Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOTRNR is brimming with melody! "The Pied Piper" is one of the most sublime and richest melodies of their entire catalogue...

I didn't like this album or what it "stood for" at first, upon release. Many years after that I rebought it and went Wow!!

2. I have no problem with Ian's recycled themes as I love songs like Salamander and anything recycled that adds some more Tull magic to the end result is fine with me. Some melodies are not top drawer (Bad Eyed and Loveless, Big Dipper and Taxi Grab come to mind) but others are very nice, such as the Title Track, Dead Or Alive, From A Dead Beat..., Salamander and Pied Piper.:)

3. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Because no one wants to listen to a rock album where the band claims they are to old to be doing what they're doing. I even saw them on this tour and I still didn't want to buy an album claiming that (to be fair I was only 17). I just bought it now because I knew if I waited i would be in the same situation I am with Songs from the Wood (another album I didn't like and so didn't buy the book release and am now bemoaning that). I now think its a good album. Don't know what I would have thought when I was 17. The cover still looks embarrassing though.

Mainline461 likes this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

16 track to my recollection. Whereas the original album was 24 track.

I prefer the rerecording by far.

folkfreak and JediJoker like this.
  5. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Chequered flag, Salamander, Pied and Deat beat are the ones I like too. Add Cartoon, Traveller, Ragtime and Cigar(full) and it’s another Tull goodie :cool:. Too old and Crazed are the last 2 to finish off what could have been a cool album

Pete Puma likes this.
  6. For me, "Bad Eyed and Loveless"'s melody, the melody that stands out, is what Ian plays on his guitar. It's sublime! The sung line is secondary to me.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  7. It's a hard melody to follow. Maybe that's why I dismissed it so readily. I still like the song.

8. Unless I'm wrong, it's not what it's about. It's the character of Ray Lomas who is, in the story, too old for that (to begin with).

In spite of some of Ray's traits, and the front cover where it IS Ian, I think the character has very little in common with Ian Anderson... in spite of loving bikes of course. IA never even liked rock and roll I believe.

9. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

But what about Charlie Parker?:hide:

10. I ignore that, but he might have been more into the blues than rock. Possibly jazz?.. ...But it's the "Dead beat" character who whines about all that stuff, ain't it? :O)

11. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Bad eyed is Tull weakest track of 70s. Quiz, Dipper, Taxi just average for Tull standards

12. Kim Olesen

Some of my fave tracks. But the world would be boring if we all had the same taste in music.

13. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Its not what its really about. But you never know that unless you buy the album and listen to it. The only JT album less popular than this one with my friends was PP (you can probably guess why).

anth67 likes this.
  14. Old Zorki II

Yep. As well as about Rene Magritte and forgot who else ))).

15. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Too Old... is fine - but it's still the weakest of the '70s LPs. If not that, then what? And "Salamander" is a strong track but a bit too reminiscent of "Cold Wind to Valhalla" for me.

16. That's true, but the opening part of the song only.

17. Old Zorki II

I do not know.. I am in minority, but Passion Play's second half, is super boring for me. I will take Too Old over it any time. :hide:

slipkid likes this.
  18. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:tsk: You must retire your avatar at the next meeting.

I was 20 going on 21 when Too Old was released, I thought I was done.
    Most of all we pray that you may come back next week!

Old Zorki II and ParloFax like this.
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You know what? I worked on the stuff only what, 3 years ago, and I don't even remember... :laugh:

Kim Olesen and Norco74 like this.
  20. Old Zorki II

I know I signed myself a death warrant, I know....

21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks, as I have been putting this Book Box Set off the past 2 years, but just bought it before this Title also disappears from the usual online sellers.

Plan9 likes this.
  22. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I think you need a bigger chair to hide under - I for one am with you on that and know plenty of other Tull fans who feel the same way. I hate APP. I like Too Old though.
    :hide: :hide:

Rigsby and xj32 like this.
  24. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I really have grown to love Too Old For Rock And Roll especially listening to the 40th anniversary box set.

slipkid, Haggis Wampovich and Plan9 like this.
  25. Kim Olesen

OT: Know the feeling. Despite being a guitatist i’ve been on many albums as a session keyboard player, and since there is often a gap of up to a year between my sessions and the album release, i often cannot remember that i even played the parts i hear myself playing when i finally get a copy of the album.

Plan9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.