Jethro Tull Benefit - Big Book Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fast'n'bulbous, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Indeed. They could've charged double the original price and it still would've been fair.

I really can't think of a better value-for-money reissue campaign as the Jethro Tull booksets, and have made me a bigger fan. I've been binging on classic Tull on and off ever since I first got Thick As A Brick and decided to buy the rest. For example, this week I've been playing Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll every damn day, and I'm still not tired of it!

sound chaser, bobcat, Bonddm and 3 others like this.
  2. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Today I got an oficial JT email about the 50th anniversary realease if Benefit. The email ended with the phrase "more celebrations of Benefit are to come next year..."

Looks like It is confirmed

pscreed, akiuas, murrays and 6 others like this.
  3. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Actually it says " to come later this year" - not next year.

tinnox likes this.
  4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

5. Daniel Falaschi

Yes, sorry for that.
    I reallly hope Warners has found something new.

6. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Nice...time to get out my original NM vinyl...playin' it loud on the TT!
    a nice Reprise two tone label.

[​IMG]

And...

[​IMG]

With the Chrysalis logo on the label and back cover.

[​IMG]

Canada got the cool tri-color Reprise label but not the "stand up".
    UK had the Island label---did you Brits get the stand-up?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    jeffrey walsh and tinnox like this.
  7. Daniel Falaschi

8. Daniel Falaschi

No news on the Benefit 50 anniversary package in the AND magazine preview...anyone got the full issiue?

9. Daniel Falaschi

Not very good news from Ian himself:
    Poster un the Lauri forum by Hans Jurgen:

From the interview with Ian in the new A NEW Day:
    Question: Well, regarding Benefit, I'll finish my bits so that we are at least ready to go, and then we'll just have to wait and see what happens when.
    Answer:I don't like to think that what you're doing with Benefit is a complete waste of time, but if I was Warners I'd be shutting it right down, I wouldn't be trying to peddle things at a time when people are being laid off left, right and center in every country in the world - certainly in all the countries where we might sell any records. I am absolutely positive that very soon deliveries will be restricted to essential goods and services only, so I don't see why they're persevering with this. Maybe a lot of people can work from home [the entire Warners / Parlophone office is indeed home-working. MW], but the chances of being able to manufacture and distribute records which are absolutely non-essential with a dwindling supply of drivers and vans are tiny. Amazon probably won't touch it. It's just the wrong time to be trying to flog your wares which are non-essential when people are struggling to find basic necessities of food stuffs and everything else. I can't see this record being released in this calendar year, to be frank, the same as I now don't expect to receive my order for a flute part from Boston any time this year. The backlog of stuff when eventually normal services are resumed will be enormous across the board, and the priorities quite rightly will be on those who really need stuff. And [laughing] nobody needs what I do for a living, we just make a living out of persuading people that they want it! the same as I now don't expect to receive my order for a flute part from Boston any time this year. The backlog of stuff when eventually normal services are resumed will be enormous across the board, and the priorities quite rightly will be on those who really need stuff. And [laughing] nobody needs what I do for a living, we just make a living out of persuading people that they want it! the same as I now don't expect to receive my order for a flute part from Boston any time this year. The backlog of stuff when eventually normal services are resumed will be enormous across the board, and the priorities quite rightly will be on those who really need stuff. And [laughing] nobody needs what I do for a living, we just make a living out of persuading people that they want it!

frank3si and ParloFax like this.
  10. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

We’re in this interesting time when what we can’t have (new music) is exactly what we need to help retain some sanity. So, yes... we do need what musicians do for a living.

I get it, though... things are closed, things are backlogged, and getting Benefit out this year would be tough. But there are a number of things that can be done remotely these days, including interviews with past band members for upcoming JT boxes. :winkgrin:

I hope Benefit still comes even if it is delayed until the very end of the year or early next.

akiuas, dirie and ParloFax like this.
  11. Daniel Falaschi

A teaser of what might be included as new extras would make the wait worth.
    Maybe they found the Witches' multitrack?

Ern and mark winstanley like this.
  12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Oh gimme a break Ian.

13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I'm cautiously optimistic. There's obviously a Benefit set in the works. Ian thinks that circumstances may end up delaying or scuttling the project. He doesn't say that he's trying to quash it. He apparently didn't know that a lot of Warner employees are able to work from home.

Obviously when resources are limited, priority should go to essential goods rather than luxury goods, and CD box sets are, beyond doubt, a luxury. But it's also important to keep the economy on life support until it's safe for everyone to emerge, blinking and squinting, from underneath their respective logs and boulders. If the set can be manufactured without compromising the safety of workers, then the distribution mechanism is already in place to get copies into buyers' hands. This keeps dollars moving, including desperately-needed tax dollars, and it gives fans something to do while they're hunkered down.

I can wait a while longer for a deluxe Benefit set. Get help to where it needs to go, and then try to help a weakened economy stagger back up on its feet.

akiuas, frank3si, dirie and 2 others like this.
  14. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Happy to wait till 20121 for a Benefit book edition as long as it’s followed by a TAAB one in 2022!

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  15. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Ian is the occasional pessimist. He came down hard on the idea of remixing his music into surround, maybe 15-20 years ago, but look how he came around. I think he'll feel better as the situation eases. It's in Warner's hands anyway.

Plan9 and yesstiles like this.
  16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Actually, considering I’m 56, I’m happy to wait till 2021 for a Benefit book edition, but not sure if I’ll make it to 20121!

JulesRules, yesstiles and Plan9 like this.
  17. Dok

Dok Senior Member

No point on working on a new album to sale either then eh Ian?

John Buchanan likes this.
  18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Excellent point.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm thinking positive on this I love benefit!

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL!

21. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

ya
    Ian sure doesn't have much love for the BENEFIT years....
    too bad.....

you all are ordering and receiving from Amazon regularly aren't you?
    music or not....are you all still getting your discs in the mail?

22. SJB

I got an Amazon shipping notice last week, so for the time being, yes, they're still sending non-essential items. I understand the warehouse staff isn't especially happy right now and I can't say I blame them.

23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Several things I get from that answer.

1 - Benefit was in the works, and I presume it's now delayed and not coming out this year.
    2 - I have absolutely no problem with the delay.
    3 - He repeats himself when under stress.

24. SJB

Ian doesn't even directly say that it's delayed. He seems to expect that it will be delayed because delivery services will be more urgently needed elsewhere.

pinkchris1967 likes this.