Jeff Lynne's ELO - From Out Of Nowhere

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BillWX, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I like the line "Why don't we disappear way out into the blue?"

ShardEnder likes this.
  2. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Yes it is indeed the case for almost all albums, period, regardless of whether they are established. There are very few albums (beyond holiday albums) which surge after their initial release but did you see the posts I quoted? It was claimed that ELO charted so much higher in the UK due to promotion and that the album would climb in the US when Lynne promoted it more in the US (I stated that was very unlikely to be the case).

The impressive UK run is a result of their genuine superstar status in the UK which is why they can play a stadium like Wembley in the UK but not in the US. We also see this reflected in the difference in their US/UK chart positions since Zoom in 2001. It's a reflection of both general conditions (rock overall) and specific conditions (ELO is more beloved in the UK and has undergone a sort of 'Beatle-ification' or 'Queen-ification').

3. simon1966

simon1966 Well Known Senior.

In the UK it is going back up again.

4. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

It's up just a few spots in the UK from the previous week which is entirely normal in the 18-25 range. What would be very abnormal would be for an album to chart #47 as this one did in the US and then to jump to the very top which is what we had been discussing, right?

5. simon1966

We were discussing it, I seem to remember, you or somebody else saying, that those lower chart placings were not so bad in the US, while the UK aims for the top, US is happy over a longer period of sales?

6. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

I said that the lower chart position in the US reflects the relatively weaker position of rock in the US in general as well as ELO specifically. It's highly unlikely that any amount of ELO publicity in the US would change that to any significant degree at this point (unfortunately).

Having said that, the band can still play arenas in the US which is quite a feat considering how old the band is and that only a mere handful of current hip hop or EDM artists can come anywhere near that.

melstapler likes this.
  7. As was the case with Time, it wouldn't surprise me if Jeff reluctantly* agrees to go on the road in support of the new album if sales don't meet projected sales figures in certain regions. However, it's safe to say that he's definitely in more of a position to call the shots now than he was almost 40 years ago, plus there are other ways he could keep the ELO name relevant. Despite not being all that active since 1982, it really is amazing just how many people are still prepared to see this group live on both sides of the pond, which proves that their music endures long after such relative blips as the ill-fated Zoom Tour or Part II/The Orchestra supposedly diluting the overall brand.

*For all we know, he might already have plans for a spring/summer tour in the pipeline for next year. Who am I to say?

melstapler, lawrev and rontoon like this.
  8. simon1966

He probably made more money touring than he did, making records in the 1970s all that merchandise sales. The big three labels, haven't helped, with expensive inferior product. UMG proved, it doesn't respect their artist or archive, hopefully out of the ashes, Sony and WMG will now look after their archives and artist better.

The charts in the US seem to be full of Post - rap, dance and Country music, that is a strange hybrid of all sorts that isn't country as we remember it from 1970s and before. I like the current country music, the problem is that it lacks proper focus and definition, compared with before. Now you wonder, is it a power ballad, or is it folk music or is even country?

Anyway, dragging it back to JL, it would be good if he did some country music, he has tried it on a few albums, FTM could be as close as he got to it. There are various tracks, that go back to Idle Race with that style.

But, I do agree with you.

Fusionfan likes this.
  9. Jeff going country... I always thought that Send It could have worked in this genre, if only he'd backed away from the techno-heavy production.

melstapler likes this.
  10. simon1966

That was more Rockabilly, than country. I like that sound.

11. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I can see rockabilly, as that is probably closer to the Wilburys and Dave Edmunds sound - minus the tech heavy production and instruments. Jeff could write along the lines of that Wilburys tune on Vol. 1 that sounds rockabilly - like.

Of course, I always liked what ELO did with Great Balls of Fire on the Long Beach album, though I don't think Jeff could pull those vocals off now.

12. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I think Jeff is quite content on making UK his primary music home at this stage in his career (despite living in Los Angeles). Touring the states for 20 gigs is fine for him I think or maybe he could cut it back.

