Jethro Tull Golden Period

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mickey2, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

This Was to Stormwatch at Casa Buchanan, Couple of clunkers in there (Benefit - too many leaden, repetitious riffs - and Too Old To Rock And Roll - just not terribly dynamic or varied musically).

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

this was to broadsword and the beast

Bananas&blow, rbbert and showtaper like this.
  3. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

This Was through Stormwatch. Not all are equal, but you can see the clear evolution of style with most of the classic albums from this period. I enjoy several albums after that, but I'd say that's the golden period... my guess is most responses in this thread would fall somewhere in between these two...perhaps a shorter period for some compared to others depending on preference, but those are the bookends where most would fall. You're not going to find someone who says A through Dot Com or something like that, LOL :)

Bananas&blow and CrombyMouse like this.
  4. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Aqualung through Songs From The Wood.

For the first three albums Jethro Tull was growing musically--expanding their vocabulary and improving on their musicianship. While This Was, Stand Up and Benefit are all solid releases it was with Aqualung that all of the pieces fell together in glorious fashion.

From there, the band would continue pushing their boundaries forward with each succeeding album sounding different from the prior. And yet they all sounded like Tull. Songs From The Wood represents (for me) the last time Tull would have something new to say AND say it in the form of high quality songs from first track to last. For the most part, the albums that followed all had their strong points, but the band had pretty much said all it had to say.

CrombyMouse, Jack and bootbox like this.
  5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

This is probably a fair comment, even though I like much that came after SFTW. I think that's where I.A. found a 'holding pattern' which sustained him for the next couple of releases, before he really decided to move on.

I still maintain that the reception of Passion Play caused Ian to lose confidence and rein back his ambitions - hence, the retreat to shorter songs with the occasional epic. I think Tull were ready to move into post-rock territory after PP but the critics stopped that.

pexie and DPM like this.
  6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

This Was
    up to
    Aqualung
    And the singles, etc. found on Living in the Past..
    (Get the reissues of these first four albums by Wilson)

BNell, MrCJF and fenderesq like this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That's my list, precisely although, while the music isn't as great, I'd bookend Too Old To Rock and Roll in there. It still "feels" like part of the progression which began with Benefit while a distinct left turn was made with Songs From The Wood.

Mickey2 likes this.
  8. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I'll go "This Was" through to "Stormwatch" while omitting "A Passion Play" for it's intended "wrench in the works" type of off road antics.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  9. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Their catalog is large and very hard to pinpoint a golden era with so many great LPs with some pretty good experimental albums sprinkled in I enjoy JTs discography all the way through.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'd say This Was all the way to the Tull Christmas Album. :D

11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

:righton:

showtaper and pscreed like this.
  12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

For me, the classic period is between Stand Up and Songs From the Wood. Songs... articulated the British folk music and humour that underlays Tull's style - no underlying Blues roots.

Note the absence of A Passion Play and Too Old.... Passion never gelled for me (even after I recently got the outtakes disk on Nightcap). Too Old... is not a bad album, but to me seemed as if it was fulfillling a contract obligation, and didn't have a lot of Tull characteristics about it.

I let go of my Tull obsession after Songs. Recently got Heavy Horses, thought I should give it a go given that it is the second part of the trilogy starting with Songs. It's certainly good Tull, but not on my list because it's where my Tull journey ended.

No matter what individual albums are/aren't in the submitted lists, the classic Tull period certainly produced a string of extraordinary and unique albums.
    1. Stand up
    2. Benefit
    3. Aqualung
    4. Living In The Past (compilation of odds and ends, but still very strong)
    5. Thick As A Brick
    6. War Child
    7. Minstrel In The Gallery
    8. Songs from the Wood

13. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Stand Up thru Thick

14. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

“Sunshine Day” thru to the last track on Stormwatch. And every single, b-side and outtake in between.

These Steven Wilson remix + extras/book size reissues must be the greatest archival series in the modern age...

15. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

For me the "Golden Era" is really the "Golden Decade" 1968 - 1978. I think Storm Watch is the end of the era. If 11 concecutive years of excellent releases isn't Hall of Fame worthy, what is?

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Stand Up to Heavy Horses

Stormwatch never quite connected as well as the others with me. Hoping Wilson changes that.

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I really enjoy their debut album, but it seems like a different band from the classic model we all know and love. My own golden period for Tull runs from Stand Up through War Child (though not quite as great as the albums that preceded it, I still find a lot to enjoy here, particularly in its expanded form). I recognize that they still made some quality work after this, particularly on releases like Minstrel in the Gallery and Songs from the Wood, but I don't relate to those albums as much myself.

18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Stand Up to Heavy Horses

19. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I love Jethro Tull's first decade ('68 ~ '78) and have most of it, but I think the "Golden Period", for me anyway, would have to be Stand Up through Living In The Past. That's the core to my mind.

20. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Yeah, at the time "Crest of A Knave" felt like a return to (an earlier) form with songs like "Farm On the Freeway," with its prog-ish mid-section, and "Mountain Men." A higher % of older songs started returning to the repertoire with that tour, too, probably the most since '79-ish. The "A" & "Under Wraps" setlists were fairly miserly with the back catalog. Even if they did play "Serenade To a Cuckoo" on the latter and "Skating Away" on both...I never saw either again.

Neonbeam likes this.
  21. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

This Was to Thick As A Brick...

workhorse likes this.
  22. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

There’s 20-30 minutes of very strong music per year between 68 and 82. About 50% of this is non album material. Hours of goodies to listen too. No other band has this amount of quality tunes. No band :righton:

The Hud, BrentB and antiqueguy19001 like this.
  23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

For me, no way their golden period wouldn't include Songs from the Wood/Heavy Horses/Live--Bursting Out. Those are my three favorite Tull albums period.

24. antiqueguy19001

antiqueguy19001 Forum Resident

Easy question for me.

Everything between Stand Up and Heavy Horses is their golden period in my opinion, maybe even Stormwatch too, which I find to be a great album. I really enjoy their debut album, This Was, too, though it is too different from their other stuff the be included in their "Golden Period".

Terrapin Station likes this.
  25. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I will say from This Was thru Stormwatch. Stormwatch completes a "trilogy" if that counts for anything?
    This Was has a lot of the Tull roots. And there are some tracks that later became live "jam" tracks.

Terrapin Station and ribors like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.