Jazz: Band Camp recommendations.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony Cruse, Dec 23, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc Thread Starter

Using the excellent app, Band Camp, lets recommend some good jazz music. These bands usually get little exposure.

I’ll start. Jewish jazz that will have you tapping your feet...
    Warriors, by Zion80

Over to you...

2. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

3. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

4. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

5. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc Thread Starter

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

7. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Seconded for Cuneiform Records. Also, anything on the Firehouse 12 Records and Pi Recordings labels. Automatic buys for me.

A lot of the new wave of British jazz are also on Bandcamp. Shabaka Hutchings, Maisha, Binker & Moses, We Out Here (compilation), and the like are all on Bandcamp. Its not all to my tastes, but they are all very popular so don't take my word for it.

Dave Douglas, William Parker, David S. Ware and some other outstanding artists are very well represented on Bandcamp. Do some listening and find out what you like.

8. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

10. BobFan115

BobFan115 Forum Resident

11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

12. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

15. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I've been enjoying Bandcamp a lot this year. I've used it both to buy physical media and digital downloads.

I'll recommend a couple of relatively recent records that I think are only available digitally (after limited edition LPs sold out):

The New American Songbooks Vol. 1
    by Greg Saunier, Mary Halvorson, Ron Miles

Roadwork 1 / Roadwork 2 / Homework 1 (3CD Box Set)
    by Marker

The first is an excellent set of covers that run the gamut of (original version) genres. Great band and part of Mary Halvorson's huge winning streak of great records.

The second has three live sets from a terrific Ken Vandermark band. I like when KV plays tunes (as opposed to the total improvisation he's been focused on for a while), and this fits the bill. Groovy stuff. I'm still absorbing this one.

On a non-jazz tip, my favorite rock band, The Hold Steady, has been releasing "official bootlegs" on a pay-what-you-want basis, as well as some recent non-album singles. I've been picking them as they are released. Great way to stay connected to a band that hasn't put out a new full album in a while. And I even went to the released Chicago shows, so it's been fun to re-live them.

jay.dee likes this.
  16. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

By the way, I think the two I recommended above are both still on a sale through Catalytic Sound.

Catalytic Sound

The code is "holiday20" when you check out on Bandcamp for 20% off.

jay.dee likes this.
  17. Khoff

Khoff Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Incredible one mic recording, normally only available as a Hi-res flac download but Carmen is selling redbook CD's via her Don't You Cry, by Carmen Gomes site.
    Superb audio quality and perfect for speaker placement as it is a completely phase coherent recording.

18. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.