Jazz at the Pawnshop - what's the big deal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 4_everyman, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

If you're going to get a Winston Ma recording, I would recommend River of Sorrow over Jazz at the Pawnshop. Both have excellent sound, really reference quality. But there is more authenticity to the RoS music, if traditional Chinese instruments are of interest.

2. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

This is the recording u get to show off, or to sell your system/component. Otherwise. Non essential.

3. sgb

sgb Senior Member

A man in Italy paid over $200 in an eBay auction for my perfect, original pre-Audio Resource foulups copy, and that was more than 10 years ago. Seeing as I had a spare copy, I was willing to let it go.

4. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

You can check it out on Spotify. General view is great recording but not an essential jazz album. I bought the vinyl and enjoy it as a reference.

G Mann likes this.
  5. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Nice recording, nice music. Kind of sounds like they swallowed those old rca double lp sets of benny goodman small group records just before though, that's not a bad thing!
    Later I think I'll listen to some live late Goodman and see how it stands up...

6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Agree, except that Goodman was too much of a showman at times.

7. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

I downloaded the 2xHD remaster out of curiosity - the music is a death bore. As for the sound, I really don't get the hype. Maybe because the music is so unremarkable and there are so much ambient noises, one gets tempted (or rather pushed out of despair) to hunt for claps, clicks, voices, squeaks, cutlery, farts, sneezes etc. The audiophiles are such a sad crowd.

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I just found the single-LP version, released by ATR in Germany in 1980. It was $12 and I couldn't resist buying it, if only to see what the fuss is all about.

The performances are competent and enjoyable, if unremarkable, but the recording is indeed outstanding. It's worth the $12 to have for a reference recording.

4_everyman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.