Jethro Tull 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Compressed Dolby Digital. :laugh:

2. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

No doubt it will be a BD as others have done lately. Looks like 5.1 is having a resurgence. Excellent. Everything is falling into place nicely.

3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Not according to Ian Anderson. On the 25th anniversary CD there is an interview with him, and he stated that the studio monitors were lying, and that had a negative affect on the mix.

A stereo remix would do that album wonders.

4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

I thought there was some redemption with the mono This Was remaster. 99% good.

For now: Let's enjoy this news, before a possible lifetime of hell with bright eq and compression. (no laughing matter)

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I agree. :righton:

6. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

IMO, they were fine, except Aqualung.

7. I am interested in a 5.1 Blu-ray release of any studio albums with good multitrack sources available. I don't want to be forced to buy a new CD version of the albums to get the Blu-ray release so either release it only as a straight Blu-ray or make two options available, one with Blu-ray/CD. I am tired of buying another DVD or another CD when all I want is the Blu-ray version at a good price. Please, no more DVD-As, give us the best possible format with the biggest possible market when it comes to high resolution surround.

I love Jethro Tull and hope this doesn't get screwed up, it has great potential if done properly.

8. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

I hope there's a 5.1 version for us non-BD owners to enjoy also, if this ever comes to fruition.

9. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

This is great news!!

10. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

You think? Haven't the most surround releases lately not been on DVD-Vs in DD or DTS (24/96)? Like Nick Cave or Mike Oldfield?

11. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

+1.......Agree on Aqualung. That was very disappointing!

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

If they ever do a 5.1 A PASSION PLAY, that'll be the day I buy a Blu-Ray player :D

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm very happy about this news ... especially the thought of THICK AS A BRICK in surround sound ... I just hope they don't just stick them on DVD-Video Discs as Dolby or DTS files ... that would suck. But nobody makes DVD-Audio discs anymore and I haven't seen a new surround SACD in years. Hopefully, it'll be Blu-ray Audio discs.

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

+1

Also, I hate interview segments that are stuck on regular music CDs ... give that stuff over to a bonus disc, puh-leez.

15. tootull

16. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

I meant lately. Think of Petty, Neil Young and Rush. Young was actually stereo but I was thinking the format of BD is finally starting to be used by Rock musicians.

17. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

18. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Or, at least, make it the very last track. Or the first. :D (Seriously, it's not impossible to add an interview as a hidden first track.)

19. tootull

Too bad, I like it, this is not love.

Read more:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jethro-Tull-Live-at-Montreux-2003-Blu-ray/1133/

20. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

22. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

23. I don't see how any Jethro Tull 5.1 audio releases can justify both DVD and Blu-ray, therefore I see this as only likely for one or the other. If there is any future for high resolution surround, it is Blu-ray with the ability for HD video simultaneously with audio.

Blu-ray players are very inexpensive, it is a mainstream product now, we are waiting for it to become the choice for all high resolution surround releases. Join in, no reason to be left behind, DVD-A and SACD have failed miserably to find any market and DVD-V is limited but I think the choice is between Blu-ray and DVD-V. I am uninterested in anything like this being done on any format other than Blu-ray at this point and I think a large percentage of the potential market agrees.

24. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

:agree:

25. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.