JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

Blue covers for reference. I like both the orange/blue in-room.

[​IMG]CLASSIC BLUE by , on Flickr

Uglyversal, Shawn, Jtycho and 7 others like this.
  2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I also have both. Harman sent the blue ones to me since I made the fan site etc.

Monty12, SunSon and Eigenvector like this.
  3. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

care to name one other commercial speakers, using a 12" bass drivers, that are cheaper then the L100?

i totally dont follow the idea that those speakers are overpriced.

4. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

"I totally don't follow the idea that those speakers are overpriced"

They're not. That simple. I've had many (or equal at best) worse for more money.

Most recently, I had some ATC SCM19V2s. They were great for a monitor in many respects, but please...Like Tyson vs. Arguello or Chacon.

I was told the B-stock at MD are simply Harman (not MD) show models that are perfect in every way, shape, and form. Now that's a phenomenal deal.

Even for those who need to know where a person's piccolo resides, not bad. Not for me, but these do actually have a good measure of detail given they're known as a SoCal rock speaker in-voice.

I'm waiting to find a listening experience I dislike, it could be a while.

The reports within this forum can be confirmed as essentially true; a speaker for the ages and a great value.

5. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member Thread Starter

Vintage 70s advertising.

[​IMG]

6. Fruff76

I managed to snag an original manual, tags and a catalog for these on eBay.

Monsieur Gadbois and Eigenvector like this.
  7. Raphael Deangelico

Raphael Deangelico Music player; Music lover!

I remember them well from the time when I was in college as an undergrad. At least, I think I do! Those and the Large Advents. I have a feeling, given my predilection for brain chemical altering substances at the time, the new L-100s and restored Advents would never sound the same as I remember them!

clhboa and Bill like this.
  8. krambigmac

krambigmac Forum Resident

I've gone through this entire thread and I have absolutely fallen in love with these. I'm wondering where I can get the best deal with the steel stands (no issue with vibrations?), even if they are B-Stock/used

The orange is so cool but I guess I can buy the orange cover on MusicDirect if I get a good enough deal on a different pair.

Monty12, Fruff76 and SunSon like this.
  9. Fruff76

They’re pretty amazing speakers.

Monty12 likes this.
  10. Fruff76

I have the steel stands and I don’t have any vibration issues. The best price I’ve seen so far is the B stock at Music Direct.

Monty12 likes this.
  11. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

L100 owners, what amps are you using? I've gotten the green light from the wife for these puppies in my living room, so i need ideas.

I use the Jc5 to power my Jbl 4367 in the basement...there is no way i will get another green light for an amp of that size in the living room. No chance.

Right now I have a Bluesound Powernode 2i in the room that L100 will go. Anyone using the Powernode 2i with them?

Thanks

12. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Using a Marantz PM 8006 to great effect myself.

Monty12 likes this.
  13. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

I will check that amp out right now. Thanks. Have you used any other amps with the L100s?

I like how it has a 3 band eq. And i do like its size. Because of the cabinet restrictions, i cant go taller than that. About 5.7 inches to allow for proper ventilation. Thanks will read up on it more

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  14. Fruff76

I use an old Adcom GFA 555 with excellent results. I paid around $450 for it.

Monty12 likes this.
  15. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

300 watts per channel at 4ohms. Wow, they must make those puppies sing.
    Have you tried any other amps with the L100?

Fruff76 likes this.
  16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Using a Luxman 505

Monty12 likes this.
  17. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I’m currently using a Yamaha A-S2100 to drive mine. I tried a few vintage receivers from Pioneer and Yamaha as well as integrated amps from Rotel and Pioneer as well. The A-S2100 was my favorite of what I have around here so that’s what I’ve been using for the past year or so.

Frankly, the L100 Classics sounded good no matter what I drove them with. They are resolving enough to easily show me the differences in each amp I tried.

Shawn, Monty12, Fruff76 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Fruff76

I tried them with my NAD integrated M3, and like Eingenvector says, no matter what you drive these things with, they will sound great. My L100’s with a 30 year old $450 would probably beat out a blind listening test with a lot of super expensive gear.

Eigenvector likes this.
  19. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

That amp is a beauty

20. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

I do have the As Series on my short list. The silver models make my mouth water.

Eigenvector likes this.
  21. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

Yeah its an interesting set of amps people are using. I know the Darko youtube reviewer used the mytek brooklyn amp with them and seemed happy.
    And if i remember correctly, Andrew Robinson from youtube gave them a glowing review and used a crown amp with them.

You might be right, lots of different amps making owners of the L100s quite happy.

Fruff76 likes this.
  22. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I could have bought an original pair at a yard sale for 125.00 for the pair. Unfortunately, at that time I had so many different pairs of speakers I just couldn't justify buying another nor did I have the space to store them in.

23. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

I use a Cambridge Audio CXA 60. I have no idea what a better amp would improve. I need to test this sometime.
    For my apartment I think it's more than enough power.

Fruff76 and Monty12 like this.
  24. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

Nice amp. I have always been a fan of their gear.

Fruff76 and tagomago like this.
  25. krambigmac

krambigmac Forum Resident

I called up Music Direct and they were great. They had a B-Stock pair in black and an open box orange grille. I was able to swap so I could get the pair in orange at the $3K price. I can't wait until they and the stands arrive. The best speakers I've ever owned are my Wharfedale Denton 80ths (I guess I have a thing for retro) but since my wife likes those in the living room, I can get a pair for the basement and I anticipate this will be a big step up. Next up, a matching orange shag rug.

Monty12, Fruff76, SunSon and 2 others like this.