Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have never heard the word "hot" refer to squashed dynamics. I always thought that the word "hot" referred to pumped-up treble. I do not think that the 5.1 mix of Aqualung is "hot." I think that it is dead, with no dynamics.

2. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I thought the cymbals were loud as well, but I liked it, it didn't seem harsh, especially compared to the original mix, where they were loud... in a box.

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I usually say "hot" when something is louder than necessary. It seems I'm not alone (see the "History" paragraph).

EDIT: BTW, I usually use "dead" when something is airless, i.e. no-noised or with rolled-off highs. :cheers: :laugh:

4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Anytime I see anyone on here complain about the dynamics of the SW Aqualung remix I point them to the vinyl. Best sounding version if Aqualung to these ears.

5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

While I'm still waiting to have this TAAB on my hands, I really enjoy 'Aqualung' 2 CD edition. The sound favours a bit cymbals, and I'd liked a bit more bass, but otherwise is a great mix. I think I'll find the same elements on TAAB, but ANYTHING will better the awful 25th anniversary remaster

:wave:

6. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Guy's
    I am a huge Steve Wilson fan! His 5.1 hi rez. Mix of Aqualung was amazing! The 5.1 DTS mix of Thick as a brick is not!:confused:

7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thank you very much for that very enlightening answer. :wave:

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

"Anytime I see anyone on here complain about the dynamics of the SW Aqualung remix I point them to the vinyl. Best sounding version if Aqualung to these ears."

I agree 100%. The Classic Records 200g reissue used to be my go to copy. I also have a MFSL pressing but the Wilson remix vinyl set the standard in my opinion.

9. jim mallett

jim mallett Active Member

sorry, these ‘glitches’ on both aqualung and TAAB are inexcusable…don’t they listen to the things they release? several times? the aqualung box was a ripoff, even without the glitches.

10. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Seems like the 5.1's are struggling with things. Very happy with the 40th Aqualung vinyl. No complaints. Anyone get the TAAB vinyl version yet?

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

In your opinion it was a ripoff. Lot's of folks are happy with it.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Got this by Lasership acting for Amazon late tonight. Couple of thoughts:

1. Spectacular packaging for $27 item. Really love the book and whole presentation.

2. Terrific sound on the CD. Clean and clear. Have not heard the hirez layers yet.

13. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree, and I've never been disappointed with a surround mix by Steven before.

In fact, before listening to the TAAB surround mix I had just finished listening to the King Crimson/Larks' Tongues In Aspic 5.1 blu-ray mix--which is excellent. There is warmth. There is dynamics, and the balance between the various channels and musical elements is fine.

In comparison the TAAB 5.1 is jarring. Indeed, it is too bright, and important elements of the mix in the surround channels sound a bit too low in level. Yet there are times when the cymbals almost take your head off. Everything seems discombobulated. Really, I'm having a hard time believing the same guy did both disks. I'm starting to wonder if maybe someone screwed up Steven's mix somehow during the making of this disk.

I have no real problems with his stereo remix.

That leads me to this: comparing Steven's stereo remixes with his surround mixes of the same titles you can tell the same guy did both. Steven's DNA is apparent whether it be 2 channel or surround. Not with TAAB. What a shame. I'm betting something got screwed up along the way.

Oh well, at least we have both the original stereo and a solid remix in high resolution.

14. jim mallett

i sold my box to amoeba. all the boxes were defective. no refunds or replacements have been offered. it was/is a rip-off, no matter how you look at it.

the glitches were HORRIBLE. my vinyl was fine too…but at 150 bucks thats some expensive vinyl.

least amoeba gave me a good price for it. lesson learned.

15. jim mallett

i see amazon already has complaints about this package having glitches…expect it to disappear for awhile (just like the FZ ‘grand wazoo’)

16. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

:confused: I thought it was brilliant.

17. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I'd been listening to the Anne Murray and the Ronnie Lane/Pete Townshend dual discs immediately before listening to the Thick As A Brick DTS.

It struck me how on my system just how perfect the dual discs sounded.

Thick As A Brick didn't sound quite as good, but I put that down to DTS vs lossless. A very slight metallic tinge to it if anything.

18. erikolsson

erikolsson Member

Rip-off vs. brilliant. Now, it's not easy to form an opinion out off forum posts ;)

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I wonder if the TAAB 5.1 mix was in fact NOT mastered, just like the ELP sets... meaning that it could be just the raw files handed to them by SW. That could explain the discrepancies...

Is there any credit for who did the mastering anywhere?

20. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I'm happy I haven't plugged the trigger yet. :rolleyes: OTOH, since they completely ignored the glitches (which, according to some owners, could blow out your tweeters, if not ears) in the much more expensive Aqualung set, I'm really curious if they will treat the buyers of the TAAB set differently...

21. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

OTOH ?:confused:

22. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

"OTOH" ("on the other hand") is used here in the sense that I'm not sure if I will ever plug the trigger on this new set. The price is mostly OK (and can drop), but I don't want a defective deluxe something. Still hoping for a better (and I think there should be more complaints sent directly to the manufacturers in such cases).

EDIT: I should probably add that it's only my personal view/opinion. If the glitches aren't on all mixes then some buyers may be fine (and not all of them may be interested in both stereo and multichannel mixes). My view of this box set is a perfectionist's one: it could have been a TAAB set to end all sets, but with those stupid glitches (provided they aren't on the source tapes) passed through increasingly frustrating QC, it isn't. How many times in my one and only life should I re-buy, replace and struggle instead of just living?

23. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

According to a comment at Amazon.com, EMI folks know about the problem and say that the glitches aren't a part of the mixes, they were introduced during the mastering/authoring. Also, future batches MAY be fixed, but there's currently no replacement guarantee for people who already bought the set... :sigh:

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Stealth mastering at its finest.

25. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

I found it!
    In small print under CONTENTS - Mastering at Abbey Road by Peter Mew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.