JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

"My impression is quite the opposite. Model 5 has much better build quality, Veneer quality on on another level comparing to JBL. Love the looks on JBL a little better. Both sound great".

Veneer better than the 75th Anniversary Editions? ABSOLUTELY NO WAY. Or...we have very differing tastes.

I had both the L82 and L100 (normal) editions, and ultimately dumped them because I didn't care for the looks enough to keep them. I went to Harbeths, but I didn't enjoy the listening experience as much as JBL. The 75ths were an absolute no-brainer. I really think the 75ths are an outstanding combination of sound and beauty.

[​IMG]JBL 75 03 by ,

Alright4now, Tullman, Tom_N and 4 others like this.
  2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

My L100’s are in a dedicated room that I sort of designed around them. The sound is so dialed in that I never think of changing them for anything else. If I were to have them in my general living space, I would get the 75th

3. Tom_N

Tom_N Active Member

Most people are judging the veneer from internet images, as you know you really have to see them in real life to appreciate them.

Just Outlaw likes this.
  4. Tom_N

Tom_N Active Member

I would love to see a picture of your room.

As the 'Fan Club President' aren't you obligated to buy a pair of 75's?

Fruff76 likes this.
  5. Tom_N

Tom_N Active Member

Lovely setup, what amps are you using?

clhboa, pscreed and Fruff76 like this.
  6. Fruff76

I thought that too, but it just wasn’t in the cards :winkgrin:. Putting pictures on here is kind of a pain but if you join my Facebook group ill post some on there.

Tom_N likes this.
  7. Tom_N

Tom_N Active Member

I do not use Facebook, thanks anyway.

FalseMetal666 and Fruff76 like this.
  8. Fruff76

I only have it for my fan club pages. Otherwise, I don’t use it for friending or socializing. I’ll take some pics and try to put them on here

Tom_N likes this.
  9. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

McIntosh C46 & MC252… had them from new, they seem to like the JBLs!

Tom_N and Fruff76 like this.
  10. Just Outlaw

Just Outlaw Well-Known Member

Had them side by side, and touching both with hand felt much better with KLH as JBL felt Like thin plastic. But ok, perhaps taste differences.

11. Fredtones

Fredtones drumtones

:yikes:

12. Fruff76

Worth every penny and then some.

Tom_N and Eigenvector like this.
  13. Fredtones

Fredtones drumtones

A well made DIY speaker at half the money would out perform most off the self speakers.

14. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

They key here is "well made". It's silly to assert that anyone can DIY a speaker together that will challenge a speaker manufacturer with seven decades of experience and resources.

15. Fruff76

I highly doubt I'm going to put together a speaker just as good as Chris Hagen and a team of engineers could put together at a world class testing facility. Don't forget, they also share ideas and resources with the Revel crew.

Tom_N, Eigenvector and aunitedlemon like this.
  16. Fredtones

Fredtones drumtones

Hey bud don't forget the markups $£ :righton::righton:
    Yes Chris Hagan is great, but most speakers are made to a pricepoint & the super expensive one's are a rip off; diminishing returns...

17. Fruff76

I'm not forgetting markups, it's just I don't personally know anyone who can design a better sounding speaker. If it were so easy, I would not have gone through so many pairs of speakers over the past 30 years trying to find ones that worked for me. I feel that these are at the appropriate price point and I have no desire to go any higher up the chain. As for the super expensive ones, I agree to a certain extent. I've yet to hear any that made me want to dump my L100's and spend my lifetime savings on them.

Tom_N likes this.
  18. Fredtones

Fredtones drumtones

I didn't say design; there are kits available; so you pay for the design & DIY it. Pi, Falcon for example. I would add that JBL do some of the best drivers.

19. Tom_N

Tom_N Active Member

Nice, JBL's love power I will be running my 75's with a 250w amp.

pscreed and Fruff76 like this.
  20. Fruff76

I use a 200W Adcom GFA 555. I know it's old etc. but man does it sound awesome.

Eigenvector and pscreed like this.
  21. Tom_N

Tom_N Active Member

Why are you on this thread? I am sure there is a DIY thread around here that would benefit from your wisdom.

22. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Yes, a real gem. Many moons ago this was a very popular amp among those in the know at my local audio store. To keep a business growing or to keep interest in your product growing, there’s a lot pressure to bring out the latest greatest. Just the way it works. As a result, some real gems, like your Adcom, can be forgotten over time.

Fruff76 likes this.
  23. onemug

onemug Forum Resident

Coming up on 2 yrs with my L100 Classics. I think they are exceptional speakers, really enjoy listening to them.

I have 3 amps that I rotate using to drive them: a Bedini 45/45 and a Pass XA30.5 (ss), and a VAC tube amp (pp KT88)... all sound great, hard to pick a fave. Pressed, I'd say the VAC tube amp as my fave.

A year later I bought the L82's for my home office. Another hit. They both are such a pleasure to listen to.

Monsieur Gadbois and Fruff76 like this.
  24. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member Thread Starter

It doesn't cost $4k to hear them, it's free. :yikes:

And if you don't like them or think a pair of DIY or <$2k speakers are better, walk away.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    Fruff76 likes this.
  25. Fredtones

Fredtones drumtones

Why are making useless comments, instead of discussing audio. That is the purpose here.