Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No not a single one. But thanks for letting us know that it was once again available.

2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

It was discussed at lenght under the Heavy Horses thread.

Perhaps a good idea to follow the HH and This Was threads as they seem more active than this one.

3. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Maybe it would be a better idea to stay on topic, then the relevant info would be in the right thread...

kevin5brown, duneman and Norco74 like this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Usually when that kind of info is known, it does show up in relevant thread, not under an entirely different album, and era of the band.

I did manage to score an Aqulung set with BluRay and vinyl for a very low price. And TAAB is the only other one I want to own a physical copy of.

I will get it eventually. Maybe a copy with incorrectly disc will turn up cheap.

Norco74 likes this.
  5. Norco74

I agree that everything should be in its right place. Point is to increase the odds of getting misplaced information. That’s all. ;)

6. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

I have one spare copy of THICK AS A BRICK CD+DVD

PM me if you would like to grab it.

7. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

TAAB Wislon remix on vinyl is absolutely great, it also has 12" 30 page book, a beauty to behold. Amazing value if ask me, even if you have many other editions.

DaveJ, tinnox and Plan9 like this.
  8. Norco74

A bit disappointed by the Wilson-Mew TAAB mastering on DVD which I find too bright. Not a go to version for me.

My first impression of the Steven Wilson remix/remaster from HDT is ok with some sections been better than others but overall a nice alternative but not definitive version. The original flat transfer is still sweet to my ears.

A proper 50th anniversary release will be welcomed IMO.

9. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Having read pretty much this entire thread, I figured I should add to the confusion: on Amazon.co.uk, they list this standalone 2015 reissue CD version:

www.amazon.co.uk/Thick-As-Brick-Jethro-Tull/dp/B00WMB23Y6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546965121&sr=8-1&keywords=Jethro+Tull+Thick

If you scroll down a bit on the page, there are customer photos of the release, and not only does the clear tray card have a vertical spine on the left that reads, "The 2012 Steven Wilson Stereo Remix," but the actual CD itself also states this. And, it's only £5.99 (but oddly, states this item can't be shipped to the US). So, given this was the same year the Mew-less mastering came out in Japan on the now out-of-print SHM release, could they have quietly slipped out the un-Mewed version as a CD in the UK as well three years ago, three years after the book edition and after all the complaints? Or is this just the 2012 Wilson remix with the same Mew mastering? The fine print in the photo of the back cover does indeed say ©2015. I apologize if this has been answered already. My brain began to melt about halfway through the 57 pages with all the discussions of the the CD, the defective DVD etc. etc.etc.. Thanks.

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Here is the same disc on the US Amazon if anyone wants to find out which version this is:

Thick As A Brick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WMB23Y6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cbonCbBKP0ZDQ

Keith V likes this.
  11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I just matched the ASIN from Amazon UK to find the Amazon US Thick As A Brick. I don't have that information for any of the other discs. I bought the box sets, myself.

Keith V likes this.
  13. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Beware. For the first few sets there weren't standalone CDs at the time of their release (Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, Benefit, A Passion Play).
    They were all released later in May / June 2015.
    So I suppose this CD is just standard Mew mastered stand alone CD.
    I don't have these, so can't check ASIN, but they're not SHM, so 99,9% Mew-mastered.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  14. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Remix sounds fine to me. I don’t have bionic hearing :D

Keith V likes this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

It’s a good remix for sure. And I can’t tell about the poor mastering like many here. Some weird choices near the beginning of Side 2 with the drum sound.
    To me Aqualung is the one that really benefits from the remix.

mmars982 likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Well, guess what: in 2015, they also released Aqualung as a standalone CD also for £5.99, and even printed on the front cover: "The 2011 Steve Wilson Stereo Remix":

www.amazon.co.uk/Aqualung-Steven-Wilson-Jethro-Tull/dp/B00VKS9OW6/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1547017569&sr=1-4&keywords=Jethro+Tull+Aqualung

Remember, especially in the case of Aqualung, this was four years after all the complaints, including publicly from Wilson, and I would assume Ian knew of the issues as well. I would think they would have to come to Ian to get approval to issue these single disc editions in 2015, and I would expect Wilson's dissatisfaction had to be known both to Ian and within the company. Obviously, in that same year, the Japanese label got the Wilson remix/non-Mew mastering from somewhere to issue their SHM version, presumably from the UK and whoever owned Chrysalis in 2015 — Universal? Parlophone? — so it would seem to me there's a chance the Aqualung and TAAB standalones MIGHT be the non-Mew masterings.

Living in the US, I can't order these from Amazon.co.uk for some reason, and the US Amazon situation is a bit odd: Amazon themselves aren't selling the single disc version — was it actually even issued here in 2015, or is it a UK import? — and the 3rd party dealers are asking $24 and up, so the £5.99 UK version is the one to check out, including to see if the credits in the 24-page booklet have been altered like they were on the Aqualung Adapted 2016 book edition to say, "Remixed AND MASTERED [emphasis mine] by Steven Wilson." The only factor that makes me a bit pessimistic is, you'd think Wilson or someone in a forum, etc. might've mentioned the correct versions came out back in 2015. It's a bit odd no one here seemed to have been aware of these until I brought this up yesterday.

Given that we do already have the correct "as Wilson intended" master of Aqualung in the 2016 reissue, it would be greatly appreciated by many here if someone — ideally someone who already has the 2012 Mew-mastered book version — could get a copy of this 2015 TAAB standalone reissue for about $7.60 and check the sound and booklet credits. Wouldn't it be ironic — but great! — if what so many of us have wanted has actually been available as a budget CD for over three years...

17. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Yes, both Aqualung and Thick as a Brick were released as standalone CDs in 2015. They weren't released as stand alone CDs at the time of the boxsets release.
    Both of them are mastered by Peter Mew. Only the SHM disc of Thick as a Brick and digital downloads are untouched by Peter Mew (and ofc Aqualung Adapted Edition).
    This was the topic in 2015 when we rant about the fact that these standalone CDs were still released with mastering by Peter Mew even when they released digital downloads without his mastering in same time frame.
    Steven Wilson himself had a post about this:
    SW remixes for Jethro Tull's 'Aqualung' and 'Benefit' available digitally - Steven Wilson

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Plan9 likes this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

^ That's correct.

19. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, frustrating and baffling as it is. There was their chance to correct the Mew mess ... and they blew it. So I guess: hope for 2022...

Keith V likes this.
  20. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Now Tootull should come here with a quote: "Now if you think Ray blew it,
    There was nothing to it."
    :)

tootull and Keith V like this.
  21. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

[​IMG]

22. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I agree the vinyl IMO is worth picking up.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  23. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:laugh:

Just a little touch of treble; just a little touch of bass;
    just a little flat transfer embedded in your deeeeeeeeee-luxe Brick;

24. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

They screwed him up as good as Mew.

Keith V, Mirsset and Bonddm like this.
  25. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way