Jeff Lynne's ELO - From Out Of Nowhere

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BillWX, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

OK

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Idle Race / Message from the Country / ELO I / Eldorado / Out of the Blue / Discovery / Time / Balance of Power / Armchair Theater.

There is significant movement in style and presentation across that trajectory.

I like/love them all.

Changing style isn't the problem. It's the weakness of the material and/or how it has been arranged/recorded since then that is a problem for me. And you'll note this has nothing to do with 1981.

FireBrigade, Comet01 and Chazzbo13 like this.
  3. simon1966

simon1966 Well Known Senior.

It is only a problem for a small section of fans. I can take any era of his writing. Some dislike the early ELO Prog sound. Some like that era, but dislike anything after OOTB while some might suggest that SM was really unacceptable, Xanadu was the early signs. It just depends what you like. I can only say what I prefer, same goes for your view. The point is that we all have different taste/

The technology side of it makes thing easier and a little less human, it could be suggested. While many of us found WIWAB highly emotional, because we all had our radios, not much money and that's how it was in the 1970s for me.

The latest track takes some of us beyond that, to late sixties, early seventies feel of that AM/MW UK radio experience of perhaps Radio 1 or Radio London, even Capital Radio. It's just a very simple tune and sound, yet it is more catchy then WIWAB and maybe, JL was listening to this style and sound on his radio When he was a boy? It's a sort of imagined sound from that period as you remember it.

Some of his early vocals, on for example Message From The Country, were a challenge, yet by the time 'What' appeared he had developed that warmer vocal sound. By the time OTTD arrived some of his vocals were hard work.

'TIME' and BOP had a lot of pitch altering effects added to vocal. When SM arrived he was doing more of the talkie type vocals on 'Loser Gone Wild'

AITU had more precise delivery of vocals, you can hear JL really pronounce every word, especially on WOB,

So, he has changed and changed back and forth many times over the years.

4. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Where does someone go to join the Obsessive Complainer Club, and how much are dues? Will it sell holiday calendars? Does it have a Facebook page? :)

5. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

But you weren't talking about later works in that particular post, only Press to Play, Spike by Elvis Costello and Flaming Pie, all before Linda McCartney had died!

6. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Jeff wasn't just 'squeezed out' of Flaming Pie, he was sent to the delete box. Not long after the album came out I bought a copy of the documentary 'In the World Tonight'. I'd seen it on TV and remember particularly liking the jam session with Paul, Ringo and Jeff. But guess what, when I played the DVD, that whole scene had been removed, 'squeezed out', deleted. As a fan of Jeff Lynne I was seriously not impressed.

croquetlawns and simon1966 like this.
  7. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

I hope you took it in good humour

simon1966 and Comet01 like this.
  8. simon1966

Of course, we need a little bit of a laugh.

Michaelpeth likes this.
  9. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Now these are "'Deluxe' Editions"!

Face Value (Deluxe Edition)(2CD)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014S08PM2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No Jacket Required (Deluxe Edition) (2CD)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6MO0P0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:cool:

Darren Richardson likes this.
  10. simon1966

11. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Same here, along with Hello, I Must Be Going!

Well, Phil Collins is Not Dead Yet, just thought it was interesting that he had second discs of bonus tracks for all his Take a Look at Now album remasters from 2016, that's all.

:)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  12. simon1966

Indeed.

Some of his material is UMG and some is Warner Music Group.. I bought the double vinyl, with all the Hits. The first three albums were perhaps the best? The single duets he did, were always popular. You can't go wrong with Phil.

13. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Yeah, the first three by Phil Collins are his best, ...But Seriously was around 50% good, I bought The Singles 3-CD deluxe edition from 2016 that's similar to Strange Magic: The Best of Electric Light Orchestra from 1995 because they're both in chronological order, have album tracks not single versions and...

"a big jewel case, like those that multi-CD sets would come in until the early 90s. Nowadays they have become a rare sight. The three CDs are safe there."
    Genesis News Com [it]: Phil Collins - The Singles - Review

14. simon1966

That 3 CD set is good. He has released loads of albums over past 15 years, covers etc, hits and solo. As I said, you can't fault him. He looks very unwell, yet keeps going.

15. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Wow, pretty steep price ($30+) for a single LP with 10 songs...is Gene Simmons involved with this release at all? :shh:

RTZ, Kiss73, Comet01 and 1 other person like this.
  16. simon1966

Way to pricey for vinyl and even CDs.

17. BryanS

BryanS Forum Resident

Absolutely correct about the pricing.
    Normal Audio CD for ~£10 is fair enough ; Normal Vinyl for ~£18 is also fine (Amazon.co.uk prices)
    but the jump in price to so-called delux editions with the same number of songs (£40 for vinyl) is totally off the wall.

Do we have any clarity yet as to whether there will be 10 or 11 songs? It's only 3 weeks to release day and it all seems a bit vague to say the least.

18. We're still no closer to a definitive answer on this one... From what I'd seen of early listings, the deluxe edition was expected to contain 12 tracks, yet the official announcement only mentions 10, yet a few sites give 11 and even name the additional song. My guess is that there was a lot of very last minute reshuffling of this album's contents, because the leaked tracklist (based on an "internal use only" promo CDR) was slightly different, not to mention I was previously told to expect the first single early in September as opposed to at the opposite end of the month. Also, wasn't the album's original release window being teased as happening in October rather than November?

lawrev and omikron like this.
  19. BryanS

BryanS Forum Resident

Yeah - it would be interesting to know what is really going on behind the scenes. So little detail from Jeff's camp!
    Still, it's so good to be getting new music from my musical hero at this stage of his career.

20. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

When this album is released, I will await the reasoned analysis from the folks on this board before I buy it. This will be the first Jeff Lynne/Jeff Lynne's ELO/ELO album that I do not purchase on its release day.

21. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I thought that one comes to this website.

smilin ed and croquetlawns like this.
  22. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

One person's obsessive complaining is another person's deep thoughts based on historical context. :)

Comet01, LSP2003 and croquetlawns like this.
  23. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Is it confirmed that Songbird is the Fleetwood Mac song or is it a new composition from Jeff?

24. I'd be very surprised if Songbird ends up being a cover - especially that one, as Jeff usually keeps the few of those he's attempted for release under his own name. Then again, a certain rare exception to this rule has closed virtually every ELO show since its appearance on the band's second album nearly 50 years ago, so it's hard to be sure until we're able to find out... (For once, I'm genuinely in the dark.)

FACE OF BOE and lawrev like this.
  25. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

And as I'd pointed out right after that reply, "Songbird" could have also been the similarly titled #25 hit song by Barbra Streisand from her 1978 album Songbird.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.