Jefferson Airplane mono "Surrealistic Pillow" coming to SACD from MFSL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RevUp64, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This has been mentioned elsewhere but deserves its own thread:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-314665...umbered-limited-edition-hybrid-mono-sacd.aspx

"Mastered from the original master tapes, this hybrid SACD grants Surrealistic Pillow audiophile-grade sound remarkable for its sense of balance, clarity, and tonality. While fans have always preferred the original mono version of the LP, it went out of print soon after its release, causing prices to soar.

Offering greater information retrieval and superior pacing, this numbered limited-edition disc gives listeners the chance to enjoy Jefferson Airplane's blockbuster set in faithful-to-the-original mono without having to pay a premium. Along with immersive detail and dynamics, the level of instrumental and vocal separation allows the sensory-altering songs' complexities to emerge with full-bloom color and renewed perspective. Mobile Fidelity puts the surrealism back into Surrealistic Pillow."

vonwegen, Tuco, Joshua277456 and 2 others like this.
  2. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Thanks, i will preorder this. One of the best albums of the 60s.

3. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

would have been nice to include stereo too, theres room.

oopap, dalem5467, seed_drill and 12 others like this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, missed opportunity! I'll probably get it. . . though I think a higher priority is a good lp version.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

6. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I love MoFi in general, but, given the crappy recording (bad room [RCA], non-rock producer, etc.) I'd be shocked if this album, no matter how tinkered with, will ever approach "audiophile-grade sound". :shake:

Playhard2, gingerly, George P and 5 others like this.
  7. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

It's that old thing about having to pay two sets of royalty fees, which would either scuttle the project of make the SACD prohibitively expensive.

oopap and bluesbro like this.
  8. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Agree. The album sounds better in mono than stereo but still sounds pretty lousy. Making it SACD will only give higher resolution to bad sound. I'll stick with my stereo/mono CD.

9. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Typical ad-copy hyperbole. While I'm sure it won't be "audiophile grade" it should still smoke any mastering of the stereo version by a wide margin.

Say It Right and Lonson like this.
  10. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

If it is only a slight improvement from existing versions, it is worth it to me.

chacha and RevUp64 like this.
  11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

All complete digital mono versions have been processed with NR. And even the two mono singles on Bob Irwin's reissue were compromised by limiting and bad EQ. I doubt MFSL wasn't interested in stereo, but I don't mind the sacrifice because I never the play the stereo version anyway. I'm totally down for this.

12. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There is a 10% discount code that works for both of these. I just ordered using it. No free shipping for preorders so the discount helps.

A MFSL mono Baxter's would make me absolutely giddy.

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

But it's not unheard of . . .

[​IMG]

14. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I'm in. Won't miss the stereo mix at all.

Joshua277456 likes this.
  15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

16. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

Horrible noise reduction and a poor tape transfer on that one. This will surely be an improvement in those respects, despite the limitations of the recording.

eelkiller likes this.
  17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Actually DOUBLE quadblocked: by MFSL and the dreaded Culture Factory.

Steve: can you get your hands on Worst Of before these bozos lay waste to that one, also?

jsayers and GetHappy!! like this.
  18. I've been wondering why this album hadn't hit SACD yet...

19. Wait. Are you saying there's already a release of the full album in mono? Or are you talking about the Irwin bonus tracks?

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

There was an RCA cd that had both stereo and mono version thereon.

21. Had no idea. Thanks.

22. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Wow, no idea the gold mono/stereo was worth that much, since it's been universally panned here. But it is the only place to get the mono on CD (so far). I should unload mine...

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Wow, a new forum catch phrase ;), any particular reason why the 2 labels can't do the same release such as the AF & Mofi Glass Houses and 52nd Street by Billy Joel? Beach Boys SACDs on APO and Universal Japan?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Don't waste your money, I own it and I play the original CD when I want to hear the album.

jsayers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.