Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Source.

This post here also generically mentions unreleased tracks.

tootull likes this.
  2. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Cool! The interview parts where IA talks about TOTRR deluxe can be read at Amazon UK in the look inside version of the Kindle version of ANDY magazine. It seems that this interview was in fact conducted a while ago.

3. Daniel Falaschi

Just speculating, but given that the unreleased tracks were recorded in Bruxelles (I guess with the Maison Rouge mobile unit), where the first night gig with John Glascock took place, is there the slightest chance that the mobile might have been also used to record the gig?
    Just dreaming I know...

4. Daniel Falaschi

Confirmed by Steven Wilson himself.

My stereo remixes of Jethro Tull’s Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play are now available as high definition digital downloads. As with the recently released HD download of Aqualung, the download version of Thick as a Brick is my own approved master, not the one used by EMI for the 2012 release on vinyl / CD.

I was very unhappy with the mastering done on this release, so much so that all subsequent Tull remixes have been released essentially as flat transfers of my mixes (so the HD download version of A Passion Play in this case is identical to that used for the physical editions).

The Tull 40th anniversary deluxe edition series will continue in chronological order with Too Old To Rock’n’Roll, Too Young to Die.

FVDnz, slipkid, Geir and 3 others like this.
  5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Does anybody know where they are available from?

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Kim Olesen likes this.
  7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

8. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

It should be all 15 tracks the last time I checked. Bear in mind that the original first 2 tracks Lifebeats and Prelude have been combined into one track for the remix hence what was originally 16 tracks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  9. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

APP MoFi
    [​IMG]
    APP 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FVDnz likes this.
  10. tootull

11. Daniel Falaschi

Posted in thejethrotullboard:

"The TOTRnRTYTD will include the TV special, Ian did have a few loose ends to work out. They have been ironed and it will be in the release, and with a few unearthed tracks. Some more goodies to be included."

At least two unreleased tracks confirmed by IA: Advertising Man, Commercial Traveller; recorded in Brussels.

Galeans, Geir, ribors and 3 others like this.
  12. tootull

Some more goodies to be included. Quad will be nice.

Plan9 likes this.
  13. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Cool, didn't know this album had a quad mix. Were there any others that haven't made it onto these sets?

tootull likes this.
  14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love TOO OLD TO ROCK 'N ROLL, TOO YOUNG TO DIE and SONGS FROM THE WOOD and really hope they get the deluxe treatment, both of them.

Jethro Tull lost me after that, I hate to say. I bought many of their albums after that, but kept none of them except Ian Anderson's WALK INTO LIGHT. I've since repurchased STORMWATCH and BROADSWORD AND THE BEAST on Compact Disc but truthfully, I still don't care for them. I've tried. I bought -- and still enjoy -- CREST OF A KNAVE but I really don't care much for most of what followed. I do enjoy Ian Anderson's spate of solo albums in the early 2000s. But he's lost me with the last couple. I thought THICK AS A BRICK 2 was a really bad idea and HOMO ERATICUS didn't do much for me, either. But I keep listening ... And hoping for another good one.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

What about Heavy Horses?

tootull and ParloFax like this.
  16. Daniel Falaschi

The best Tull record post MITG IMO.

Plan9 and Carserguev like this.
  17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

If there are unreleased studio tracks I am definitely getting this. Chequered flag, Salamander, Strip cartoon, Pied piper are typically strong tull tracks. 1976 looks like pulling away from 1975 in the tull catalogue. 1975 is tull weakest year of the 70s imo

18. Daniel Falaschi

I´m starting to imagine a CD+DVD edition as following:

CD remixed album +outakes
    DVD suround mixes, quad mix, flat transfers of original album, TV special

Don´t think there is much more to include. Maybe if there are many more outakes, then 2CD+2DVD to accomodate them.

19. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Quad? I don't think there is such a mix for this one. Ian said they only mixed three JT LPs into quad, those were Aqualung, War Child and Minstrel In The Gallery. There was a short-lived attempt to release MU in quad-only, which is why the quad mix of Aqualung appears on the stereo LP.

Galeans likes this.
  20. tootull

Warner are trying to include everything that they have found for every deluxe package.

Think quad. I want everyone to wish for quad and it will come true. MAKE THE WISH DAMMIT!

Galeans, tedhead, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  21. Daniel Falaschi

If Tootull says there is quad, then it´s safe to assume there is quad. Period.

tootull likes this.
  22. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Did he actually say that? In the post I saw, he said quad would be nice, and it would.

23. Daniel Falaschi

Well as far as it seems from the posts here, he has been involved in previous releases, and everything he has stated has come true...

tootull likes this.
  24. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I basically agree, being a lifelong Tull fan these were disappointments for the most part. I don't think I played either more then 2 times. Now, 'The Secret Language of Birds' I thought was excellent. The last thing he did to really move me.

rstamberg likes this.
  25. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I liked every album up-to-and including Broadsword and the Beast, but after that i felt that every album had one or three great tracks (Budapest, Another Christmas Song, Rocks on the Road) but lots of mediocre material. A Little Light Music was a fine live album and Roots to Branches was brilliant album, as is Ian's Secret Language of Birds, which is a big favourite if mine, but after the disappointing Dot Com album that things started to get weird: Rupi's Dance, Christmas Album and Ian's orchestral album, not to mention some incredible bad live albums, like Live at Montreux, Aqualung Live and the Living With The Past DVD, not to mention some truly bad live shows i witnessed.

And then, surprisingly, Thick as a Brick 2 i really liked. Homo Erraticus, too!

rstamberg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.