Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:cool:
    I put the DCC & side two of the MFSL CD together on a CDR & a USB playing mostly in the car.

DementedAvenger likes this.
  2. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I would wait for the 50th Anniversary in 2022.

FVDnz, tootull and Keith V like this.
  3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:cool: The all cassette 'Express Rewind' edition. From Yeah to Really don't mind if you sit this one out
    My word's but a whisper your deafness a shout
    in seconds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonus book.
    [​IMG]

Too much lock down post. #1972

4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

At coffee as we are now allowed back in so going through all my watched threads. Like many I absolutely love Thick As A Brick and the original mix in my opinion should always be in print so hopefully they will do some kind of 50th.
    No matter what is happening it's always an album that makes me feel a whole lot better.

tootull and Keith V like this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This thread has me confused again. Have we confirmed there is no Mew-less Wilson vinyl currently available? And that is a potential hope for 2022?

At present, my only vinyl is form the TAAB 1/2 box.

Keith V likes this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The vinyl is mastered for the vinyl format and is not Mew's digital mastering.

JediJoker, FVDnz, tootull and 2 others like this.
  7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Thank you. So unless TAAB is remastered yet again, the TAAB 1/2 box mastering I have is the Wilson master. Appreciated.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

To be perfectly clear, it's not SW's master per se since he didn't master it for vinyl. Someone else did but it's unclear who, probably the cutting engineer at Optimal.
    Anyhoo the vinyl doesn't sound like the Mew digital mastering, and that's the important part.

9. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

My only issue is everyone's 5.1 setup is a little different. Everyone has speakers at different distances and different volumes, including location and volume of sub.
    Everyone who listens in 5.1 will (technically) be hearing a slightly different mix depending on setup.

My first listen to Abbey Road in 5.1 was... "Sounds very clear, but not quite right." I spent so long adjusting things so the album mix sounded balanced that by the time I was done, I didn't want to listen to the album anymore. :)

After everything, I thought... By making those adjustments, did I alter the integrity of the mix by essentially making my OWN 5.1 mix? :D

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Many think that the Abbey Road 5.1 is never going to sound right because it is not quite right. The Atmos mix is said to be much more satisfying.

And no, you should not have to expect that TAAB in 5.1 is going to sound different to each person that hears it. You set up your system and it should be ready to go. It should not be endless tinkering and adjustments. I think you are over-working it or you need some good matching speakers. Set it up and enjoy it. Some folks can't get into surround, that is all.

chaz, tootull and Plan9 like this.
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Hmmm. Surround should be exactly like stereo: identical speakers, equidistant and angled towards the listening position at ear level. (not taking subwoofers into account)
    If you need to tinker with your system, something's probably not quite right in your system, not necessarily in the mix.

stereoptic, chaz, FVDnz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

I am not that anxious to get a reissue of TAAB, but what about locating a live show recording with the full TAAB in all its glory?
    There were at least 2 recorded shws for FM broadcast during the june 1972 USA tour, and there is evidence there is some obscure 16 mm footage from Germany somewhere as well.

Schaut euch mal dieses Dokument an!

Bonddm, Keith V and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It's too bad that most rock acts of yore didn't produce professional video of live shows in their prime. I guess it's because their really wasn't a consumer end product like Blu-ray etc. Most of the recent live blu-ray discs are pretty good.

14. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Right. VHS and Beta tapes consumer products came at the end of the 70’s.

15. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Somewhere out there Gerald Bostock is proud someone bought that many copies of his work :D

PJayBe likes this.
  16. SyrinxTemple

SyrinxTemple Forum Resident

Plus actual film was much more expensive than using digital cameras today. Not to mention lighting for film was a whole different animal. Just check out how dark the Ziggy Stardust movie is.

Keith V likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.