Jethro Tull – Stormwatch remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PROGGER, Jun 11, 2018.

1. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Cheers. I'm annoyed I missed out first time, and swear I bought it... IT WAS ALL AN ILLUSION...

2. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

My set arrived yesterday and cost me a real fortune.
    The remix sounds fresher than the original mix, without loosing the gloomy feeling of the album. Tonight, the extras.
    I thought the book essay was not bad but lacked something in comparison with the other books from the series. IMO, one does not really understand the definitive reasons for the split and there ain´t too much about other characters or themes related to the Stormwatch era/recording.

3. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

I ordered first from Amazon (US), but because I've gotten burned before...and with what 2nd hand prices command ...I ordered from Amazon.uk. Without cancelling my original order. :winkgrin:

I think I'll keep the delayed UK on order and give someone the buddy deal when these go OOP.

4. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

FYI, for everyone who keeps sending people to the links at Import CDs [ https://www.importcds.com/stormwatch-the-40th-anniversary-force-10-edition/190295471804] and Grooves Inc [Grooves Inc. ], Import CDs now has it listed as "Backorder" and Grooves Inc. says "Product Not Found!".

Price-wise, when you deduct the VAT and consider no tax, Amazon.uk with shipping comes to $37.51 which is still just about the lowest price, even with the annoying delay (and as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, this is happening more frequently with them also mentioning the Dukes of Stratosphere which came out last Friday in the UK and this Friday in the US, but now the UK page says delivery in "1 -2 months." In this case, even with the VAT and tax discounts, it was only a $2 difference so I cancelled my UK order and switched to the US).

5. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I don’t know, I feel like the reasons for the split were pretty clearly laid out. I don’t know that there is a single, definitive reason like you’re looking for, rather a number of factors that are all spiked out in the text, including a general fatigue, growing rifts between the band members, John’s illness and death, Ian’s desire to move in a new direction (I didn’t realize that like A, Stormwatch appears to have started, at least tentatively, as maybe an Ian solo project), and more. It’s typical. There rarely is a single root cause of things like this.

Pete Puma likes this.
  6. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Wow, so only one week after release and this thing is already (mostly) sold out?
    Is that a record for these book-packages?

7. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Amazon's been sketchy lately - I ordered SFW book from them, then they kept delaying it on me (even though it was "in stock" when I ordered), and after a few weeks, they finally canceled the order on me saying they couldn't get it in, after everyone else was out of stock too, leaving me s-out-of-luck, without the SFW book.

9. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:cool: Another best in 5.1.

10. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I’ve also noticed this, especially in the last 6 months.

They list stuff, pull it, out of stock... no wait!... in stock, slipped date, you’re getting your pre-order on Tuesday but if you order it today as a new order we can have it to you on Monday.

Just kind of strange stuff.

Plan9, ParloFax and sound chaser like this.
  11. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I joined amazonuk prime to get stuff like this on release day, hopeless.

Anno and JakeKlas like this.
  12. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

Still available on amazon.de for 39.99€.

13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Even though less polished and slightly distorted at places i like the sound of the Stormwatch tour soundboard better than any of the live sets that were remixed for previous sets. They sound SOOOO dull in comparison. And this soundboard shows that it was not because what came through the mics were dull sounding instruments.

14. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

I thought the absence of notes from Steven Wilson was odd. Or is this not the first one to not have anything from him in the booklet and I just can't remember?

I definitely got the impression there was a lot of holding back when it came to discussing the split.

15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I think this is my favorite of the anniversary sets.

The combination of strong unreleased tracks, and the live set where they do 7 of the Stormwatch tracks is tough to beat.

I am not sure why they put the disclaimer on the live discs, this concert destroys Bursting Out, which is a disaster.

smiley69, Glenn coates and Todd W. like this.
  16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I like bursting out. But in my oppinion no classic tull live release has really gotten the sound upgrade it deserves. Perhaps with the notable exception of the Sweet Dream mix on the new set.

17. cracksky

cracksky Forum Resident

Wonderful set. Live discs are great. Better than the Watchers boot. Associated recordings disc is worth the price of the set. Another great remix from SW.

BTW, my Dukes of Stratosphere set shipped from Import CDs today.

Dignan2000 and Glenn coates like this.
  18. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Yes and Yes. I couldn't agree more about the live recording.

The Hud likes this.
  19. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident Thread Starter

I noticed the snare isn’t as flat on this remix compared to Songs and Horses

20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Maybe the problem is the 2 CD remaster for Bursting Out. That is the only version I have heard, and I don't like it at all.

Sweet Dream does sound awesome on the new set. I have never heard that version before, but it is now my favorite version of Sweet Dream.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  21. I think the record is for The Kinks At The BBC which was not only sold out well before release but was only supplied to a few retailers leaving those who preordered from a retailer who didn’t get stock out of luck.
    Great set though.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  22. Twin123185

Twin123185 Member

Something’s On The Move had the ending on the Watchers on the Storm boot. The guitar solo was spliced using a 3rd Gen radio broadcast onto the soundboard tape. This was the only boot to have the solo. It was also the first boot from this show!

Galeans and Grassy Sound like this.
  23. Is Sweet Dream actually remixed on the new set?

24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm glad to see a huge enthusiasm about this release of one great Progressive rock album that was pretty overlooked in the past decades.

akiuas, Plan9, Glenn coates and 3 others like this.
  25. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

wait... what exactly is disastrous about Bursting Out???