Jethro Tull - Expanded Anniversary Boxed Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rikki nadir, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Have the live dvd release that’s a book too?

2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

They are in my listening order or I did it to mix you up, especially. :laugh:
    The Toronto Maple Leafs loss last night messed me up.

SJB likes this.
  3. tootull

I like all. I've always liked the sound of the LP. Not a big live sound fan. 5.1 is what I expected at this point.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  4. tootull

Previously Live At MSG was in book size.
    [​IMG]

5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Let’s not go there. :cry:

tootull likes this.
  6. tootull

Sorry, Bursting Out book arrived today to stop the crying.

Matthew Tate and lucan_g like this.
  7. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Perhaps @Matthew Tate was referring to the Around the World Live DVD set, which is in a book format the same dimensions as the Wilson remixes?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

HAHA

Well, the perils of dealing with someone else's opinion! :D I mean you are not wrong... some people's opinions are annoying! :D

The one that rubs me the wrong way the most is:

"I for one, won't be getting this release... my $3 CD that I bought in the charity shop is more than enough!"

I always like "OH NO!" Stop the presses! CALL JA-RULE! PLEASE SOMEONE GET ON THE HORN AND CONNECT IAN AND STEVEN WITH THEIR THERAPISTS! THEY ARE GONNA BE DEVASTATED!!!!

:D
    Of course, said with 72.3% tongue in cheek... :D

9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Claude Nobs ?

10. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

Well, I mean the idea that it wasn't necessary. Under certain circumstances, certainly. But it's not a remaster - it's a Steven Wilson remix of an album where the original mix was kind of lacking, there were edits, songs removed etc. The idea that they already released a concert from this tour mixed by somebody else - really? If they had done the original album first, then maybe another concert wouldn't be needed. But the other way around? It's relatively inexpensive like all of these deluxes, compared to other bands who charge quadruple the price for less and get their asses kissed regardless. It's funny how people are justifying declared indifference with this one. Yeah, sure.

11. tootull

Bursting Out: I like the sound on all versions I've heard. I used the CD remaster to compare any problems I had with this set and they matched. 5.1 is the star for me.
    Cheers!

12. tootull

:laugh: Nice guys finish last...and get stomped on. FUN!

13. tootull

Steven Wilson

...brings Bursting Out to life. Especially 5.1.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Wait its not being released until June 21st. How are you getting it early?

15. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Connections. :cussing:

tootull likes this.
  16. tootull

:shh: :laugh:
    I've had to live with the test DVDs since last year, it's about time that I got the final product. :angel: Previewer cheers! :winkgrin: My name is in the Bursting Out book-set.

jeffreybh, highway, 1@aTime and 7 others like this.
  17. polksda

polksda Forum Resident

As someone late to the game on these sets, while most are still obtainable, there are three that have spiraled out of sight and two others are on their way, barring reissue.

For sh*ts 'n giggles, I spent some time compiling available pricing and some pricing history on those 5 titles, as of today. The Discogs and eBay prices are the lowest current listings, and the eBay completed columns are the lowest SOLD results from left to right. I provided the 7 lowest sold listings to avoid one-off outliers from someone not realizing what they were listing, e.g., the lowest Too Old... listed by Goodwill. You can get a feel for what the current norm is.

There appear to be a spate of Heavy Horses being listed by multiple sellers out of Japan. Not sure what the story is there.

The toughest title appears to be Stand Up, not just on raw pricing history, but it also has the fewest number both currently listed or sold.

I still need 3 of the 5 titles... sigh.

[​IMG]

FramboGND, alakulju and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. SJB

The above table is an eloquent rebuttal to "I'll wait for the price to go down."

19. tootull

Now on the shelf:>)Decode this secret message. :D
    [​IMG]

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes i was . this great set in book format

jeffreybh and Flaming Torch like this.
  21. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I got "Too Old..." for €29,99 in 2019, four years after release. It had been this cheap for a long time IIRC.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. polksda

polksda Forum Resident

I don't know that it's realistic for anyone to expect that experience in the current climate. Each release in the series has brought more collectors into the sphere, many looking to acquire back titles. Add to that hyperinflation, etc.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Yeah - I guess it's easy to get stuck on "This is how *I* think things should be" or "This is how *I believe* things are" and act accordingly... Gotta temper that down with reality... They are not pressing as many of those... and Discogs and eBay make it easier for people to KNOW what they are selling... gone are the days of finding an item at a great price, just because someone saw it as "just another used recording". Now everyone, from Goodwill and other charity chops to the person that normally would not know about it, they all land on the current market price.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

...fine material ( maybe the best of all ) ...but you have to like Jethro Tull....!!!!

25. SJB

Challenge accepted, message decoded, in no way spontaneously made up on the spot while I'm typing.

The way the two Beatles sets are arranged, the combined titles work out to "Get Back + 1." This could be a reference to last year's "Now and Then," which got them back at the top of the charts in the UK by adding one more #1 hit single. This is emphasized by their placement atop Thick as a Brick, which was Jethro Tull's unlikely #1 US album.

Or it could be a reference to the upcoming streaming release of Let It Be which will add one movie to the existing Get Back experience. The cinematic tie-in could refer to the long-lost Paris 1975 film or to a rough cut of WarChild which ended up being secretly filmed and now that it's 2024, the NDAs have expired and its existence can be made known.

Also, the Beatles sets are between two rows of Tull sets, making a Beatle sandwich. The Tull sets are the bread, which could mean that Ian will be guesting on a tribute album dedicated to soft-rock mainstays Bread. This ties in with the Beatles discs again because Get Back takes place in the past, which means Got Back, and the documentary was released very recently meaning it's a baby, ergo "Baby Got Back." The Beatles in this sandwich represent baby back ribs. From Chili's, in a nod to Ian's proclivity for hot peppers.

The extra copy of Thick as a Brick suggests that the sandwich is on very thick focaccia bread - visually, the Tull "bread" has much more verticality than the Beatles "ribs" filling - baked in a brick oven.

To make it clear that the baby back ribs aren't from an actual baby, there are extra copies of Aqualung (with an old-lookin' guy on the cover), Minstrel (depicting a very old scene in which no one is a baby anymore) and an album with the word "Old" in the title.

QED.

highway, tootull and Matthew Tate like this.