Jeff Beck: Still on the Run-BBC4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tried to find a thread that posted info on upcoming BBC Four shows as sure one exists?
    Anyway a new Jeff Beck documentary is aired for the first time tomorrow . Not to be missed!

2. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Crimson Witch, Rufus rag and bhazen like this.
  3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

There is a thread in the Visual Arts forum but kinda lost out there.

I am looking forward to this doc, made by same guy who’s involved in the Classic Albums episodes (which I like). Hoping the content is well balanced between his personal life and music (some deep dives on specific albums would be nice).

DVD/Bluray is available for preorder:

https://www.amazon.com/Still-Run-Jeff-Story-Blu-ray/dp/B07BF248HC

Crimson Witch and Rufus rag like this.
  4. crossroads69

5. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Indeed! Wonder if the bluray documentary is extended apart from the live bonus cuts mentioned?

6. crossroads69

Just finished watching the documentary - a bit talking heads heavy but did an OK job of covering his musical career. It’s always hard for these documentaries to cram 50 years of musical stories into 90 minute or 2 hour feature. Perhaps the DVD/Bluray will be bit longer than the BBC cut.

Jeff is such an extra-ordinary talent, truly no one less out there like him!

Crimson Witch and Jim Duckworth like this.
  7. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Watched this last night. I love how Jeff is so laid back and down to earth. He really is one of a kind. There was some really kind words said about him. Great to see a man in his twilight years still searching for something new.

Tuco, Crimson Witch, gd0 and 2 others like this.
  8. observerstation

observerstation Forum Resident

Great documentary about someone I know little about, knew he was the yardbirds guitarist and he did hiho silver lining, but his catalogue and collaborations are immense!...and the fact that he was at the birth of Stevie Wonders 'Supersticion' was impressive.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  9. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

I agree.

I watched it last night and thought it was excellent. So much so I must see if I can get a copy.

Looking forward to seeing him in Liverpool.

Richard

Crimson Witch and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  10. crossroads69

For those who missed it or want a repeat viewing, it’s now available on BBC iPlayer for next 29 days.

I just checked the DVD/Bluray listing for this, seems like its same length as the BBC version with no extra footage or features added. The only bonus feature are 5 live tracks from Montreux 2007. It would’ve been nice to do a mini-featurette of Jeff talking about his favorite guitars, another showing us his favorite cars, etc.

Crimson Witch and marmalade166 like this.
  11. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Enjoy! I saw him live about 3 years ago and he was superb!

12. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi Forum Resident

Repeated tonight at midnight on BBC4

13. AndyP19

AndyP19 Forum Resident

Excellent programme.

Great quote from Dave Gilmour 'Believe me I've tried it' and as Jan Hammer says 'totally unique'.

Jeff had so many opportunities to make it big - Woodstock, BBA, Peter Grant as manager but he made it through and retained his credibility doing it his way.

Jimmy Page as always comes across as the perfect gentleman and Jeff as such a nice bloke.

14. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I only watched it up to the end of the first Jeff Beck Group and really enjoyed what I saw

15. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Amazing that Rod Stewart and Jeff both feel that them not doing Woodstock was a good thing. Most would give anything to have got on to that bill.

hi_watt and Crimson Witch like this.
  16. AndyP19

AndyP19 Forum Resident

Yes that was an amazing revelation. I love the bit were they said we got up in the morning and Jeff had gone.

17. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

really enjoyed it, so what do I start with Cd wise I never really have listened to Jeff Beck ??

18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Excellent documentary, and career retrospective. Some nice cameos from the likes of Clapton, Jimmy Page, Rod Stewart, Dave Gilmour and Jan Hammer. Some nice little stories too e.g. about Woodstock and Stevie Wonder's Superstition. Well worth watching if you get the chance.

19. crossroads69

Truth if you want the blues rock era.

Blow By Blow if you want to get into his instrumental side.

20. Maidenpriest

Is there a good career spanning compilation ?

21. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I would get Beck-ola, the orange album & Wired to start with then work from there.

There was a compilation I saw a few years back, might've been 3 discs & called 'Beckology' or something.

Crimson Witch and Maidenpriest like this.
  22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Highlight albums from different eras: Roger the Engineer (Yardbirds), Truth, Rough and Ready, Blow by Blow, Who Else.

Live+ is a good representation of what he currently sounds like in concert.

Beck-ology is a 3-disc set, which I would rate as "just OK." Get the albums.

See him live if you can. Will tour Europe in the near future.

23. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

My suggestion would be to get the Ronnie Scott’s dvd. It features mostly tracks from his post blues period but it showcases his guitar talent at its best. And his band with Jason Rebello on keys and Vinnie Colaiuta on drums and Tal Wilkenfeld is ace. She actually almost upstages Jeff (with his blessing) with her bassolo on Cause We Ended As Lovers.

Tuco, Crimson Witch and crossroads69 like this.
  24. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

As a Beck fan who has not yet seen t, I'm surprised that BBA was presented as an opportunity for success.

To me, BBA sounded like an opportunity for embarrassment that was (unfortunately) fully achieved!

25. Maidenpriest

I got that some time ago its the only thing I have (and the Les Paul thing) of Jeff Beck's, I am looking for Cd's to do a career compilation the problem is I don't know what his true greatest tracks are and I don't have time to listen (and buy) his whole catalogue but want a 'two disc best of' to get started with and to have his greatest stuff I am happy to do this comp myself if anyone can give me a good tracklisting/buying list ? :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.