Jethro Tull – Stormwatch remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PROGGER, Jun 11, 2018.

1. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Hrm, also missing SFTW

So, if I'm not crazy, this is the list?

AQUALUNG
    BENEFIT (small box)
    HEAVY HORSES
    MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY
    A PASSION PLAY
    SONGS FROM THE WOOD
    STAND UP
    STORMWATCH
    THICK AS A BRICK
    THIS WAS
    TOO OLD TO ROCK N ROLL
    WARCHILD

Somehow, not quite sure how, I missed picking up SONGS FROM THE WOOD... :(

If there's someone with a copy they don't need, uh, give a friend a shout....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, basically all the Tull albums from 1968 to 1979.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    JediJoker likes this.
  3. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

The only one I’m missing in book form is Thick as a Brick.

Fortunately, some nice people on Amazon are selling copies for as low as $460! (sigh)

4. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Hah, NOT the Nazi site... :)

Edited... And, yeah, have This Was.

How the hell did I miss out on SONGS :(

and, to your point, it's basically all...but not all, which is confusing.

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

As I said it's all the studio albums from 1968 to 1979 (if you're thinking Living In The Past that's a compilation).

JediJoker likes this.
  6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Dave also said as much in the Classic Artists DVD.

I wonder if part of that was resentment that Dave wasn't John Glascock. I know John's death hit Barrie really hard. In the aforementioned DVD, Barrie seemed to take a swipe at Palmer too, saying that Palmer had taken Jeffrey Hammond's place as Ian's sidekick "and sometimes stooge."

7. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Bummed that my Amazon UK order was delayed, but I went and ordered it from Grooves (who I had never heard of until this thread.... hope they don’t disappoint!).

As to the always topical question of “how many more of these will they do”, they can count on me to buy every single one of them.... even Rock Island (which I thoroughly loathe), LOL. But seriously, I hope they at least do A and Broadsword. An Under Wraps/Walk into Light combo pack would be interesting too.... and if they get that far we know Ian loves Crest, so that’s a definite possibility. And at that point, just do them all :). Heck, I keep hearing selections on Deep Tracks from Catfish Rising, so why not?

Runicen and The Hud like this.
  8. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I've been buying from them for years with no problem. But don't expect to see a package in your mailbox in just a few days. They ship free from Germany. But it will show up in 12 days or so.

RubenH and ribors like this.
  9. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident Thread Starter

I want Wilson to mix the original drum tracks. He likes to keep things original. Reduce the high and low frequencies a heap and you will enjoy the sound

10. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I miss Barrie's reminiscing input on this one. Wonder if it's just too painful a memory for him (and/or, if you can't say something nice and all that).

11. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

How about putting 'em both out? Plenty of room on a multi-disc set. At the very least, one version could be smuggled onto the DVD.

12. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I want an edition with both. Album as is remixed. Album with real drums remixed.

13. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Haven't we been through this? Wilson replaced the electronic drums on his second Porcupine Tree album 'Up The Downstair' in 2004 but you don't listen to anything past '80 something right? :rolleyes:

Galeans and JediJoker like this.
  14. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

ImportCDs came through on delivery for me (though I really need to stop cheaping out on the postage - it's pretty painful waiting for Media Mail to arrive after the shipping notification! :laugh:).

Just started playing the remix. This may be the first time the remix has immediately won me over from the first few notes. I never hated the original album, but it's clear now exactly how much detail was buried. Bit like a dusty mirror or something. Still plenty of post-apocalyptic vibe to spare, but now it's much more clear. Looking forward to digging into the full set, but I'd say the remix of the album proper is already worth the price of admission. :D

Oh yeah, and count me in for this series of re-releases continuing up to Dot Com. The more, the merrier! They've delivered great value for money, told the story of each album in series, and unearthed plenty of treasures along the way to sweeten the pot. Definitely keep this rolling!

tms766, ti-triodes, Mirsset and 6 others like this.
  15. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Just what I was hoping to read about the remix. For decades I felt like that "dusty mirror" was obscuring some great sounds on the master tapes. Now I can't wait to receive my copy!

Runicen and footlooseman like this.
  16. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Yeah I would expect no less, assuming they did the re-recording thing. Obviously would want the original drums remixed as well. I’m sure some magic could be worked there. I tend to think it’s a pipe dream though - the re-recording. Seems like a lot of work to put into something that would likely be only for the most die hard of die hards... but hey, we can hope!

Kim Olesen likes this.
  17. PROGGER

This is Tull not Porcupine wee :cool:
    I generally stop around 1983. But Tull I went all the way.

akiuas likes this.
  18. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

Be patient, search diligently, and you're likely to get lucky eventually. I finally nailed down my Thick As A Brick just this past March from an Amazon marketplace seller for a quite reasonable $50. I knew I was taking some risk on condition, but it arrived in perfect shape and even had the replacement disc.

Don't lose hope.

19. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Listening to the Live in Den Haag show. Other than a few tape glitches, it sounds really good to me. More importantly, at least for this old fool, it takes me right back to when I was merely a young fool, seeing Jethro Tull in concert at the long gone McNichols Arena a long time ago. I miss those days.

20. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I think Grooves changes prices more often than DD & Amazon combined. Currently at an all time low of $37.45 USD delivered with a 2-3 week delay. I am tempted, but I like to wait a day or 2 to see what else pops. Of course, by than Grooves will have raised their price! I did notice yesterday that while this is in the upper 40's on Amazon, Heavy Horses was all the way down to $28.

21. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Yes, me too. I trust Grooves. I don't trust either postal service, but never had an issue with Grooves.

22. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

I would really like to know what exactly did IA said to Dave. :)

23. PROGGER

yeah both wouldn’t hurt as long as the original is remixed. I think there will be a double album here too. It’s a fairly long album as it is

24. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

25. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Of course I'm not jealous of those who are already opening theirs……..much!!!

akiuas, PJayBe and GRompre68 like this.