Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I agree with you. Side 1 is great but Side 2 of TAAB I find a bit... boring, repetitive. :hide: A Passion Play has better themes and more variation over the two sides. That said, I do enjoy TAAB and I have ordered the 40th Anniversary edition.

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just got it in the mail, for the $26.99 that Amazon is charging I'd say this is a high value package. Great book and high res disc:righton:

3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Has anyone compared the hi res original stereo mix to other masterings?

4. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I know mine is hung up in a gas line somewhere.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Bought mine for $28 at a local store...can't wait to play the surround mix tonight!

6. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I was told NOT to buy this on my own as family wants to get it for my birthday.. which was the 20th of last month. I can't wait to listen to it whenever that happens. :laugh:

I wonder if the mix differences are the same on the surround mix.

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Happy Birthday. Mine was 10/20 also.

8. rd1

rd1 Forum Resident

Hello Maestro, there is a brief explanation in the credits, here goes;

A 96/24 DTS stream is essentially a 48k stream (to be backward compatible with all DTS decoders) with a 96kHZ extension able to be de-coded by the appropriate hardware/software decoders. All the flags (meta-data) are within the stream itself. Some Blu-ray players have what is called a True Master HD essential decoder that doesn't have the full compliment of de-coding options. This means that some players will show the audio specifications of the DTS 96/24 layer as 48kHz.

That's it, word for word.

My player (OPPO-95) says 96k.

9. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

:righton:

10. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I also have an Oppo 95. So you are saying that the Oppo 95 has the ability to extract and decode the 24/96 "packet" from the DTS stream? This is great information, I was going to call Oppo today and ask them. I have had the disc for a couple of days, and my birthday was yesterday, but with all of the family and hubbub around the house, I have not had a chance to play the disc yet. But man, the book is sure nice. I am off all week, so I hope to play the disc today.

11. anyone had any shipping info on the vinyl set from Amazon canada?

12. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

No, but I do see they've up'd the price to CND 74.99 now with a 6-9 week leadtime.

13. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Thanks for the explanation. I should have my copy today.

14. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Starting to get a little worried about our great deal from Amazon.ca...

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, in the past Amazon goofed up the price and never honored the orders by leaving the items on backorder forever.:shake: Plus, amazon USA has it in stock, which means Canada should have theirs in stock. They probably will wait it out until most people cancel, then you will see them in stock.

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Also, the similar case concerning the cheap deal on Amazon.ca with The Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie 4LP-set.
    Will they honor the price?

17. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

The newspaper seems to be the same as that in my UK Chrysalis copy. Though the sequence is jumbled and the book format does not suit it so well; but I think it is all there.

Tim

18. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

http://www.amazon.ca/Thick-As-Brick...80/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1348072308&sr=8-43
    The final "Yeah" was missing from the 25th anniversary edition too. You can hear the "Yeah" on the MFSL CD.

19. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

They haven't shipped my set as well... Well, I won't worry: if they don't ship it in a few days, I'll order it from EMI Canada, where it is selling for $30. Somehow that price makes me more confident amazon.ca will eventually ship them.
    And anyway, $80 for a 2LP set is way too much, even with the book included (Mellon Collie is a bit cheaper, having four LPs)

20. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

Me too. I just got this email from them...

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We wanted to let you know there's a delay with one or more items in the order you placed on October 30, 2012 (Order# 701-4936113-5501059).

Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition 2 LP"
    Estimated ship date: December 12, 2012

We will see...I am skeptical. :(

21. Import CD's has it in stock at $24.06 (US).

22. Thanks for checking.

So I gather then that the "Reprise Boss in Hotel Theft" piece, available AFAIK on the US/Canadian version only of the LP, is missing from it?

23. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

They couldn't afford to give us a lossless surround mix, but they can give us a useless glossy book? I don't care about books, I care about music. I haven't listened yet, my copy is just sitting on the kitchen table, mocking me.

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me too. I ordered when the price was 26.99 so I'm starting to think that this order will never ship.

25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Seems to me that you care about technical specifications more than you care about either books or music. Try listening to the disc ... then, if you don't like the sound quality, you can explain why DTS HD-Master Audio would have made all the difference to your enjoyment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.