But he really should consider doing OTTB in its entirety in Las Vegas for a brief residency.... Vegas is well known for being a fine place for extraterrestial beings (as Dhani Harrison said in inducting ELO into the HOF). :)

croquetlawns and Mike burgess like this.
  13. simon1966

As I said, Rockabilly is something JL has used a few times across the years, not a lot. I think he could still pull those vocals off, but only in the studio. I think it would be a stretch too far Live.

14. simon1966

It would be too much for him and the band, they would have to learn all those other 12 songs and get it right. He would do better dusting off those shorter songs, like, Poorboy, KOTU, etc,etc and recording a live album full of that sort of material, rather than the usual hits, that have been played to death.

15. simon1966

Too much expensive vinyl, might be denting the sales, but he knows where the money is, it's in the touring and merchandising that will make more money than the album by selling £35 or $50 T-Shirts, posters etc via touring. At those prices he will be onto a winner. Although, he might become a UK tax exile after next week, and decide to stay on other side of the puddle.

16. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I think Jeff and his backing band are entirely capable of learning the entire Out of the Blue album. Yes, it is work, and maybe it would be good for that to do that. Music artists always expand their horizons.

Mike burgess likes this.
  17. simon1966

I think JL said they can play over a 100 plus songs (100-140?) now. I agree with you, I just think some of the other material from 1973 albums and some of the less well know but great tracks need to be dusted off, from throughout the albums. The many other hits would be great. Some Idle Race, thrown in would be great.

Darren Richardson and Retropsych like this.
  18. Retropsych

Retropsych Excessive Lynne Orchestrations

Some Move would be great too.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  19. simon1966

I was going to mention The Move, there would be a little bit less than the Idle Race, if we include 'Lookin' On' & 'Message From The Country' that JL wrote across the whole output, when he was with both bands. There's just so much that he could perform, that would open up to a whole new audience.

'WHAT' and 'Words of Aaron' are stand out tracks. 'Down On The Bay' an early rock tune, that was the B-Side of 'Chinatown'. The Idle Race 'Weatherman Know' etc and similar, all quality songs, that have been lost to a generation.

You realise how varied and brilliant he has been and that only include 1968-1973, then it all changed and got bigger.

Darren Richardson and Retropsych like this.
  20. Retropsych

Retropsych Excessive Lynne Orchestrations

They most certainly are..

simon1966 likes this.
  21. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

22. Take note, America... THAT is how you promote a legacy act!

(Also, am I the only one who hears the solo in Time Of Our Life as a further evolution of the melody Jeff used for the verses on Across The Border and The Way Life's Meant To Be? I've previously spoken of how these new songs already feel so warm and familiar, but I'm starting to really appreciate how often Jeff relies on repetition - or at least calling back, as he more literally does with the Telephone Line reference - as a device to achieve this effect.)

melstapler likes this.
  23. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Sorry, SE...that's not "America" at fault...that's Jeff's management and promotion staff making those decisions...

lawrev and TrekkiELO like this.
  24. I was referring to how Jeff is promoted in the US, but I guess it doesn't help that ELO has always been more relatively popular on this side of the pond, not to mention that going so all-out with advertising across America is surely far more costly and unlikely to result in similar sales. If anything, I suspect his latest album might perform better there if he was to hit the road again in support of it, and even then, it's likely to be a slow burner with little chance of topping the charts. Then again, that's not exactly the worst strategy. Going slow and steady can just as easily win a race, yes?

rontoon likes this.
  25. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Not in complete disagreement with you...however, it's kinda rare anymore for legacy acts to have a strong impact on the charts here in the US...they might show longevity, if they've got something special, but to hit the top 10 or so? Highly unlikely...not saying it's right or wrong...just the way it is around here...just ask Bruce or the Beach Boys or Billy Joel, etc....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.