Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

During the first drum break on Side 2, there is a little flute/bell part that plays, and it sounds as if it was edited in improperly, compared to the original mix.

1:45 - Original Mix

Compare that to the remix, at 1:49, the flute/chimes continue after the drum break ends. It sounds like a bad edit.

I've got this album committed to memory. It's not something that I'm interested in raising a stink about, it's a mix difference. I'm not terribly married to the mix, the rest of the thing's perfect. But I hear it every time I listen to the remix/5.1.

2. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

Why would it be? Only the DVD has been corrected.

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm going to take mine in this weekend and see if they can handle the transaction for me...we'll see.

4. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

Sad but true. Fans who are only interested in stereo are out of luck. This is such a discouraging and inexplicably unnecessary lost opportunity.
    Peter Mew is a disgrace and he should be ashamed of himself. :cussing:

duneman likes this.
  5. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Just asking, that's all :wave:

Since they went to the trouble of having a flat transfer of Steve's surround mix for the DVD, it's a shame they didn't do the same for the stereo remix redbook.

duneman and Robobrewer like this.
  6. Robobrewer

Absolutely true!:rant:

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's the glitches on the surround mix that prompted EMI to repress a corrected version. Since these aren't on the stereo version, only the 5.1 was changed. The fact that a flat transfer of the surround mix was used is just "icing on the cake" so to speak. EMI doesn't see the need the replace the stereo mix as well, unfortunately. :sigh:

8. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I am not sure how one goes about getting the replacement disc? Do I send it in somewhere? I am not too bothered, haven't listened to the surround mix, the hi rez stereo mix is awesome!

9. Robobrewer

Once again sad but true. The industry views the glitches as defective but harsh compressed mastering, which is viewed as a defect by us, is a good thing to them.:faint:

duneman likes this.
  10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Do the new DVD looks different than the defective one? or it's just the same green DVD?

In other words, is there any way to notice by sight that is the new DVD?

11. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I've been asking this question for weeks. My suggestion would be to just return it to wherever you bought it, tell them it's defective and ask for a refund. I didn't open mine and will be returning it to Best Buy.

12. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

I suggest you contact the merchant that sold it to you. Follow the normal procedure for buying a defective product.

13. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

Anyone in Canada know how to contact EMI for replacements?

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Contact Amazon Canada and they give you the contact address.

15. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Okay, I've got to admit that I'm confused. I am a two-channel stereo only guy. Can I buy this new 40th Anniversary and enjoy the stereo remix CD -- or is that flawed? Sorry, I'm just lost in all this banter about the DVD mix. If I just want the stereo remix CD is it good to go?

I don't know if this next part is within the forum boundaries so if a moderator sees it and determines otherwise, so be it. But does anyone have the Steven Wilson remix two-channel stereo remix and want to part with it -- just that disc without any packaging whatever? If yes, send me a PM and we'll work something out. Thanks.

16. Robobrewer

The CD will not change. All two-channel remixes on the 40th Anniversary release are, and will continue to be, the disgraceful Peter Mew mastering which has ruined Steven Wilson's work. :realmad:

MisterBritt likes this.
  17. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. So this isn't something I would want. I appreciate the clarification.

18. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I am from Hungary and I had ordered from Amazon UK as well. They sent me a new set and told me to keep the old one with their compliments :)

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I still haven't heard the stereo remix but apparently there are much more people happy with it than they were with the "mastered" 5.1 mix. It could be that the mastering on the stereo remix is less heavy-handed?

20. John76

John76 Forum Resident

So when is Amazon CA going to bite the bullet and fill the orders for the LP box set? My order was placed October 26. I see Amazon US has product and is shipping. Do we all need to complain at once?

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I ordered from Amazon Canada early on, but about two weeks gave up. There have been listed release dates on Amazon - the last was an early date in December, but it disappeared and I got fed up. A local store (of a regional chain) was selling the vinyl set for close to Amazon.ca's price. [I think I bought it for under $30 + tax.] So, I purchased it and cancelled my Amazon order.

At another local store belonging to the same chain I recently noticed they had the set priced at about $80. When I purchased my set I thought the the manager of that store gave me me a dirty look - I didn't understand why and thought maybe it was just my imagination. Now I think that he did give me a dirty look because he was about to reprice the item to $80, but I purchased it before he got around to doing it.

22. pigman

pigman Forum Resident

Sunrise in Canada mispriced them at $36 for the vinyl,when they figured out the mistke it went to $76.Luckily I got 2 sets.before they caught on.
    Aaron

23. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Finally got a corrected box from Amazon UK, arrived this morning.

Tim

24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yes, it was Sunrise. I purchased my set for $36 minus 20% with the "membership" card.

25. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

[Sorry, I'm repeating a previous post. I just re-read it and the first sentence is pretty sloppy. Too late to edit it. It should have been ...]

I also ordered the TaaB vinyl set from Amazon Canada early on, but about two weeks ago I gave up. Amazon.ca had listed definite release dates for the item - the last was an early date in December, but it disappeared and I got fed up, especially with marketplace sellers offering it for about $90 (IIRC). A local store (of a regional chain) was selling the vinyl set close to Amazon.ca's price. [I think I bought it for under $30 + tax.] So, I purchased it there and cancelled my Amazon order.

Unfortunately, I had the same experience with the Norah Jones vinyl box set. I ordered early with a good price. It has never been in stock on the Canadian site even though Amazon.com (USA) had it in stock. I found a store not too far away selling it for about only $20 more than Amazon.ca. So, I bought it there and cancelled my Amazon.ca order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.