Jefferson Airplane Takes Off. Thoughts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dandelion1967, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks Thread Starter

The album itself is really wonderful. The songs are, actually, rather simple: love ballads, hippie anthems, old blues covers, etc. But the way they sound was something new around 1966.

The opening tune, Balin's 'Blues From An Airplane' might seem inoffensive these days, but I can't help wondering how on earth could such a song be approved of at that time. Balin's voice - shaky, insecure, almost paranoid, but also emotional and professional - also contributes to the atmosphere. It isn't such a sad sad song, really, at least lyricswise; but the playing, production and singing make it sound almost like a funeral lament. To my mind, it's one of the best examples of the classic Airplane sound. They've only just arrived on the scene, but they already got it going.

The majority of the songwriting is done by Balin at this point, although he rarely writes a song all by himself. The only tune that's credited entirely to him is no slouch, though: the beautiful love ballad 'It's No Secret'.

'Let Me In', co-written with Kantner, is fast and romantic, dark, too, but I guess that goes without saying;

'Bringing Me Down' challenges 'Blues From An Airplane' in its desperation, and its raw sound and intentional sloppiness adds to the feeling of confusion ought to be generated by listening to it.

'Come Up The Years' is an extremely strange tune about refusing to make love to an under-18 teenager.

The album's definite highlight, though, is the album closing tune - 'And I Like It', co-written with Kaukonen.
    It's great, with the refrain 'this is my life, this is my way, you know I like it' sung with such passion and defiance by Balin.

Signe Anderson also makes her singing debut (and finale) on here, especially shining on the odd cover of 'Chauffeur Blues'. Her voice, although not as eccentric or acid-tinged as Slick's, is quite mighty.

A groundbreaking record, for sure .Imagine a Byrds album and make it very dark and echoey. There you are.

2. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I think its a fine debut, myself. Granted, Signe Anderson was the original female singer before Grace, but I thought she blended well with Marty and Paul and I really dig numbers like their take on Get Together, Blues From an Airplane, Let Me In, Runnin Around This World, It's No Secret, And I Like It; there's much to enjoy and of course, the remastered edition from '03 is choice as there's several outtakes such as High Flyin' Bird, It's Alright, Go to Her and also Runnin Around this World. Still can't believe that Skip Spence played the drums on this album, he did a fine job!

Dandelion1967 likes this.
  3. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

It's The Airplane. No worries.

Plus, the LP takes off with Jack's thunderous bass. What's not to like?

snigglefritz likes this.
  4. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Although the debut record was more tied to the folk scene that dominated the first half of the sixties, it was obvious that the Airplane was quickly moving onto other evolving musical scenes.

1966 was a very fertile and productive period for the Jefferson Airplane. Two great albums (Surrealistic Pillow was also recorded in 66). Lots of gigs in a city that was bursting with action and excitement. This first album until Monterey Pop was their absolute high point.

Although Woodstock was another high point for the band, I can hear a bit of weariness in their music by 1969. It wasn’t exactly the same as the Summer Of Love.

MikeM and Dandelion1967 like this.
  5. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Just gave this a listen on headphones for the first time after a) not having used headphones for years due to increasingly bad tinnitus and b) having burned out on the Airplane in college.

I like it a lot! Very pleasant, like a sunny, warm San Fran day. Captures the place and time just as well as Surrealistic Pillow does. Recording sounds swell in headphones too, although at the low volume I was listening I know I wasn’t getting the full experience.

Dandelion1967 and Taxman like this.
  6. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

A fine album, and one that still gets somewhat overlooked in the wake of Surrealistic Pillow. There's definitely more jangle here than we'd ever hear from the Airplane again. My favorite songs are "It's No Secret", "Let Me In", "Run Around" and "Come Up the Years".

Clarkophile and Dandelion1967 like this.
  7. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

You contributed to William Wes' Airplane thread of a few months ago I take it? Anyway, yes - the Takes Off album is great. All of the group's sixties LPs are wonderful.

WilliamWes likes this.
  8. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

It’s very good but “first album-ish” if you know what I mean. Some truly great songs especially the gorgeous “Come Up the Years” and Kantner’s rocking “Let Me In”, and Balin’s “It’s No Secret.” But also a few routine pedestrian folk/jangly guitars rockers like “Don’t Slip Away” and “Run Around”, and the awful dirgelike “And I like It”

It’s amazing how much Andersen sounds like Grace Slick, especially on her featured “Cheauffer Blues” number

Gray Beard likes this.
  9. parman

parman Music Junkie

I like it and Early Flight

Taxman likes this.
  10. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

You can say that about so many albums though. Oar, for instance. Most albums have a certain degree of filler.

WilliamWes likes this.
  11. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

For a 1966 release, this is a great album. My introduction to it was a French double LP of the first two albums.

Just played the CD for the first time, it was a lockdown purchase. Nice to hear the album afresh. Marty's album without a doubt. Jack's bass playing is awesome from the start - astonishing for someone with so little experience. The only weak song imo is Run Around. Does nothing for me.

I can't help wondering what would have happened if Skip had stuck around and switched to guitar, if only for one album.

parman likes this.
  12. HungryFreaksDaddy

HungryFreaksDaddy Well-Known Member

And I Like It.

13. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Been listening to this all week and really enjoying it. Signe is quite impressive and it’s amazing to me how close she and Grace’s styles are. At first I wondered if Grace was trying to match the style when she joined, but listening to the concurrent Great Society recordings you hear that both Grace and Signe were singing that way all along. Very cool.

Dandelion1967 likes this.
  14. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Hey thanks for mentioning my thread. I figured I tired everyone out with the thread. LOL I hope you're doing well really you and your family. It seems like such a different time since we did that thread last year.

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

The only thought is a memory a good one. At Christmas of 1971 I was in the USAF and stationed at Kwang Ju Air Base in South Korea. At that point I didn't know that my parents were even aware of my interest in music and collecting albums as it had started after I left home and was in the military. For Christmas of that year they shipped two albums to me in South Korea. It didn't matter what the titles were as I was simply stunned they had done it. Not that they were kind to me just the music aspect. I have a picture somewhere of me holding the two in the barracks back then. This is what they sent me.

[​IMG]
    Jefferson Airplane ‎– Jefferson Airplane Takes Off
    Label: RCA Victor ‎– LSP-3584
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, 2nd issue, uncensored lyrics
    Released: 1966

[​IMG]
    Three Dog Night ‎– Harmony
    Label:
    ABC/Dunhill Records ‎– DSX 5010
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, True Sound Press
    Released: 1971

For that reason Taking Off (and Harmony) have had a special place for me all these years.

16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I like it a lot, but think it's below the 4 (5 if you count the live album) that followed.

"Come Up The Years" is my favorite song on it.

Gray Beard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.