Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The closest I can think of is the King Crimson reissues, but I like the Tull reissues better. I am a bigger Tull fan, so I am probably biased.

footlooseman likes this.
  2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

At the risk of being unduly negative, I think the main disappointment of the Tull reissues is the lack of hi-rez surround, but for Aqualung.

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Not having gotten mine yet, but i agree. Jethro Tull shows the way when it comes to re-issues done right.

4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Hi-rez surround would be better, but I am thankful for what we are given.

cdash99 and Six Bachelors like this.
  5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Yes is close if not equal and King Crimson exceeds Tull IMO. Especially the last 3 boxes. Two CDs and two DVDs don't really match the 12+ CDs, two DVDs and 2 Blu-rays. I like Tull and Crimson about the same although there's more Tull I don't like the Crimson.

The Pink Floyd immersion sets were pretty good too.

6. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

F*bleep*k it! Mine won't come until 10-11 December, it seems... and I even preordered it. GRUMPH.

7. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

For sure. A great deal of care and attention has gone into these. The Yes reissues have hi-rez and are very attractive but I think that the liner notes, for example, are pretty rudimentary and disappointing. In each of the Tull sets, you get a book about the making of the album. On balance, I'd probably take that over lossless surround. It's a small sacrifice for a beautiful presentation.

The Hud likes this.
  8. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

From Amazon? Don´t worry, they display very overestimated arrival dates in order to reduce people´s complaints and replacement orders for late deliveries. That is my experience.

Dr. Mudd and Galeans like this.
  9. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Thank you! Yeah, it's an Amazon preorder. I hope it will come soon: I really look forward to this one. I'm sampling it on Spotify as we speak, but I'll post comments only when I have the box in my hand, as I want to see the HD version of the video and read the booklet before writing a review.

I really like this album, an underrated one for sure.

Pete Puma and Plan9 like this.
  10. I for one am greatful they did not waste resources and go blu-Ray to make space for hires 5.1 mixes. I get no benefit from that content and like these releases on DVDs.

Galeans likes this.
  11. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Waste resources?

12. Yes, I meant the expense associated with including a hires 5.1 mix in this set (utilizing BluRay).

Galeans likes this.
  13. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Those Yes releases fit way more content on one blu-ray than the JT releases on two DVDs.

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  14. To what effect? The extra content (hi-res) holds almost no interest for ME; also I can't rip the content off the Yes BDs making them even less valuable. I know some people love hi-res content and some have PCs set-up to rip encoded BD content -but not me on either count.

15. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

2016 - I am confused, as I today downloaded the JT Deluxe album hires, which is 36 tracks with every version I could want, which also confuses me while listening haha, but is a pleasant surprise, sounds good to me. I started whith the "heavy" albums, but like better Tull's early stuff.

16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Not having a PC setup is a bogus excuse. If you can't afford $30 go an external Blu-ray, how can you afford these releases in the first place.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  17. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Picked up my set today. I'm really looking forward to watching the TV special for the first time since 1977. I hope I can find time to do so over the weekend.

18. Silly comment. Dependable drives cost more than $30; drivers for my iMac and software for ripping is more $ and not necessarily easy to config on my computer.

19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've owned a $30 bluesy drive for over a year, ripped 100s of CDs, a dozen DVDs and another dozen Blu-Rays. It's never given me any problems. There's freeware to decrypt Blu-Rays that runs on Mac. Sounds to me that you don't want to do it and there's nothing wrong with that. But it's not too expensive

20. Believe what you like. I have a iMac with no place for an internal drive and the external drives I have looked into are more than $30 for something thats gets decent reliability ratings. Drivers and de-encrytion software may be available as freeware, but my experience with most freeware (excepting Audacity) has not been positive. Then there is the inevitable time it will take to get it working right on my system...and for what? Instrumental mixes I never wanted, or hi-def content that I find useless because I get zero extra enjoyment from it? I would like access to the plethora of demos available on the XTC releases and this remains the only reason so far I have entertained getting a bluRay disk drive for my iMac.

21. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

22. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

tootull likes this.
  24. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

tootull likes this.
  25. What multis are missing?

Thread Status: