Jethro Tull - A Passion Play appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Jun 26, 2020.

1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"The press" in this case was largely Chris Welch from Melody Maker. He was a big supporter of prog, but tended to hate it when prog bands got really ambitious (he panned APP, Lamb and Topographic, and got back on board when those bands scaled down). Of course they all got some other negative (and positive) reviews, but it was largely Welch who discouraged those bands, since they'd considered him an ally.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    yesstiles, squittolo and ParloFax like this.
  2. He must have liked Gentle Giant then? Because aside from one fairly long track on their debut album, they spent their 10-year recording career doing short albums with short (by prog standards) tracks on them.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

You'd think, but GG spent so much energy on America that the UK press and public ignored them altogether. Same thing largely went for Renaissance.

ParloFax likes this.
  4. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Did you know the MSFL version already had this breakout?

5. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

According to an earlier post here, their breakout is different than mine.

6. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

From the moment I heard it (which would have been virtually the day of its original release) I've really enjoyed it and its appeal has only increased over the years. The last 10 minutes are 10 of my favourite Tull minutes ever. Cranked up, on a good system, there's little better. Steven Wilson did a great job with the remaster, too.

7. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Ah, I missed that. The breakout titles looked familiar so I just assumed they were the same.

8. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I still wish SW had used the 1988 additions. I don't know why he thought staying in 1972 was a sacred task. It's not like a stranger did the overdubs, it was Ian and ISTR that he claimed he remembered what he wanted to do but after they bailed on the concept he just never bothered (until 88 that is).

And I'm still trying to ascertain if the Chateau album had a working title. They had 3 sides done by that point so a title must have been floating around. I'm sure it couldn't have been APP owing to the great amount of the "animal" themed material.

9. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

I've always considered these three albums to be more of a trilogy than the usual trio of Wood/Horses/Stormwatch.
    The reason people don't notice is that there's another album stuck in between!

10. rsulzinger

rsulzinger Forum Resident

That was the first concert I went to. Great memories

fishyboots and spinyn like this.
  11. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Well said.
    This Tull fan has no disagreements or anything further to add.
    ...though I do get a crack outta Critique Oblique's
    "and your little sister's immaculate virginity WINGS away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision"
    Some of Ian's beautifully crude poeticism amid a suitably menacing aural adventure.

fishyboots likes this.
  12. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Ain't that the truth. At the time, my neighbors in NJ had four box seats right next to the Yankees dugout and the first base camera. If I leaned over the railing, I saw dirt. We used to sit next to Michael Burke and Lee MacPhail. They gave me tickets in exchange for gardening chores on their property. My only regret is not taking pictures. I was mere feet away from Mickey, Pepi and Horace and the rest during pre-game warm-ups. My neighbors owned a jewelry shop in Manhattan. For all I know, they were supplying the Yankees with World Series rings. I was too young to think about asking them how they got such primo seats.

classicrocker likes this.
  13. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

I think Passion Play & Brick should have trimmed the musical "fat" and been released as a single album 1 side each. Would have made a strong lp. I do love
    the newspaper cover on Brick. It's a pretty cool read.

14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

No way! Full albums or nuffing!

Snow2, DaveJ, squittolo and 3 others like this.
  15. ChrisH

ChrisH Forum Resident

I think it's great album and a great live show. I remember a mate of mine having a small programme with his original LP, or am I imagining it? Does anyone know BTW of any live recordings that include Steeleye Span as support?

16. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I’m a big Tull fan but here’s where he jumped the shark.

a customer likes this.
  17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Correct. The program was opened and fitted into slots in the inside of the gatefold.
    Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

18. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

He?! Jethro jumped that thing back in 1741.

If APP was a shark-jumper of a moment, do you really not like anything that followed?!

Jeff449 and ParloFax like this.
  19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

A Passion Play; well, let's be honest, "The Hare who Lost His Spectacles" is here because the album needs the comedy relief.

But still, I like it. Not sure where it would go if I was to rank Tull's catalog.

20. What's the name of that folk dance, in musical terms, which opens the album as the Prelude? J-S Bach often used it... and Tull too...

It's not a jig; there is a jig elsewhere on the album, and it's different...

21. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I'm the worlds biggest Tull fan and adore TAAB, but APP is just as dismal now as it was back in 1973.

Glenn coates likes this.
  22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

He jumped the shark, landed on the whale, and rode that thing out into the ocean beyond. Glory bound.

23. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Passion play has its moments but less than half of it is good. Imo imo.
    I saw the concert it was interesting.
    From stand up to aqualung along with the singles from living in the past they were releasing some great catchy pop rock etc tunes. Thick as a brick is one thing passion play is a bridge to far
    I like that movie
    I still like parts of passion play and the stephen wilson version sounds better.
    Imo imo

24. catnip nation

catnip nation Forum Resident

Passion Play is one of my all time faves.It works best for me in the LP format.

Snow2 and DaveJ like this.
  25. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

I like all the Sax on the album , i think Ian must have heard the VDGG album "pawn Hearts".

yesstiles and AdrianSoundchaser like this.