Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

This is probably self-evident to everyone here, but here goes.
    After hearing the title track, and "Locomotive Breath" on classic rock radio (mainly Buffalo's 97 Rock)for years and years, I finally decided to pick up the 2cd edition. Like so many here, I'm enjoying what I've heard so far, but also-finally-I understand the name of the main character in the title. For so long I thought, 'Aqualung', huh, odd name for a homeless person, but who am I to question the creative processes behind such a classic rock landmark? The title is of course, a nickname based on what is heard, "deep sea diver sounds". Just a small revelation, but I just never made the connection before now, and this reissue helped me do that.
    Still enjoying it, along with the cd of 'Minstrel In The Gallery' an album I did own in my teenage years.

2. jim mallett

jim mallett Active Member

Only idiots accept ‘glitches’ as bad as on the dvd and bluray. Good thing Amoeba records in SF gave me a good price when I sold my box to them. Saw it on the shelf marked at 120 US. Still expensive. Still flawed.

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I never have played anything but the record. I'm glad the vinyl is glitch free.

4. jim mallett

jim mallett Active Member

Maybe idiot is the wrong word to use. How about ‘uncritical consumer’?

5. ssmith3046

Idiot is a little harsh IMO.

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Well what at the other options if you want this material?

7. Nothing if you want the 5.1 mixes. I still have not ponied-up and bought this set because of the formats and price. So unless there is a huge sale in the future, like a 60% price reduction, I will continue to pass on this set.

The Thick as a Brick release is done better as far as pricing goes (about 25$ for the the old and new mixes on cd/dvd), but if you must have hi-res you will be disapointed.

8. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

I don't get the big deal about this 40th remix, I find it to be very harsh at loud volumes. The DCC of Aqualung and the MoFi of Living in the Past are still top dog by far... IMHO.

9. CarloM

CarloM Forum Resident

Sorry I've been away from this thread for a while. Near as I can tell there is still no movement on getting EMI to replace the defective blu-rays? Would people be willing to try another email campaign to EMI? Looks like they got some traction for a replacement DVD for the defective TAAB over in that other thread. I'm sent a snail mail to an EMI address back in Dec. 2011 which went unanswered. I'm going to try and email it to: [email protected] - I would encourage all of my fellow fans of this release to demand a glitch-free Blu-Ray of the 5.1 mix. Most of us paid between $80-$100 for this set and for it to have those digital glitches (especially when they don't show up on the other mixes) is quite unacceptable.

hvbias likes this.
  10. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Not to mention the glitches in the stereo flat transfer portion. That version isn't even on the DVD.

11. CarloM

CarloM Forum Resident

Are you referring to TAAB or Aqualung? I've listened to the stereo version of Aqualung 40th Anniversary and it sounds fine. It's the Blu-Ray mix that's got the glitches. If you are referring to glitches in stereo Aqualung can you give song and timepoint information? I'll include those too in my email to EMI. Thanks!

12. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

They're not in the stereo remix, but the flat transfer of the original mix. There are quite a few jarring noises. They were documented in this thread by at least myself.

13. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

I mentioned the glitches to Steven Wilson at QQ.

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...DTS-Dolby-DVD)&p=164888&viewfull=1#post164888
    Aqualung 40th:
    Times are from the beginning of the album:

5.1 mix on both DVD and Blu-ray:

Cross-Eyed Mary glitch - At about 7:53
    Cross-Eyed Mary - At about 10:42 the last few notes are erroneously repeated at the very end of the track
    My God glitch - At about 27:45
    Wind Up glitch - At about 41:27 on the Blu-ray (At about 41:24 on the DVD)

Original stereo mix on Blu-ray:

My God several severe glitches - Starting at about 24:23, then 25:31 and onward.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is Steven Wilson's response: 11-15-2012

Thank you for this. I just listened. The 3 glitches on the 5.1 mix are annoying, though perhaps because I'm a seasoned vinyl listener, and they remind me of vinyl ticks which I'm so used to, they don't annoy me as much as the TAAB glitches - still no excuse of course. The repeating section at the end of Cross Eyed Mary is just the very tail end of the reverberating final chord, and only heard at significant volume. Though again that's not very good and I'm not happy that it happened.

The glitches on the original stereo transfer are indeed horrible.

I will mention to EMI and Ian these issues, I very much doubt they are aware of them.

Steven Wilson

drSeehas, Chris Haley and CarloM like this.
  14. Good response from Steven Wilson. Maybe it will help with the issue.

15. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Have these glitches been fixed...am considering buying the 2 disc 40th as well as the Brick which originally also has issues but was reading fixed in post 2013 editions

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

TAAB has been fixed, not Aqualung. EMI must be reticent to repress these 2 years after the fact... :sigh:

jerrygene likes this.
  17. cornwall198

cornwall198 Forum Resident

Newbi to 5.1 and this (incredible!) forum. Be gentle! Just got my B&W CM9 system a few weeks ago and very happy with it.

A question for anyone who can help... I just purchased the Aqualung 40th Ann. Box. Despite some of the issues identified earlier, I'm really enjoying hearing one of my favorite albums in so many formats, sounding so good, to my ears. I have been listening to this album in various formats for over 40 years now! But I am experiencing one issue. On all versions that are not 5.1, everything sounds about right when the (louder!) piano/guitar intro in Locomotive Breath transitions into the main song. There's the chugga-chugga electric guitar riff on one side, the voice comes in, and then the other electric guitar riffing comes on the other side. All present and correct, if in different places on the sound stage, depending on which version. Including the quad versions too.

On all the 5.1 versions, Blue-Ray and DVD everything again is present - except the chugga-chugga electric guitar riff is entirely missing. Entirely - not even a ghost of the riff. Also, towards the end of Moother Goose, the electric guitar doubling of the chorus riff is missing too - again, only from the 5.1 versions. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've checked all my wiring, and played lots of other music I know well - and everything seems present and correct on those 5.1 mixes - except on Genesis, Foxtrot, where Peter Gabriel's "A Flower" question is very muffled on "Suppers Ready"...

Is this problem just me and how I've set up the system, or is this an issue others have experienced? If anyone can offer confirmation, or a view, on this one, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

hvbias likes this.
  18. Mudshark

Mudshark Forum Resident

Hi, are there any updates on a possible replacement "Aqualung" Blu-ray disc? It is a shame that such an otherwise great re-issue is marred by glitches.

19. V I Aboytes

V I Aboytes Forum Resident

Ditto. Any updates?

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I think they just forgot about it...way too much time has passed. I'm happy I have it.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wow, I thought this thing was considered the bees knees..guess its got some bum glitches. No thanks. Fix it if you want my dollars.

drSeehas likes this.
  22. ssmith3046

The record in the set is the bees knees for me.

23. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

The glitches are so minor as to be unnoticeable until they are pointed out. At least that was my experience. I would suggest not factoring that into your decision whether to buy this awesome set. The 5.1 mix is fantastic and the bonuses, including the quad mix, are remarkable as well. The only negative factor is the price.

If you're not a surround fan, then you should be able to get the 2 channel mix fairly cheaply. In fact, if you want any of the CD's, the dvd or the vinyl, PM me and I'll be glad to hook you up for a reasonable price. I've never even played anything but the BR- except for 1 play of the dvd, for comparison only.

mpayan likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Does the two channel mix have the glitches?

25. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

From what I've read, only the BR and the flat transfer have glitches. But I've only listened to the 5.1 and quad mixes. The 5.1 mix is so excellent, I doubt I'll ever listen to this in 2 channel again (except for maybe in the car).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.