Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

What ever you do, PLEASE do not plug the trigger; it could backfire on you. :wave:

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have looked and looked for that credit. I will have to look right where you said.

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

4. tootull

Found at the beginning of the colour supplement.

5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, have to wait if gonna get this set as wanna glitch-free copy.

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

7. craig leonard

craig leonard Forum Resident

Only 5.1 on mine. Both Dolby and DTS mixes.

8. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

OK, OK, besides that I always felt that the poor old trigger may need some rest. :wave:

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Mine's arrived.

I only wish there'd been a Blu-ray Audio Disc for THICK AS A BRICK a la AQUALUNG. I prefer TAAB so much more. Anyway, looking forward to the 5.1 mixes.

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

It's probably not Steven Wilson's mix that is the problem with this being too bright, but rather Peter Mew's remastering.

11. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Spoke to folks at Capitol (or what's left of it). They brought the discs in (didn't manufacture here), and were unaware of the defect.

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Well as long as the 2 channel issues are correct, that's all I care about. But they should recall the 5.1 for the people who got them and replace them. Pretty shoddy quality control.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Okay, I was fortunate to listen to the 5.1 at a friend's who works for a music store. There is something seriously wrong with the disc.

Aside from the glitches, there is a very real problem with the cymbals, actually two problems: they are much too emphasized (which is an EQ problem, and the lesser of the 2), and they should absolutely not be that "swishy", like they have been MP3-compressed back and forth several times (starting around 6mn). What the hell happened there?

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just got my set, and I do agree that there are "issues" with the surround mix, but they aren't so bad as to mar my enjoyment of album.

Honestly, if I hadn't read that these glitches existed and are considered mastering/authoring defects, I might have just thought that was what was intended and leave it at that.

I did feel that the overall sound could have been more fleshed out, but it isn't so "thin" as indicated by others - but yes at times I felt the bottom end was a tad anemic.

If the issues are fixed, I will seek out a replacement (some how), yet as I stated, my enjoyment of the surround mix was not altered by a few minor (and to me they are minor) glitches on the word "down", or the swishy cymbals for a minute or so at some point in the 43:33 presentation.

15. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

gonna wait for the single red book Wilson remix CD for $9.99.
    the MFSL tides me over till then

16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Is this coming out? :confused:

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It lasts for more than 1 minute (closer to 5), and if you heard it like I do, you would be horrified. Or is that another defect not present on all copies? (unlikely I know)

Something more than the glitches at the beginning happened, this is not profesionnal audio. I think the mixes (or at least parts of them) were mistakenly compressed several times.

18. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goodie:

19. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Actually, that swishy-ness on the cymbals may be a sound effect (like flanging). It was fairly common back in the seventies--particularly during live shows.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

So you hear it too? Don't you think it is awful? It didn't sound like flanging to me, more like 64kbps MP3 compression if you see what I mean; or maybe the over-the-top EQ added is making it sound this way to my ears?

EDIT: my friend is telling me that he can only play DTS downsampled in 16bit/48kHz. Could it be that his player is causing this noise?

21. tootull

The swishy-ness is fine on the DCC & MFSL, after these no further brightness is required/needed.

Hey now. Good to read that I'm not alone. haha Adjusting EMIT tweeters. Infinity speakers are bright enough, dammit.

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Could someone with the required technical knowledge post a 30sec. sample of the 5.1 mix starting at 8:00?

23. tootull

I'm tired of the sound of the cymbals (5.1 mix) by the 7 minute mark. Give me a break. :laugh:

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

:laugh:

Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't several different bad batches of the disc...

25. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I think it's in the stereo mix too, but it is subdued due to the cymbals not being so up front. I have no problem with a sound effect as long as it's in proper context. With the surround mix it's too in your face. Really, something has to have gone very wrong somewhere along the production/manufacturing chain. What a shame.

I wonder if Steven has gotten wind of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.