 1 Ghostbusters movie... the first tone. The 2nd one was terrible. The remake wasn't awful... just maybe unnecessary.

The novelty of the first movie will never return. The whole idea of people exterminating ghosts in a cynical early 80s New York was a fresh concept and completely bonkers. The cast was perfect and made the whole thing click perfectly.

Generally I don't think any quirky movie from the 80s was able to retain it's freshness after the first film. Certainly not Back to the Future, Fletch, Beverly Hills Cop, etc., etc.

17. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I can’t comment on GB 2016 as I refuse to watch it, but I’m looking forward to this one with trepidation.

18. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Harold can still be in the movie as a ghost.

19. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Will some feminists start a social media backlash against it on the grounds that it raped their mid-10s:D?

JediJones likes this.
  20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

21. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

I know a guy working on the film in Calgary, he’s building the pyramids and statues, apparently they are are using A lot of non cgi stuff, which to my mind bodes well for the movie

22. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

This is a great idea - what will Hollywood think of next ?

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Good points. I think if you remove the knock on effect of the charm that the first one gives Part II and look at as a standalone movie, it really isn't that great and certainly not much better than the remake, which was on ok movie.

It'll be interesting to see if this Part III does better than the remake. It kind of has to really, or there will be some egg on some faces. lol

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  24. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Maybe they'll come across the ghostly witch that tells them how she put a spell on the city to make everyone act dumb because they killed her son (the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man). Before she finishes her story, she abruptly blurts out "well, forget all that!" (like forget about the GB2). Lol! My opinion.

JediJones likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

JediJones, FVDnz and 5th-beatle like this.