Jethro Tull Benefit - Big Book Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fast'n'bulbous, Dec 11, 2017.

1. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

According to SW, yes. They have been putting this one off because there was already a deluxe edition by Peter Mew many years ago.

Metalrob likes this.
  2. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Please please please.

Such a remarkable album. I'd love to sit in my music chair holding a book edition like the others. How Ian thinks "Stand Up" is a far better album attests to the reality of subjective experience coloring judgment, because "Benefit" is easily a superior album! haha

4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I think they're both indispensable. Stand Up had Ian stretching his songwriting muscles after the somewhat one-dimensional This Was; Benefit depicts a band that is much more confident in the studio and willing to cut loose.

Man at C&A, DaverJ and geodos like this.
  5. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

That vinyl release sounded identical to a bootleg cd I had of it. I just know it was sourced from it

6. SJB

I believe the vinyl release is identical to the CD version included with the 2010 Stand Up (I said 2001 but that was a typo, adding to the confusion because there was a 2001 reissue). When I did a Google Image Search to find the vinyl cover art, I spotted what appear to be bootlegs using that artwork. I suppose that means the 2010 edition is out of print, or that there are some particularly brazen pirates out there.

The Carnegie show is great, but you also need Nothing Is Easy from the Isle of Wight show - the set list overlaps by about 75% but you get "Bouree" and a scorching version of "My Sunday Feeling," by a mile my go-to version of that song.

phillyal1 and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  7. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I hope not. I already bought the one that came out. I haven’t upgraded my 2 disc Aqualung either so I guess if you guys want a book Benefit, I approve.

Btw. I really enjoy the Benefit set because of the original mixes of the singles I didn’t even know existed.

8. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Keith, you need the book version of Aqualung to get the SW remix without Peter Mew's mastering.

yesstiles and Keith V like this.
  9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Then I’ll need a better stereo to hear it better :D

10. SJB

I had the mono "Sweet Dream" on 45, but I hadn't known that a stereo mix was prepared at the same time. Neither version has the double-tracked vocals all over the song like the more familiar mix does.

Does anyone here know if the doubled vocal was there all along, but mixed out of the single, or if Ian overdubbed it in 1972 around the same time he overdubbed John Evan's Hammond organ onto "Living in the Past" (wiping a flute track in the process)?

Keith V likes this.
  11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Yes. I’d like to know stuff like this too. The Living in the Past album fascinates me. What was remixed, what was overdubbed etc.

I’d buy a deluxe version of that album (with remixed versions of stuff I already bought) just for the book.

Mainline461 likes this.
  12. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Jethro Tull - Living in the Past album unique mixes

Pete Puma, Keith V and ParloFax like this.
  13. 1972 was an insanely exciting year for North American Jethro Tull fans. Thick As A Brick, then in the summer this lush set LitP befalling upon us out of nowhere... I mean, at least, as a Canadian I hadn't been aware much up to that point of even the existence of most of these singles and odd tracks. (For some reason, our underground FM station played mainly album tracks, and Tull was nowhere to be heard on the other Montreal stations.) Plus I was just wild about that live side from 1970! I still find it an exciting listen, though I could live without Ian's banter.

Keith V and tootull like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

happy with the current Benefit I would not buy it again in any from...

15. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I finally got this remix. I reckon Sweet dream should have been on the stand up remix. It was recorded the same month as Stand up was released and I’m sure Ian had the melody in his head during the album sessions. Stand up would have been awesome with Sweet dream and Living in the past. Driving song is a good one too. Benefit would have been awesome with Teacher and Witches promise

Keith V likes this.
  16. SJB

"Sweet Dream" was included in the 2001 Stand Up remaster, but it was actually recorded during the early Benefit sessions so its placement with the latter album makes sense.

17. Dok

Dok Senior Member

How many book form boxes were there before the Benefit release? Why would they choose to do it that way? Was something missing that they thought might turn up down the road? Was this a marketing decision aimed at a future re-release or just Ian's lackluster reaction to the album?

18. DPM

DPM Senior Member

None. The book form releases started AFTER Benefit had been done.

19. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

TAAB was 2012.
    Benefit 2013.

John Buchanan likes this.
  20. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Wonder if it was done in the book format if Wilson would have another go at it. His skills may have got better since

21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The US version of Benefit had Teacher on it. The UK didn't.

22. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Love Teacher. I also like Alive and well which was replaced. Never been much of a fan of With you there to help. I’d swap that with teacher

23. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Love Benefit and would love to have it in book format have the one from 2013 but would buy again.

24. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Saw this on sale for $11.99 in an ad for insound.com
    I'm not familiar with them so if anyone is interested in checking them out here's a link:

Benefit (Deluxe)(2CD/1DVD) - CDs

ermylaw likes this.
  25. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Anyone hear anything else on this, any updates ?