JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I can’t disagree that this stuff has gotten very expensive. As I near retirement, I won’t be buying much in the way of high quality audio anymore. But, on a level playing field, I do think the new L100 classics are more than competitive at their price point. Also, I didn’t pay list so that helped a bit.

I have a speaker “problem” (That’s what my wife calls it). I buy too many because I like switching them around to enjoy their different sound qualities. But when the time comes to thin the herd when we downsize our home for good, the JBLs are staying. These may end up being my final pair if I have to get rid of all but one pair. I like them that much.....

2. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Too funny. Mine told me the same thing. :)

Eigenvector likes this.
  3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

5. Fruff76

My problem is I can’t stop talking about the JBL’s to the wife. They get mentioned at least 4-5 times a day.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ha. That does sound like a problem!
    Are you handling the eye rolling ok?
    :)

Bill and Mazzy like this.
  7. Fruff76

Well...lucky for me she loves them!

chacha likes this.
  8. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I heard these at the Tampa Audio Fest on 2/9. The orange grills pulled me into the room. I don't remember what was powering them but my cousin's comment hit home with me. We listened to them for about five minutes and headed for the next room. Once we were in the hallway he looked at me and said, "I don't remember them sounding that good back in the mid 70's"...…. I told him that I agreed. They seemed to punch way above their weight...…. I wish I knew what equipment they used with them.
    I auditioned them back in '75 or '76 and walked away disappointed.

displayname and Fruff76 like this.
  9. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I used to sell both back in the day.
    Well, I confess that since I have not actually heard the new ones, so if their only similarity to the old ones is the name, then all bets are off. :)

Eigenvector and Fruff76 like this.
  10. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

The original L100's.

Eigenvector likes this.
  11. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

So, what are the differences? And how are the new ones compared with those?

12. Fruff76

I can’t compare, but I can say the new ones will blow your mind. I have tidal, and everything I listen to is just amazing with the new ones.

LitHum05 likes this.
  13. Vinyl is final

Both were overpriced for my taste, but I liked the Pioneer because of the technology. The JBL's were old tech. They were really GOOD old tech, but still old tech.

I'm trying to get beyond the biases those attitudes brought to the table in their day (it was a LONG time ago). Here's the thing: I seem to remember that, though the JBL's were old tech, I think they may still have been the better sounding speaker, but the Pioneers gave them a run for their money. But to be clear, I'm talking about the bass response. IIRC, the JBL's "seemed" to have less bass than a lot of speakers, but what was really going on was that they were not boomy. And the Pioneers seemed to have more bass but were slightly boomier.

Thanks to computer tech, speaker design has come a long way, so both of those just don't have the quality of bass that a modern well made speaker could have. Heck, even the DIY designs available all over the web should beat them handily. This is why I would love to have either, but pair them up with a good subwoofer and roll off their bass in the 75-100 hz range.

Please, keep in mind, this is all from memory and mostly derived from conscious decisions I made about the two speakers at the time. I'd love to have either today. One is an industry icon and the other is a flashy representative of the new school. It's almost like Cars 3. The JBL is Lightning McQueen and the Pioneer is Jackson Storm. :)

LitHum05 likes this.
  14. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

If you heard them at a show there is a 99% chance it was either Arcam or Mark Levinson powering them. Harman tries very hard to make sure Harman speakers are only demoed with Harman sources.

Fruff76 likes this.
  15. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

The HPM-100 were heavily discounted and available mail order. The L100 could only be purchased through JBL dealers usually at full retail price. L100 were $333 each in 1976. HPM-100 were only $400 something a pair. Definitely compared to the L100. I went for the L166 wish I would have purchased a pair Cornwalls.

16. Vinyl is final

Where I worked we did sell both brands and a/b compared them all the time. And you are right about full price. In fact, this is kinda funny:

Back in those days the manufacturer could still "legally" force you to sell their stuff at a given price. List price really meant, "that's the price you'll pay". But here's the funny part - after totaling up the price of those items, (receiver, turntable and speakers) I would see a profit margin of, say, 8% on most systems I sold. But when we added in a discwasher (which we would usually take five bucks off) a cartridge (usually a Shure M95ED) and other peripherals, those items had so much markup that we'd be looking at a final profit margin of around 15%.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like that. We were selling items for $10-$50 that had a cost as little as $1 to $5. It really helped the commission...

17. LitHum05

Jackson storm is way cooler. So I suppose I have the right ones. But the grills on McQueen! My oh my. Nothing to do with sound quality, of course.

18. Vinyl is final

HAHAHA! The fact you mentioned the grill the way you did tells me you and I pretty much agree on all aspects here. :D

19. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Yes, I remember that price enforcement on certain brands that could only be sold at list price. JBL was one of those brands. I think the term or the wording manufacturers had for this practice was “Fair Trade”, as in saying JBL Century 100s were “fair traded” and were only legally sold at list price. I have always enjoyed the irony of a one-sided, enforced practice on trade/economic behaviors being labeled as “fair” anything.

I don’t know if this wording was actually derived from the legal statute or just common parlance. But it was understood. Moot issue for me because I was in high school at the time and couldn’t have afforded L100s anyway.

20. Vinyl is final

I do know that it eventually became illegal for manufacturers to set the price. In fact, I think it was at the time but there was some sort of loophole they were trying to exploit, IIRC.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I will take a good pair of JBL 4311B (what the JBL L 100 was a domestic home version of so equally applies) over those most likely. JBL also built their own loudspeaker drivers, invested many thousands of times over in acoustical and electrical research than Onkyo could ever afford to do so. JBL for many years played in the cinema field, recording studios, broadcast, and PA fields, as well as home loudspeakers. JBL has a track record and known for success in their field. Not dissing Onkyo here, but stating facts. And also be mindful the company's changed hands twice in not many years. Which may not bode well for investing this much cash outlay into. JBL specialized in speakers. Companies who specialize tend to make what they specialize in better, as their expertise is aimed at doing one thing well. Onkyo specialized in few if anything. If I was going to spend $5000 on a Japanese loudspeaker, my money would be invested in TAD, a company who has a track record in making speakers. Their drivers are among the best in the world. While JBL today under Samsung isn't what they were earlier, JBL's best have stood the test of time. And have been supported for many years, if you needed anything.

Fruff76 likes this.
  22. Fruff76

If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area and wants to hear them, reach out. I’d be glad to demo them. These things are amazing. 6 hours listening this evening so far.

Eigenvector and LitHum05 like this.
  23. LitHum05

That’s mighty generous. Wish you were in DC.

Fruff76 likes this.
  24. Fruff76

25. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I scoffed at the price/value ratio of the Technics SL1200 reissue, and now I am scoffing at the same for these "new" JBL L100s.

I had to eat my words regarding the SL1200..

Shawn and Fruff76 like this.