JEOPARDY! 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Jan 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

With Call Me Kat renewed, and the producers terrified of offending either Ken or Mayim partisans, I predict that Ken will be named the host of the weeknight version, and Mayim will host the ABC specials.

Of course, I predicted a year ago that Ken would never be named as host of Jeopardy because he doesn’t have a broadcasting background, so what do I know?

MikaelaArsenault and Keith V like this.
  5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Is it me or does Mayim seem like she’s happy when someone gets the wrong answer?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I just wish she wouldn't pause forever before confirming the answer.

Rycherocker634 likes this.
  7. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I loved her on Big Bang but think she's annoying as hell on Jeopardy. Ken has really grown a lot from last year's awkwardness so he would be the perfect permanent host I think, but what do I know? My favorite guest hosts last year were Dr. Oz and Katie Couric, lol.

8. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I think Ken is doing a great job. I like both of them but I feel Ken is more Jeopardy than Mayim. Maybe it's his link to Jeopardy but I find I enjoy the show more when he hosts.

Chris C, MerseyBeatle and MichaelH like this.
  9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Really enjoying current champion Ride-Share Ryan! It's great to see a regular working type person doing well on this show. I was surprised he didn't get Faulkner tonight but he's gotten others I had as wrong. For some reason I thought it Lake Tikal when it was Baikal, and Ryan was the only one with the correct response and was in the lead (though not untouchable). Did not enjoy another Eminem question or an entire category on Adele. I really think they're making a mistake with too many of these some nights. I hate to say junk culture because I don't see Adele that way, but I have noticed a lot of movie questions end up being kind of junk films like Die Hard 2 or whatever. I may know them and still not like it being on Jeopardy. A little is good, but when there's too much it is bringing the level of the show down. Being a champ on Jeopardy should not mean you've seen a lot of blockbuster movies and their sequels, listen to all the current pop 'idols' and watch a loads of tv.

Mayim seems a little less 'on' lately. I hope she's taken a bit of a chill pill, maybe just trying too hard sometimes?

aorecords likes this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I like Ryan, too. His lack of quirks makes repeated exposure to him less annoying. His wide-ranging knowledge doesn't hurt either.

11. MekkaGodzilla

I'll take "The Road We're Headed Down" for $200.

beccabear67 likes this.
  12. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Let’s take drugs for a thousand.

Strummergas and beccabear67 like this.
  13. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Manapua and beccabear67 like this.
  14. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

That was hilarious.

I'm also a fan of Ryan. Long may he reign.

Manapua and beccabear67 like this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I get what you're saying, and don't totally disagree with it-That said, I think I'd rather it stay on that course rather than going the other way and becoming too highbrow.

beccabear67 likes this.
  16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Well, say one is trying to stay as far away from reality tv series as possible, keeping the doings of the Snoop Doggs, Kardashians, hits of Korean boy bands, out of their adult brain with it's possibly reducing cell counts... does that stuff have to take up 10-15% of Jeopardy too? I've still only watched three episodes of The Simpsons, none of many other long running shows; should that really be such a handicap with this show? Also while I might think something like Jason Statham's Transporter was a fun watch one time, I do not want it scene by scene and line for line with soundtrack notations reinforced in memory like I might for a film made to be and achieving something more meaningful. If they'd pick higher quality choices maybe I wouldn't notice, but I do notice that a lot of these clues related to supposedly most popular most watched current 'culture' go unsolved around a third of the time. I have heard the host has some input? If so it adds to not enjoying the non Ken Jennings shows. I can get most of comic strip and comic book related things but if there were too much of it I would think it unfair to others. I rarely get U.S. college and university questions, especially related to sports, but somehow that fits better.

And yeah, I see my loads typo where I meant load. D'oh.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. MekkaGodzilla

For me, personally, I think there are WAY too many categories related to "The Bible" that turn up almost EVERY. DAMN. SHOW. This really started becoming a problem during the last decade (that and "The Metropolitan Opera").

Strummergas and beccabear67 like this.
  18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

We all have categories that WE don't like, but then again, we're not JEOPARDY! contestants. I don't think there are any too-frequent categories in the show and the contestants are generally all dealing with they are thrown. These people are expected to deal with a wide variety of topics, and some do - and succeed. And some don't - and are given their $1000 or $2000 prize and go home.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  19. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

I can't believe nobody got the Doobie Brothers clue right last week. Hasn't everyone heard China Grove?

905 and mbd40 like this.
  20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Generally, the contestants get many 'classic rock' clues/ questions wrong or do not answer. It's a generational thing. Someone above was complaining about Biblical and opera categories - same thing. Many contemporary contestants simply do not have the background knowledge about/ interest in classic rock.

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Re. daily hosting duties.

I'm presuming that the show-runners WANT a female host (and that's their primary overall objective in casting a host) and see a generational change in several aspects of the show since Trebek's death - and Bialik's academic background and carry-over popularity from 'The Big Bang Theory' appear as assets. I'm presuming that Bialik's contract allows her leaves-of-absence whenever the scheduling of her outside work conflicts with Jeopardy's schedule. Jennings (a fan favourite, who would probably win a Jeopardy fans' poll between the two for full time hosting duties ) holds the substitute teacher role. The show runners are probably afraid of the fan backlash if he disappeared from the show.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Categories of 'The Bible' and opera do not appear almost every episode - and much less frequently than they once did in years past (both once standard categories that appeared on a regular basis).

They're two of the classic areas of knowledge with which it was presumed an intelligent, well-rounded, person would have at least have a passing familiarity. This presumption is characteristic of the show since its inception. (Some other categories in a similar mode I can think of 'off-hand' are classic English Literature, ancient history, and world geography.) But times change.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Regarding Ken, even if he would end up not being fill-in host/host, he'd still have some behind the scenes activity on the show, what with his 'Consulting Producer' role he's had on the show for awhile now, even before Alex's passing...

PS: I think that's Ken's end credit title, unless I'm mixing it up with Pat Sajak's WOF end credits title... Or maybe they've both had that titled bestowed upon them...

24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Jennings acquired his 'consulting producer' before Trebek's death, but after his cancer diagnosis was publicly announced. At the time many (including myself) saw this as a stepping stone for Jennings to eventually assume the host duties after Trebek's inevitable departure. His duties as 'consulting producer' appear to be somewhat superfluous to the running of the show, other than Jennings' involvement, itself - keeping his name and face attached to the show. The man who hired him as a 'consulting producer', executive producer Harry Friedman, was set to retire and Jennings' continuing involvement with Jeopardy was something he wanted to ensure. Since Jennings' hiring, Friedman's retirement and Trebek's death the new show-runners appear to have a new direction in mind for the show and do not seem to overly favour Jennings, but do realize his value with the fans.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Jennings has grown in his role and seems more at ease. He's a revelation after his awkward beginnings and it's not like he's a stranger to the game show world what with Master Minds, The Chase and this show.

beccabear67 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.