JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I was rather excited that these showed up a day earlier than expected. I can't wait to get them properly broke-in to really hear them sing. Though, even straight out of a cold delivery truck, all is well.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. aunitedlemon

These L82's do not suck, even with only 16 hours of playing thus far. I was looking for more mid-band presence and more cohesion between my previous speaker's drivers and my 12" sub and I definitely stepped in the right direction. My Denton's 5" drivers required meticulous sub tuning to keep it balanced, and even still there was a bit of a disjointed nature between them. There were moments of excellent harmony but the "sweet spot" was narrow. It's already apparent that the 8" driver of the L82's and my 12" sub blend with much greater ease. The mid-bass from the L82's is wholesome, slightly forward, and it just makes the music in my house ever more captivating. I can only imagine greater symmetry as the L82's loosen up with break-in. The highs presently cut a touch sharp, but I'm hoping the tweeters will soften with time (or my ears will acclimate to what they present). If not, there's always the high freq attenuator. All in all, I can't imagine these L82's not becoming a very welcome staple of my listening experience.
    Oh, and thanks, Fruf76, for letting us L82 fans ride on your L100 thread coattails!
    Cheers!

Alright4now, Fruff76, Mad Dog and 4 others like this.
  3. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Sidebar: I have had a little less than ideal bass management/control from my 20 year old multi-channel pre-pro and while my OPPO effectively manages bass it has no path to .1 when the unit is used as a DAC for usb B connection. At any rate, to improve bass blending, I bought a Parasound P6 Preamplifier/DAC which has .1 output, as well as non-stepped low pass and high pass filters; thus, I now have ideal bass management between JBL L100t3's and JBL B380 sub. So, if you are not getting the bass management you want, you might want to look into a P6. It also will get you a black as coal background at high volume and detail at low volume.

4. onemug

onemug Forum Resident

I've had my L100's for 4 months now and enjoy them more each day. I'd say I'm pretty much passed the 'Honeymoon' phase.

I know nostalgia was tugging on me but I was hoping they would sound 'almost' as good as what my best has been (Apogee Duetta Sig/Maggie 3.6/Legacy Focus SE)... I'm more than satisfied.

I've been driving them with either a Pass XA30.5 or Marantz 8b favoring the Pass but now, after many hours from new, I like both. The preamp was a tweaked Audio Research LS-7 that was a spare laying around but this system was taking center stage so often, and knowing what a good preamp can do for a system, I thought it deserved a better preamp and bought a Luxman CL38uC. Result... the wow factor has gone way up.

jusbe, LitHum05, Fruff76 and 2 others like this.
  5. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

They look fantastic, but I'm sweating just thinking about the curious little fingers and general potential for disaster in this photo! Lol!

Monty12 and Alright4now like this.
  6. aunitedlemon

Right? Besides the potential for child-induced damage, our labrador's tail is almost right at woofer height, and that is a brutal instrument to receive a whack from! Hold steady, precious ear-candy.

The Killer Piglet and jwoverho like this.
  7. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Glad you like them! The tweeter will smooth out and the bass will fill out a little after around 150 hours, I would suggest you try toeing the speakers in a little and make sure you have some rake on them.

I am still enjoying my L82's, the best speakers I have ever owned, and that is from a hardcore Harbeth owner!

jusbe and Fruff76 like this.
  8. aunitedlemon

I do have them toed-in a bit. Rake is at about 4.5 degrees. The JBL stands are a 7 degree tilt but I figured that since my hearth is taller than the stands I don't need as much rake to keep myself in the proper range. My understanding is that with these speakers there is a healthy listening window below the tweeter, just not above it. I'm impressed with how much wider my "sweet spot" is with these so far. I tested having the tweeters outboard last night and, while it did widen the image, I prefer the more focused sound of them inboard.

9. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Yes, with such a gap between your speakers inboard would work better.

The L82's love a good quality amp also, they really sing with 150w+!

Keep us posted on your future impressions.

10. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I’m glad you got them. They’ll improve even more once they loosen up a bit. I’m still not out of the honeymoon phase and I’ve had mine for a few years. My good friend just picked up a pair of L100’s based on the fact I love them so much. I’m looking forward to hearing the 82’s at some point.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  11. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

12. Fruff76

?

LitHum05 likes this.
  13. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

You know you want them Fruff!

[​IMG]

14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have mine in my office however that system doesn’t get used much anymore. Thinking of getting a second pair and moving them into my quad room replacing the 3.7 Maggies surround system. Think it might be interesting using them in a surround setup.

Fruff76 and clhboa like this.
  15. Fruff76

I had a few minutes of crisis where I thought I’d have to get them. Then I realized there’s no way I can get that much money by may so I’m going to see if Chris can mail me a paper autograph and I’ll tape it on.

16. Fruff76

I’d bet money they’d win blind testing against most things you’d put up against them. I have to save for a pair of L82’s for my living room. I won’t even consider another brand after my experience with the L100’s.

aunitedlemon and Monty12 like this.
  17. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Drooling... I'd still want the orange grilles..lol

Monsieur Gadbois, Mazzy and Fruff76 like this.
  18. Fruff76

This new crop of JBL’s has made me realize that a lot of attention is dedicated to Bougie niche brands that sound no better, and in my opinion, not even close to being as good.

19. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What amp drives them? Do you have any comparing experience with similarly spec'd 4307 or 4312G? Would a Yamaha 2100/2200 be a good match for any of the mentioned JBL's (L82, 4307, 4312G)?

Monty12 and jwoverho like this.
  20. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Same question as I have the 2100. Also, would the JBL’s need a larger room or would they be alright in a 12x12 space? I’m running Wharfedale Denton 80th’s now.

Monty12 likes this.
  21. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

I’m about to have a shoot-out with my L100 Classics, and perhaps the Bougie-est of them all, Harbeth.

I HAVE to know if the C7ES-3 XD can compete.

I had my eye on the Harbeths when I got my L100s, and a shop has made the comparison relatively easy, logistically.

Why bother? The aesthetic factor, and it’s really the only other speaker consideration for me given all factors;
    Component compatibility, musical tastes (NO jazz), and room placement restrictions...and of course a slim chance in Beloit (Wisconsin’s Hell) of winning.

Fruff76 likes this.
  22. Saint Johnny

Unfamiliar with the popcorn icon? LOL

Having never owned ANY L100's, vintage or otherwise. I'm really interested in what others have to say about them..

Ergo, watching and reading this thread! But to lazy initially to write that.

23. Fruff76

Oh, I thought that was
    Oh, I thought that was reserved for something controversial.

LitHum05 and Saint Johnny like this.
  24. Saint Johnny

Nah...No controversy (take it Prince....LOL)

Just a shortcut to subscribing. On other forums I'm on the popcorn icon = "lurker". LOL

Fruff76 likes this.
  25. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

I have no experience with L100's, but I got a pair of L82' in to try from my local dealer last year and within a week my old Harbeth 30.2 XD's were up for sale, that is how good the JBL's are!

Saint Johnny and Fruff76 like this.