Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Amazon CA does seem to be coming through on the lp set. :righton: to them!

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Amazon Canada has shipped the vinyl set that I ordered in October for 26.99.

3. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

I have chatted last week with someone at customer's support and they told me they were getting stock on January 4th, but she would do whatever she could to get it to me earlier... A day later, I got confirmation it was being shipped, and today it arrived to the country. I'll get my hands to it on Wednesday, though. Great way to start the new year!

4. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

It is not something that was left out, it is a part that was muted during the original mix. As it is now, it extends to where the band
    resumes and does not fit rhythmically or musically. It's a mistake.

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, I should have said "left in" I suppose.
    Again, you might think I'm an apologist, but I don't hear it as something particularly detrimental to the music.

6. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

My vinyl arrived today and looks/sounds brilliant - that is until the very end of Side 2: "...thick as a <POP CRACK> brick."

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

7. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

TAAB is also my favorite Tull album.

But, after seeing the TAAB concert this year, I enjoyed the TAAB2 part more than the TAAB part. But, I enjoyed the "Locomotive Breath" encore even more.

So, that led me to recently purchase the 2-CD 40th Anniversary Special Edition of Aqualung. I'm going to be involved with that for quite awhile. Maybe by the time I get ready to set Aqualung aside, there will be some new developments with the TAAB stereo edition.

Or, maybe not.

I've gotten to where I shy away from purchasing these re-mixed/remastered classics early on. I want to wait awhile to see what defects, and ultimate corrections surface. Grand Funk's Mark, Don & Mel for instance.

An audiofile flat transfer edition should become a standard offering for re-released classics. But what do these Multi-National Conglomerates care about most anyways??

8. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I just wanted to say the same thing. It is a NEW mix. So the mixing engineer may have new ideas. He does not have to follow the original mix faithfully. Perhaps that is why the original mix was also added to the set. (See the ELP and Tarkus sets also released in 2012.) So one can go back to the original if one prefers that.

9. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

Yeah, like I said, I was just curious about it. I'm not complaining.

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My new set arrived from amazon U.K. yesterday and I put the old DVD and the corrected one side-by-side.

The corrected DVD has a straight horizontal line printed underneath the type on the right side of the disc label; the defective DVD has no "underline."

Otherwise, everything appears to be exactly the same.

Rock Stamberg

jerrygene and duneman like this.
  11. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

My set arrived in the biggest box I've ever seen.
    12 inch h by 12 inch w by 30 inch d

Getting the materials in and out of the box is difficult. Especially the book.
    Hold it upside down and shake, and diagonally forcing the book back in first

Saw the tour as well and it was nice to have the lyrics and insights

I do miss Martin Barre

Just a tad bright on taab2 side 1

Well done and oh canada

Wish aqualung would have had the lp/book option

I'm content with my Minstrel,sftw, horses lps

12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Just sent an email to EMI for a replacement disc. Let's hope this solves the problem once and for all.

13. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

That is correct. I am from germany and got my replacement DVD before christmas from EMI germany. Bought the set from amazon.de . The old, defective DVD does not have the underline.

Dirk

14. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Sorry for asking but havent actually followed this topic too close fro some time.
    Anyways, does the release now have corrected disc if you get it from Amazon.co.uk or any similar retailer?

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Amazon U.K. Is now shipping corrected sets. Don't know about anywhere else.

Playing my corrected DVD right now. Sounds great. Finally.

Rock Stamberg

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I just received an e-mail back from EMI customer relations & my replacement DVD will arrive in 2-4 weeks. :>)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Super_Slick

Super_Slick Forum Resident

I've being waiting 2 weeks for Amazon.co.uk to get back to me. They finally did and explained that all new stock is corrected but offered no advice on how I was going to receive my replacement. I contacted them and guess what? It's out of stock with no expected date for when it will be back in.

I am returning the damn thing now and will not bother again. Never felt more let down with a new release and, surprisingly, with amazon.

18. craig leonard

craig leonard Forum Resident

Got the same e-mail.

19. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Just got a reply from Amazon.FR : I've return them the cd/dvd set and they'll refund... It's up to me to find a way to get the new one... Being out of stock at both amazon UK ad Burning Shed, it's almost impossible to find. Really disappointing not to have EMI able to send a correct dvd in every country (I haven't got any reply to my emaail to EMI France). I'll keep an eye when it's back in stock if ever it is one day.

20. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I received the corrected new set from Amazon UK as a replacement today. The surround mix sounds a little better now but still it is such a missed opportunity as it would have been so great to have in a lossless format like DVD-A or SACD.

21. Michael W.

Michael W. Well-Known Member

Seems to be simpler to contact EMI directly, here in Germany at least. I used their contact form and linked and cited the j-tull.com web site information. Got a quick answer within a few hours and the advice to send back the old DVD together with a print-out of the email. I did this on the 22nd and got my replacement (with a hand-written note) on the 29th. Not bad at all. And the DVD has the underline, thanks a lot for this hint.
    So it may be a way to contact EMI directly in other countries too.

Michael

22. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Me three!

23. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Unfortunately amazon.uk no longer has the corrected discs in stock, after confirming to me that the discs they had in stock were the corrected sets. During the 1.5 weeks it took them to get me this confirmation, the "in-stock" corrected discs sold out! Typical....

Also sent an email to EMI Canada re corrected disc sets, as advised by amazon.ca (to which I returned my defective set for refund) who didn't have a clue about the problematic disc, & received no response.

Looks like I'll have to wait until amazon.uk gets them back in stock rather than contacting other amazons (.com, .de, .fr, etc) to ensure they are selling corrected discs & watching their in-stock discs disappear while waiting for a response...rant...

24. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

What about Amazon US? Does anyone have contact info?

25. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I'm going to send EMI's email address a picture of the receipt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.