Jethro Tull - the Steven Wilson remixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Jun 17, 2015.

1. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

maybe AEROPLANE will be included

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Perhaps there will be stereo mixes of all three songs.

3. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

While people tend to panic that SftW keeps hanging in the distance, with other releases stepping in its way, I do think that Songs will be released first prior to This Was. As for Heavy Horses, that can always be a 2018 release given its 4th year. Me, I'm just excited that This Was won't be left out - then again, why should it be left out what with all the hardbooks coming out?! ;)

tootull and dougb222 like this.
  4. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

well I can't wait for HH
    It's one of my faves.

"This Was" I'm sure will be nice but the 2008 double disc sounds awesome!
    there is 9 BBC recorded songs as well.
    I don't think the sound could get much better.
    however........I remain anxious

tootull likes this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

What worries me is that there was a reunion of the original band at some point well before GC died--that performance on a dvd would be pretty hokey.

6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Wasn't that on the Living With The Past dvd?

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

don't own it

8. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

It is. What kills me with that show is Ian Anderson's voice. Why sing those songs with the higher pitched voice he obviously can't do anymore? He originally sang those songs with a much deeper bluesy voice which he probably would have an easier time doing. Head scratcher that one...

Kim Olesen likes this.
  9. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Don't forget to give Mr Wilson a nugde about Broadsword :D Triple album with awesome drum track improvement :p

Dr. Bogenbroom, Bonddm, FVDnz and 2 others like this.
  10. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Just going from memory here so don't kill the messenger, but the last time anyone went looking
    for the Derek Lawrence tapes (Aeroplane, Sunshine Day, Blues for the 18th) they didn't exist.

For the true Tull crazies, Blues for the 18th was originally called Letting You Go and was recorded
    at the same session as Aeroplane (pre Mick Abrahams). Sunshine Day was recorded at another time
    (around March 1st) with the This Was lineup. Blues for the 18th was credited to Anderson-Barnard
    (Glenn Cornick).

Pretty sure Tull used the cleanest Sunshine Day/Aeroplane 45 single they could find for the box set stuff.......

tootull likes this.
  11. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

AEROPLANE was credited to Anderson/Barnard

tootull likes this.
  12. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The very reason i haven't been to any JT/IA shows since the 25th anniversary tour. It was just too painful to witness.

13. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I
    Don't know why they would include something by Jethro Toe on This Was.

Pete Puma, varitone and The Hud like this.
  14. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

For the sake of completeness:

Aeroplane: Barnard/Anderson
    Blues for the 18th: Anderson/Barnard
    Sunshine Day: Mick Abrahams

tootull likes this.
  15. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Maybe it´s better to leave a Bursting Out show alone for inclusion on HH.

FVDnz, Todd W., Geir and 3 others like this.
  16. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:cool: I agree!

dougb222 and Plan9 like this.
  17. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

while I agree, I can't help but think as the 70's moved along and Tull's career there is a lot more recorded concerts to share with us that we may not know about. If they planned to do a live album there has to be many more performances they recorded so they could choose they right ones to release an album.

DaveJ and tootull like this.
  18. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I was stunned when I heard Cross Eyed Mary. I like it but started to question my memory about that particular track. So I went to the flat transfer and my old vinyl and realized this new version was quite a change. I damn near blew the speakers out of the windows the first time I heard the Wilson mix! The bass ...... Boom!

Overall, I love these packages and regret not getting TAAB. I have the rest and am really looking forward to more!

FVDnz likes this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I do have a feeling that TAAB will be reissued in the not too distant future much like Aqualung that got re-released back in April. And of course, the potential updated edition will contain the correct master of the album thus erasing any butchery Peter Mew caused.

20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I really hope for an updated edition of TAAB as well. Like Todd68, it's the only one in the series that I lack, and what I'm reading about problems with certain discs and the uncertainty of whether I'd get the fixed or uncorrected disc in a used version is keeping me from pursuing buying it from the third party market, especially for more than original list price.

Craig.

ibis, fredblue and Bonddm like this.
  21. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Exactly! I considered a purchase but am a little concerned about the faulty discs. I hope FVDnz is right about a re... Reissue.

FVDnz likes this.
  22. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

OT: does anybody know what is going on with the A New Day facebook site and mag? No updates for two months now...

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

After having to pay $89.00 tonight to an eBay seller for TAAB, I thought it wise to order the 5 missing titles, while they're still priced fairly.

Stand Up - pre ordered
    Benefit - already here
    Aqualung - already here
    Thick As A Brick - shipping
    A Passion Play - ordered
    War Child - ordered
    Minstrel In The Gallery - ordered
    Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll - ordered

JulesRules, Runicen, FritzL and 7 others like this.
  24. Phil P

Phil P Forum Resident

Think you're right about the box set versions of Aeroplane - certainly the version on the 1991 'Derek Lawrence Sessions Vol.1' is a slightly longer edit, with more of the fade out being heard than on '20 Years' box.

25. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

I now have a few of these . . . "Stand Up", "Warchild", "Minstrel in the Gallery" & "Too Old To Rock n' Roll . ."

Would it be fair to say that, for the most part, Steven Wilsons' remixes are very faithful to the original mixes? From what I have heard, the only thing that REALLY stands out as being very different is the attenuated volume of Martin Barres' guitar parts during the verses of "Skating Away On The Thin Ice of A New Day" on the "Warchild"
    album.

To me, everything else on these 4 albums sounds nearly identical to the original mixes, just cleaned up and more polished sounding. Would you say that this is a fair assessment?