JETHRO TULL: Thick As A Brick 50th anniversary deluxe reissue this October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Progatron, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Not heard it yet, but that review is rather harsh. It's also contradictory, as it says you might not even notice the error unless you've heard the original thousands of times while claiming that this flaw is completely ruinous and makes this edition an abortion.

I suppose if it truly upsets the beat, then it is an error, but if barely noticed, that shouldn't make the remix a ruination. Or does it?

2. Dave Haladay

Dave Haladay Forum Resident

I also thought it was rather harsh. I played my copy yesterday before I saw this review and didn't notice anything. I'll have to give it another listen.

3. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I agree. Some people lack a sense of proportion.

I'll have to listen again, but I didn't notice anything off at that point, and I've listened to the album quite a lot, especially when I was a teenager -- which was a long time ago, but I have a good memory for music. I've noticed other minor differences in Wilson's mixes that annoyed me, such as the way Martin's lead guitar cuts off one note early at the end of "Son" on Benefit, or the missing pause in "The Gates of Delirium" by Yes. But I've listened to his mix of Thick as a Brick a few times (I have the HD download that was released a few years ago, and also the new LP) and it sounds fine to me.

4. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I think Son "benefits" extremely from the trimming at the end.
    It allways sounded unwanted to me on the original mix.

5. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

We can disagree about whether it's an improvement, but the real point is that it's a small difference, one that many people seem not to notice until it's pointed out (judging from past mentions of it around here), but I noticed it the first time; and yet I hear nothing in the remix of Thick as a Brick that jumps out at me the same way.

I've now compared the late-'90s remastered CD (where the relevant bit occurs at 14:05) and the HD download (at 3:25 in "What Do You Do When the Old Man's Gone/From the Upper Class"). There is a small difference in the track balances, but the flutes are all there. Unless the new LP is different (which I doubt -- the album hasn't been remixed again, has it?), the review is just wrong. Both mixes sound fine to me.

6. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

I agree. I just compared this spot on the original mix on the 1997 CD to the 2012 remix on the 2015 standalone CD and there a no flutes out of place. Everything is where it should be and when it should be in the remix.

StingRay5, Nycademon and Dave Haladay like this.
  7. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Also, that reviewer (on Amazon?) said the remix 'botch' with the flute parts occurs a little after Anderson sings 'I've got to set you straight'. However, despite having listened to the album thousands of times, that reviewer got the line wrong, Anderson sings 'I've got to put you straight'.

Lemon Curry, Plan9, StingRay5 and 2 others like this.
  8. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Guess we have to set and put that reviewer straight! Oh the irony :pineapple:

WhatDoIKnow, DK Pete and Geordiepete like this.
  9. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Good. Sounded normal to me too (comparing the new mix with original USA), glad I'm not missing anything.

10. Dave Haladay

I listened to the new vinyl copy of the 50th Anniversary Steven Wilson"Thick As A Brick" and then compared it to my original release from 1972. On my vinyl, the original 1972 pressing is lower in volume than the new 2022 50th Anniversary release. I set the volume knob on the first pressing listen and never moved it for both albums.

Geordiepete likes this.
  11. Dave Haladay

I just listened again to the new Jethro Tull 50th "Thick As A Brick" Half Speed Steven Wilson remix and it really sounded great. Excellent detail and on my system it has excellent dynamics.

Norco74 and Geordiepete like this.
  12. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

I think the whole amazon batch was warped... just got my replacement - it was even more warped! :(

man, still plays... not sure what to do...

v

13. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Everything as it should be on the remix on that particular part

Nycademon likes this.
  14. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I got my copy from Amazon it was fine. Not gloating about it just saying their not all bad from Amazon. Good luck I hope you get a good copy soon.

15. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

It’s not Amazon (mine was from Amazon and it’s fine), but maybe the Amazon warehouse that services your area? Who knows. I was going to suggest ImportCDs but it’s already back ordered. Good luck, I hope you find a good one!

Victor Martell likes this.
  16. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Bull Moose has them in stock now...
    - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

Victor Martell and Nycademon like this.
  17. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Sighhhh...29 pages. I don't have the energy. I'm sure the answer is in here, but my confusion/question is: I recall that after Steve Wilson remixing TAAB for the 40th Anniversary book set, Peter Mew remastered the CD and Wilson was less than happy as to how his remix sounded after Mew got done with it. But ... you could get the non-Mew remastered CD as a Japanese import, which I did. So: is this new reissue going to have the proper non-Mew CD as Wilson intended — the one released in Japan — or does anyone know if it will have the same Mew-mastered CD as the previous book version? Thank-you for your patience. :righton:

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Re the flutes - it is a remix and Wilson may have done this deliberately, so without asking him you can't confirm it's a screw up. He does change some things usually very subtle and this might be a compromise resulting from the way the original recording was tracked and mixed. Just saying there could be a reason for this. SW remixes are close but not supposed to be an exact repro of the original. Honestly I'm not one for picking up on these things as I listen to the recording as a whole rather than focus on the small details and tend not to do side by side comparisons (at least on initial listen). If it sounds good it is good and I'm very happy how this new half speed cut turned out.

WhatDoIKnow and Dave Haladay like this.
  19. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Will there be a single disc version? I’ll put it in my book set if different sounding than the 40th disc

20. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I have the 2012 Steven Wilson vinyl of this. Is there a real need to get this one?

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

You can buy the Steven Wilson-mastered single cd currently at many retailers to add to your bookset.

22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

You might like the analysis done by Michael at 45 RPM Audiophile. I bought the record because of this shootout review and I'm not disappointed.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  23. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I thank you, and I will buy.

Karmageddon likes this.
  24. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

I know a few users have already done this, but I've just done a side by side comparison to hear it for myself; there is literally NO difference at all with the flute's timing at that specific point (or even during that entire section) between the two mixes. The reviewer is just wrong. If anyone else wants to hear the comparison, I can upload it to Youtube or something.

25. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

If I have the 40th box set with 5.1 am I all set?